Help: Class Opinions - Most Utility?

Hi. I'm an old player returning. I'm very out of practice. I played a monk originally and then ended up a runewarden, which I am still, currently.

What I'd like to know is which class do you guys feel has the most utility? When I mean utility I mean fun non-pvp abilities. Things like quick travel methods, locating abilities, etc.

I'm really not into pvp, even less so in achea since I've never been too swift when it came to triggers and all the afflictions and their counters. So, a class that is really good at escaping or avoiding PvP all together would be nice.

Just looking for opinions and reasons why you guys think a certain class would fit the bill. Thank you!

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I feel that instead of focusing on a class good at escaping or avoiding PvP, you should consider focusing on finding a class that you think you'll have fun roleplaying as because of its lore and general ambience. Specially since combat mechanics are currently beyond your interest, and so the technicalities of each will ( or should not ) not weight overly in your  decision.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I've never had much problem with roleplay. I don't really ever start out with a plan for RP other than general temperment and a little back story. The rest I sort of just let happen.

So, the class is really all my concern.

Avoidance, travel, plus fun abilities that really don't involve combat are my interest.

I wish I could find a place where all the abilities were explained better. Than I could simply read up and decide.

• KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Serpent(Subterfuge is awesome.), Druid/Sentinel(Meta's crazy utility. Woodlore is super fun. Groves are... groves.).

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • Serpents can warp across the continent with wormholes, sneak around with a variety of abilities like hide, cloak, dash, and evade, use illusions for fun and mayhem, and phase shift which shifts your phase.

The three forestal classes have a ton of utility: tracking to anyone outdoors in bird morphs, prismatic barriers, teleporting through forests and jungles with their Groves, curing allies, and regenerating endurance and willpower in their Groves or with campfires.

Tarot classes can teleport back to a place they've been (Hermit), teleport to a laundry list of locations (Universe), and summon allies (Empress), among other things. This requires they spend significant time inscribing Tarot cards, though, as each ability requires flinging one.
  • Druid is pretty much the undisputed utility champion of the world.
  • Alchemist. We need enough keen RP types as we can get.
  • edited February 2014
    Not monk. We have basically no utility. :( But it's a really fun class to play and I wouldn't trade in mindnet or fullsense for anything!

It's like you're this master of your body, but you have to walk everywhere. Slowly.
    But gosh darn it, if there do exist some people who just can't handle the uniqueness of your snowflake...
    - Mathonwy

• Druid - Lyre and Barrier (really tough shield), Burrow (hard to explain, but it's great), Flying, Track (travel to outdoors people instantly), Foraging (free food), Swimming, Leap (leap over obstacles), Trees (swing up and down from frees), Concoctions (harvest your own curatives), Reflexes (lowers balance times), Grove Return (return to your grove from forest places), Grove Conceal (free super-veil in your groves), Flow (travel to others in the forest), Gate (open a portal between you and someone else), Summon (summon someone in the forest to your grove after a delay), Calling (call all your loyals to your grove, even if they are off plane and such), Isolation (transfer yourself to an off-plane grove with exits to each forest), Hive (sometimes free lessons, and replenishes some willpower), Grove Rain (replenish End and Willpower for everyone standing in your grove),  Vigour and Panacea (big heal over time and passive affliction curing).

Terrible formatting on this post but Druid really has it all.
    Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
  • So, it seems that it'd be a toss up between serpent, jester, and druid for me.

I know Jester can be a pretty good class, but I'm one of those people that fall in line with balloon giraffe's, jack in the box, and things like that are pretty ridiculous. So, I'm not sure I'd be okay playing a jester, even though they do seem to have everything I'm interested in. It'll take some time thinking it over.

Serpent seems pretty good. They do have quick travel and a lot of avoidance.

Druid sounds pretty good too. A ton of utility that I'm interested in, but how is their ability to avoid PVP or escaping?

All I really want to do is RP and bash in peace. So a class that can avoid pvp easily and one that allows me to travel around quickly and do more social things is ideal.

If Druids have some rock solid way of avoiding PVP, I think Druid might be the way to go. Just need a little more incite.

I appreciate all the really helpful answers thus far. Thank you very much.

• Avoiding pvp, nevertheless, is more a matter of how you behave, and what organizations you choose to be a part of/not be a part of, than the class you pick. Just food for thought, I suppose.
  • Daeir said:
    Serpent bashing is absolutely awful (amongst the worst in the game, even with good equipment) but being able to use wormholes with the mudlet crowdmapper allows for ludicrously quick travel, especially on conjunction with dash.
    Serpent bashing isn't that terrible. With a level 3 lash (an artefact whip with high speed) or a really good forged whip, they're one of the better bashing classes (probably around 7th place out of 17 classes) against all but the highest level denizens. Good damage and speed except against deathknight-level things, good tankiness (since you can go for full con spec without sacrificing offence, if you don't care about PvP), and good travel abilities.
  • Sylvan has almost as much non-combat utility as Druid but is better at escaping/avoiding combat in my opinion due to reflections, aerial (bypass tentacles etc), sandling (can burrow while prone). You just miss out on track, harmony, dash, leap maybe a few more.
  • Best utility, in my opinion: serpent, druid, occultist.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Druid, pretty much hands down (at least from me after playing Druid and Occultist) for best combat escaping.

Occultist gets Hermit, Universe, Istria, and Astralform, but beyond that most of its skills are of the killing variety. Even those are pretty predicable -- Universe only goes to set places, Hermit and Istria have to be prepared beforehand and have a limited use window, and Astralform takes a few seconds and can be pretty easy to stop if you know how.

Druid gets Return, Flow, Isolation, (no more Omniscience, cry) Eyes, Track, Burrow, Barrier (Grove and Nightingale variants), Leap, Elevate, Eject, Swing Staff, Portability...all of which are very useful for evading combat. My favourite tactic as a Druid, when I wanted to GTFO, tended to be Fly/Track (if outdoors and no forest) or Barrier (if indoors), didn't really matter who I Tracked to just AWAY, then Track to someone in the forest, Return, Flow to someone on the other end of the continent (away from where I Tracked to before), Return again, then Isolation. Usually it's because people were speedwalking to where I was, and if someone knows where your Grove is Return itself only delays combat by a few seconds, but by popping up at random points over the continent and then dropping an Isolation when you think they can't get back to your Grove in time to follow you in? Easy escape.

Priests can do a similar-ish thing with Pilgrimages and Deliverance and then Angel Refuge off to Nirvana, but I found Druid was far more slippery.

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • Sena said:
    Daeir said:
    Serpent bashing is absolutely awful (amongst the worst in the game, even with good equipment) but being able to use wormholes with the mudlet crowdmapper allows for ludicrously quick travel, especially on conjunction with dash.
    Serpent bashing isn't that terrible. With a level 3 lash (an artefact whip with high speed) or a really good forged whip, they're one of the better bashing classes (probably around 7th place out of 17 classes) against all but the highest level denizens. Good damage and speed except against deathknight-level things, good tankiness (since you can go for full con spec without sacrificing offence, if you don't care about PvP), and good travel abilities.
    You should just save this response to complaints about serpent bashing as a text file so you can just copy/paste it instead of typing the whole thing out every other day.