Midwest (Michigan/Ohio) Meet Discussion!

Comments

• The offer still stands for you to drive my car @Mosr
    Valnurana said:
    Assuming the date works, @Tecton and I would definitely meet up with you all at Cedar Point. Who can say no to roller coasters?
    This girl.  :-S 

Last summer Soaring Eagle killed it with their concerts and they're surely going to want to try to top it. I might just be saying that because it's a 15 minute drive for me, though.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited January 2014
    WHERE ARE WE GOING TO DO THIS
    GIVE ME AN ANSWER.

I don't know anywhere but the bars in Kzoo and Grand Rapids, so will need a tour guide.

@Lachlan: k. will find you and ride with you the rest of the way.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • I'm down for AA. We could all hit up Connor O'Neals. Irish pub that was moved over from Ireland brick by brick and added onto. Great GREAT food, reasonable drink prices.

• Lachlan said:

Yang said:
    Lachlan said:
    Yang said:
    I'm down! I grew up around central Michigan (Alma) 

How the fuck is that even possible.
    >.> I tried contacting you at one point but you never responded!
    I'm such a social person that I can't imagine why this would be a problem.  :-\"

Edit: Quoting is terrible.

Surely a drink at PK or Braveheart's would not have been the end of the world.. :D   A lot of my friends still live up in the Mt. P area. I'll let you know if I'm ever up that way.

Valnurana said:

There's also Michigan's Adventure
    FTFY :) I'm generally not an amusement park fan like Lachlan, but hey, I'd be up for it.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    I got excited because this said Ohio... Fuck you people and your Michigan shit. come down to MY neck of the woods. We'll go to King's Island, and get hammered at a bar later. Then inevitably, someone will get hurt.
  • OMG King's Island.  I haven't been there since I was like ummm 8
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • Well I'm from Michigan (Thanking God I moved and didn't have to live through THAT winter this year!)  And now live down in Kentucky...so anywhere between here and there I could totally be down for.  So if we actually set something up I'm probably in.

• edited January 2014
    I will be visiting ohio, from japan, in June. Might be cool to troll some of you IRL again. Lat time we did a summer meet we went to Ontario with a couple of trunks of booze - way more fun than ohio/michigan. #screwohio
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited January 2014
    I would absolutely love if this turned into a June Cedar Point trip! 
  • We will definitely visit Cedar Point in late June be it as part of this meet-up or not. Tag along! :D
  • edited February 2014
    Or early june. Sometime in June. I'm not sure yet. :> 

I don't even know where we'd be driving from but as @Jovolo said, We will be going! ^^

Edit: And y'all are welcome to come along.
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • I might be getting a season pass to Cedar Point this year since a buddy at work kind of talked me into it so there's a chance I could make a Cedar Point meet even if it's not the official one so please keep me posted :)

• Late june is my birthday. bring presents :D

• I'm not sure how I missed @Averi tagging me here, like, a month ago... But hell, why not. Anywhere is better than nowhere town. (Kent, we have a university! ... Nothing else though :( )

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • edited February 2014
    Since IronCon is a no-go, we'd like to grab the reins and make this meet official! June 21-22 is what we're tentatively looking at.

Saturday, June 21: the date falls right in the middle of Ann Arbor Summer Festival, so we'll start with a casual meet-up at one of the free outdoor venues starting around lunchtime/early afternoon. There's a lot of food vendors as far as dinner goes (or you can group up and go to a restaurant), and later we'll head to a bar for drinks. Exact locations TBA closer to the date.

Sunday, June 22: Cedar Point! Park opens at 10 am so we'll arrange to meet up there.

Obviously you'll need to arrange and pay for your own transportation, overnight accommodations, meals, and tickets if applicable. We'd love to see everyone both days, but if you'd rather just do one or the other you've got that option. Tecton and I will be around for both days, and maybe some other gods will join us! As the date approaches we'll keep this thread updated with more detailed info.
  • I'll be there exactly the week after. Haha. I'll look into coming a week earlier I s'pose. Don't want to miss it.
  • We can do June 28-29 as well. There's still plenty of time to change the dates, so anyone who has a strong preference please speak up here!
    edited February 2014
    I have no preference as it is a weekend and I do not work on weekends. I will need to ride share with someone though because my car is just... it gets me to work and back. That's about it at this point. It might make it to Cedar Point and back, but it would be on its last leg.

Eta: Actually, I'll just take Lachlan up on her offer. Will ride with her. That's sorted.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Fully cleared roadway, on the turnpike, speed limit's 70.

Oh hey look, there's a guy going 40.

SR8, speed limit 65. Why are you going 45 and randomly turning your hazard lights on and off?

On topic, we should totally con/drag/kidnap @Ourania and @Aurora out here, and not just because I want brownies. Really, honest, there's uh...a thing...that they should see...*gestures vaguely* *looks at fields full of rocks, because that's all Ohio has*

Uhh....we'll rock your world?

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • I think a big resounding 'FUCK OHIO' is in order. I hate driving through it. Recommend Connor O'Neill's for the bar meet. Not a better one there, but be warned it will be PACKED.

• edited February 2014
    School has a possibility of starting for me in July so those dates are good but any later would be bad. :< sounds fun. :>

Edit: it might be a lot of driving in two days though. Would it be better to split it between two weekends?
  • How about the Ann Arbor festival on the 21st, but then push back Cedar Point to the weekend after (27th)? That way, no one will have to drive for however many hours to Cedar Point after spending the night up enjoying the festival to its fullest! ^^
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Jovolo said:
    How about the Ann Arbor festival on the 21st, but then push back Cedar Point to the weekend after (27th)? That way, no one will have to drive for however many hours to Cedar Point after spending the night up enjoying the festival to its fullest! ^^
    This makes more sense. If there are two separate meets, it gives people a chance to coordinate to meet up either or both. Some people might be traveling from afar (like @Jovolo or maybe @Tahquil)
    The Ann Arbor meetup would likely have the biggest group since A2 is awesome and Ohio sucks ass. :)
  • I say yes to rollercoasters! Count me in on this Cedar Point trip.
  • Strata said:
    Anyone from Michigan (I grew up there but live in Ohio now) - advisory: Ohio drivers are really REALLY bad. Be sure to give yourself extra time for being stuck behind semi trucks and 1980's cutlass supremes going 15mph under the speed limit, and highway patrol pulling you over because you have out of state plates. Just sayin. :)
    I went to Ann Arbor last year, and I swear Michigan drivers are worse. I don't know if it was a game day (went to the Akron-Michigan game) so people were stupid, but no one had turn-signals on, and they were switching lanes like crazy before we got into game-day traffic.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Llyweith said:
    Strata said:
    Anyone from Michigan (I grew up there but live in Ohio now) - advisory: Ohio drivers are really REALLY bad. Be sure to give yourself extra time for being stuck behind semi trucks and 1980's cutlass supremes going 15mph under the speed limit, and highway patrol pulling you over because you have out of state plates. Just sayin. :)
    I went to Ann Arbor last year, and I swear Michigan drivers are worse. I don't know if it was a game day (went to the Akron-Michigan game) so people were stupid, but no one had turn-signals on, and they were switching lanes like crazy before we got into game-day traffic.
    That's actually how you're supposed to drive. If you're not from Michigan I'm afraid you can't possibly understand it. Michigan drivers are are seen as crazy by outsiders but are also the very polite and safe drivers. So we don't use turn signals and we drive 15mph over the speed limit everywhere and the cops don't care. Then you have a state like Ohio where their driver education courses don't even teach people how to drive on highways or parallel park (because Ohio is nothing but backroads and farms) - so people there think merge means come to a complete stop. They think a green light means wait 10 seconds and then drive 2mph through the intersection. They think it's acceptable to stop traffic in town because they saw their friend walking on the sidewalk or in another vehicle next to them. They also think it's acceptable to park right in front of the entrance to a wal-mart, let someone out, and then sit there for 20 minutes in a fire lane, blocking traffic, because "oh hold on! they'll be out in a minute!"
    As a Michigan driver, you would be infuriated and ready to literally run these downies off the road. But beware, even passing them can invoke Ohio rage. They will wave their cellphones at you. They will switch lanes in front of you for no reason at all and then slow down. They will then speed up when you try to pass them - so you can't pass them. Yes - Ohio has the highest levels of mental retardation in the country. And driving here is extremely dangerous for a Michigan driver.
  • I can make these with a little help. I can catch a train from Royal Oak to Ann Arbor, but I'd need a ride from there. For Cedar point, I would need to hitch a ride with someone for the full trip. Would anyone be willing to help?

I have undressed a god.

If people want to ride share, I'm coming from Grand Rapids, so if that requires me to drive to Lansing and then park it for the next leg, that's fine. I can pick people up on the way, assuming that the second leg has a vehicle that doesn't make weird noises when turning.