How is your ping?

2»

Comments

• RuthRuth Singapore
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• How in the hell do people living in different countries have a better ping and bandwith than I do?? Shit man, I'm like 400 miles from Chicago, and the guy that's 4000mi away can beat me in a ping war. 

• EllodinEllodin Hawaii
    edited February 2014
    They can't, they're pinging servers closer to them for the speed test.

edit: except Nemutaur, who does beat my Hawaii ping.
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    115 ms. Not excellent, but there is an entire ocean between us.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Rakon said:
    How in the hell do people living in different countries have a better ping and bandwith than I do?? Shit man, I'm like 400 miles from Chicago, and the guy that's 4000mi away can beat me in a ping war. 

That's because some of the other countries don't have a monopoly situation like we do in the states. We pay more for sub-par connectivity and bandwidth compared to most other countries. The internet can have an impact on your quality of life (in an either good or bad way, depending on how you look at it). Plus, the american public for the most part has no understanding of what's going on. They complain that internet should be cheaper and faster, but then they fall for the bait put out by the big wireless companies/cable companies every time. How many times have you heard "Our internet sucks, but I just got 5 sports channels free for 2 months and a DVR for $289.99/mo!!! WOOOOOT!!!" These are the same retards you see standing outside your local walmart at the RedBox kiosk, bitching that someone already rented out all the copies of some B-rated piece of shit that didn't get any viewings the theaters.

People are willing to overlook the fact that we are slowly being pushed back into a dialup era when they have all these carrots dangled over their heads in the form of Premium/Ultimate CONTENT packages or whatever marketing terms sound the best at the moment.

Why do companies like RedBox exist? Why are people still watching BluRay and DVD? Why do people actually pay money to netflix and end up not being able to watch 1/2 the shit anyway - because of intentional bad peering agreements between the ISP's and netflix? It's because our country's service providers are in the content business - not the connectivity business. They don't care if your ping times are 400ms to your next door neighbor as long as you're paying them $200/mo for HBO and a sports package that you end up having to DVR anyway because you're too busy working at your 9-5 to afford it in the first place.

tl;dr - 'merica.
  • edited February 2014

I average 17-20 links to achaea, and about 250-350ms latency, from Japan.  About 100ms of this is states-side, but traceroute doesn't usually show IRE's ISP as adding much latency.

I don't plan on living in the US any time soon, so I'm just learning to get used to being in retardation 100% of the time.  (about 110% of the time, if you factor in Earionduil/Bonko's contributions)
  • How do I ping between my computer and Achaea's servers?
  • Tahquil said:
    How do I ping between my computer and Achaea's servers?
    On Mac or Linux, open a terminal and run "traceroute www.achaea.com" (to get a Terminal on a Mac, go to Finder->Applications->Utilities->Terminal, I think). On Windows, from a command prompt, run "tracert www.achaea.com"; I think you can get to a command prompt by typing "cmd" in the search box on the start menu, but otherwise, just use that to search for "Command Prompt" and it should come up.
  • edited February 2014
    you can ping in mudlet.*

cecho("<white>\nLatency: ".. getNetworkLatency()*1000.. "ms")

*doesn't actually ping when you execute it, it uses the latency from the last prompt received.

• edited February 2014
    Oops wrong thread =P
  • I haven't noticed any real difference, and I wouldn't expect to get any better considering how bad my Internet is where my apartment is.