Withering Angel: Melodie's New Journey

MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
edited February 2014 in The Scarlattan Theatre
Okay so I stole Daeir's sword name for this thread because it's fairly appropriate more than most people know.

So everyone has been wondering what Melodie's been up to, as she's been pretty quiet. In reality, I have been waiting to be able to do the following bit of roleplay, but ICly, she's been reflecting and considering her next steps. After much hype, several emails, and some amusing conversations, the following took place in New Hope. I'm a bit numb and sad right now, but I hope to make those next steps soon towards... well, who knows?

Hope you folks enjoy.

Edit: A big, huge, emotion-filled thank you to @Deucalion who was entirely responsible for everything that followed. He absolutely did not have to do this in any way, and when I originally emailed events, I had expected no answer, and was just about to move on to something else when I suddenly got an email back (Aerek can confirm this by the way I started flipping out at him when I got it). It has made this transition a bit easier on me, and it has given me something special to always remember everything by, both in-game and in my own memory. Thank you, with all of my heart, for what you did and for what you do for Achaea.

---

Sheltered corner of the garden.
The stars twinkle in the clear night sky. Low-hanging branches from sweeping jacaranda trees and tall ferns conceal this secluded corner of the garden from view. Light violet blossoms dot the soft grass underfoot, and the sweet fragrance of tropical flowers is abundant. The edge of a small pond borders this haven, its faint ripple punctuated by an occasional splash as a fish leaps from the water. Beyond, the terrain rises steeply, the foot of the hills that protectively cradle the village. The shining figure of a guardian angel floats in the air here.
You see a single exit leading east.

(Spend some time calling people to witness. Thank you to @Daeir, @Halos, @Carmell, @Tessa, @Nellaundra, @Saeva, @Morthif, @Syth for attending on short notice, and the couple of randoms who wandered in during.)

Caefir Proselyte Daeir Wintermourne says in a pained voice, "What is this all about?"

Deepest Stygian night steals over the land as the symbolic hourglass empties and turns, ready to begin a new day.
It is now the 7th of Miraman, 647 years after the fall of the Seleucarian Empire.

You say to Daeir with a flowing, cultured accent, "I'll be... bidding farewell to Laurette, this month."

(Hasar drops in and throws a knife sigil at Daeir and runs off. That scrub.)

Halos scans the clearing, his dark eyes resting on Daeir before flicking to Carmell.

(Bit of time passes)

Saeva arrives from the east.
A water weird glides in from the east.

Saeva looks to you with concern.

In the crystal-clear night sky, the stars twinkle and glow brightly.

You have emoted: Melodie lets out a brief sigh, acknowledging those gathered before finally turning to a guardian angel floating nearby sorrowfully.

You say with a flowing, cultured accent, "Laurette, you've guided me since I was but a young girl in a girl's school, with no friends and nothing in mind to do with my life."

The guardian angel nods once, remembering.

You say with a flowing, cultured accent, "Even when I refused your presence at first, still you stubbornly sought me out, giving me visions of my life as a priestess - all my triumphs, all my failures. I nearly ran away from all of that, but you would not let me."

You have emoted: Melodie laces her fingers in front of her, furrowing her brow.

Laurette, a guardian angel says, "You had a spark in you I could not ignore."

You smile softly.

You say with a flowing, cultured accent, "We've been through the world, these last two hundred odd years. But I've failed in my duty as a priestess, and it seems it has come time to let go of that life... and in that, I must also say farewell to you, my best friend and soulmate."

The guardian angel sighs and her light dims slightly as she nods in agreement.

Stretching in a fiery arc that embraces the world, the triune rings of Achaea blaze in response to the first kiss of dawn.

The radiant sun shines all about you.

You say softly with a flowing, cultured accent, "It pains me to do so, Laurette, but it is time I let you go. I only wish there was something more I could do for you, for all of your service and friendship, through... everything."

Laurette, a guardian angel says, "You have done plenty, my friend. For many years we worked well together. Your path takes you another direction, and I do not think ill of you for it."

You have emoted: Melodie manages the smallest of smiles.

You say with a flowing, cultured accent, "Where will you go? Home, to Celestia? Or somewhere else?"

Laurette, a guardian angel says, "I will return to Celestia, yes. Perhaps I will find some new Priest or Priestess to accompany, and guide them on their way. You spoke of wishing to do something for me...rather, there is something I would do for you. Devotion no longer flows to you, so in time our partnership must end. You have chosen to move on, and I wish to make it easier."

You have emoted: Melodie looks somewhat taken aback, but after a brief moment, she nods.

From within the folds of her shimmering robes, the guardian angel produces a golden necklace.

You have emoted: Melodie lifts a golden necklace with a marble rose pendant up, examining it with obvious surprise and affection.

Golden chain links make up the majority of this simple, yet elegant necklace. Of moderate weight, the links are somewhat stylized and link together in a complex, woven pattern. The only adornment on the chain is a single marble rose. Carved to look as if it is about to open, the rose shimmers when moved about, a result of tiny impurities in the stone.
It has 148 months of usefulness left.
It weighs 4 ounce(s).

Epiphany raises an eyebrow at Saeva.

Saeva inclines her head to Epiphany quietly.

Laurette, a guardian angel says, "Take this necklace, a symbol of our time together."

You say softly with a flowing, cultured accent, "Oh Laurette... thank you. It's beautiful. I could have never asked for anything more than your service."

You say with a flowing, cultured accent, "I will be sure to guard it with my life."

The angel reaches out and touches the rose pendant upon the necklace briefly, and then caresses Melodie's cheek with a sad smile.

The marble rose upon your necklace shines gently for a moment before opening to reveal a glowing crystal sphere.

Golden chain links make up the majority of this simple, yet elegant necklace. Of moderate weight, the links are somewhat stylized and link together in a complex, woven pattern. The only adornment on the chain is a single, sparkling crystal sphere mounted within a small, white marble rose. Carved to look as if it is fully in bloom, the rose shimmers when moved about, a result of tiny impurities in the stone. The sphere itself gleams gently, a few motes of glowing white light dancing about within it.
It weighs 4 ounce(s).

Saeva tells you, "A difficult moment, but I am glad to see you for letting go, mother. I mustn't linger."

Saeva gives you a subtle nod and smile.

Saeva sucks in her breath, and with a mighty blast of air exhales while uttering a word of magic. Suddenly, she is lifted into the skies by an unseen force.

You have emoted: Melodie watches a golden necklace with a shimmering crystal orb pendant carefully, her expression tinged with a mixture of sadness and joy.

Laurette, a guardian angel says, "When you long for our days together, touch this and remember them. But know that, perhaps forever, our paths must turn apart now."

You say gently with a flowing, cultured accent, "I understand. I hope one day, perhaps, we may meet again... but if not, know I will always remember you, and cherish every precious moment we spent together."

Laurette, a guardian angel says, "So will I."

You smile softly.

You say with a flowing, cultured accent, "Farewell, Laurette. Be ever blessed, wherever you go."

You have emoted: Melodie looks up towards the heavens, and closes her eyes.

quit class
If you quit your class as a full member, you will lose all class skills and receive about half of the lessons back. If you wish to go ahead with quitting your class and losing half of the lessons you spent in those skills, then enter AGREE.

agree
You have gained 2573 lessons (about half of what you had spent in class skills) as a result of quitting your class.
You leave your class, ready to take a new path in life.

Daeir watches on quietly, devoid of all expression.

Nellaundra dips her head in a low, polite bow.

The angel nods once at her former partner, and with only the shadow of a tear in her eye, she turns and flies into the skies, her form fading from sight quickly as she crosses between realms.

Halos wrings his hands in dismay.

Carmell sways back and forth.

Epiphany sucks thoughtfully on her teeth.

Morthif lowers his head.

You have emoted: Melodie moves her gaze to stare after her angel, her expression solemn as a single tear traces down her cheek.

Tessa glances aside before lowering her head for a moment.

You sway as your vision fogs, and within your mind you see a hand banging rapidly upon the tight skin of a small drum.

A faint tinge pulls at Daeir's features briefly.

Caefir Proselyte Daeir Wintermourne says in a pained voice, "It is done, then."

Halos shakes his head with a sigh.

You have emoted: Melodie blinks and shudders briefly, before shaking her head and looking at the gathering.

A loud din fills your ears as the drum's skin vibrates with the percussive force before the vision leaves you.

You have emoted: Melodie rubs at her ears a few moments vigorously.

Tessa raises her head and offers you a weak smile of consolation.

You have emoted: Finally, Melodie shakes her head.

Poised at the very peak of the firmament, the fiery sun casts its radiant gaze across the land.

Nellaundra Ancyrion says quietly with a smooth Mhunish accent, "Better done than lingering."

Daeir nods faintly at Nellaundra.

You say painfully with a flowing, cultured accent, "It is done, yes. Thank you all for coming so suddenly. It means a lot to me to have you all here."

Syth gives you a compassionate hug.

You have emoted: Melodie glances down at herself.

You say awkwardly with a flowing, cultured accent, "I feel naked."

Caefir Proselyte Daeir Wintermourne says to you in a pained voice, "Where will you go now?"

Carmell tilts her head and listens intently to you.

Caefir Proselyte Daeir Wintermourne says to you in a pained voice, "Will you join your daughter in damnation?"

You have emoted: Melodie rubs at one of her ears absently, glancing west before returning her view.

You say with a flowing, cultured accent, "I will wander a time."

Tessa creases her brow in a frown.

You say with a flowing, cultured accent, "Everything... everything has changed. I will need time to clear my mind, my heart. Find what makes sense to have a purpose in again."

touch pendant
You touch the glowing sphere upon your necklace and feel a warmth spread through your body, the memories of your angel bringing you calm and serenity.

Nellaundra tilts her head back and looks up at the sky.

Nellaundra Ancyrion says with a smooth Mhunish accent, "Walk however long you need to. Sometimes, all you need is to view it from another vantage."

Aerek arrives from the east.

Tessa lowers her head respectfully before Aerek.

Daeir inclines his head politely at Aerek.

Aerek lowers his head respectfully.

You have emoted: Melodie brightens slightly as she smiles at Aerek.

You see the following people here:
Syth, Carmell, Morthif, Tessa, Halos, Nellaundra, Daeir, Aerek, Micaelis, Melodie

Halos nods stiffly at Aerek.

Nellaundra offers Aerek a smile and a salute.

You say with a flowing, cultured accent, "I'll do as I have to. Wandering seems the way to find one's way, and so I shall."

You say with a flowing, cultured accent, "Where I'll go, I imagine I'll discover, soon."

Caefir Proselyte Daeir Wintermourne says to you in a pained voice, "Do not stray too far from the path, old friend. That is all I ask."

You have emoted: Melodie nods once at Daeir.

You say ambiguously with a flowing, cultured accent, "We will see."

Purifier Halos Vorondil, Caefir Priest frowns and says, "We will see."

Carmell nods her head at Halos, showing her acceptance.

Emotion suddenly floods into Daeir's features as he shakes free from the Sanya stance, staring at you intently.

Caefir Proselyte Daeir Wintermourne says quietly to you in a pained voice, "We will see, indeed."

Daeir puts on a pair of eagle's wings.

Caefir Proselyte Daeir Wintermourne says something unintelligible.
Daeir is swiftly carried into the skies and out of sight by a pair of eagle's wings.
Gliding effortlessly upon unseen currents, a spectral crow departs to the ether.
And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby

Comments

• And your new journey begins. It was a nice moment you got to have with her.

• I only briefly skimmed, as I'm about two minutes from bed, but i seriously considered dropping by randomly to check in when I heard it mentioned over HT. Sadly I was halfway back from Meropis at the time anyway, and aside from the brief encounter with Verily Kei has no clue about Mel and would just be dropping by out of curiousity that 'something' was happening (and that we shouldn't interfere, because it was important). That said...I always enjoy reading your RP logs, and I look forward to reading it in detail tomorrow. Thanks for sharing, as always!

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • I swear to God, I shed like, a tear of sadness and a tear of anxiety and anticipation for you.
    I have a lot of respect for female players; and those who can roleplay and play Achaea like it was meant to be played.

I wish you and Melodie luck on your journey; I know you guys will find the right places. :)
  • edited February 2014
    Does this mean we can grief @Melodie now? 
    NONE OF YOU PEOPLE HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR.

• I don't know you and to be frank I don't know the entire situation in regards to your falling out with Targossas, but I always liked @Melodie in the game from the very brief and fleeting moments I did encounter her. I got a lot of mixed messages of, "She knew better and deserved to be ex-comm'd" vs "She made a mistake and it didn't warrant that". When Melodie was ex communicated I had expected her to do what anyone else (including Jovie) would do: join the 'bad guys' in revenge. It is nice to see that Melodie didn't stoop to that level, and instead of taking this as a reason to be mad, you as the player took it as a reason to turn it into a life experience for your character. That is very commendable.

In short, thank you for sharing this. I'm sorry I didn't get to see it first-hand in the game. I'm also sorry that events out of your control had to lead up to this point. I know that I as the player behind Jovie would love to one day interact with Melodie beyond those tells/messages of 'YO X IS GOING TO WHERE UR GOING GET OOUUWWWTT!'.
    But gosh darn it, if there do exist some people who just can't handle the uniqueness of your snowflake...
    - Mathonwy

• @Melodie : Then I suppose your answer to my secret proposition is no. Oh well! Best of luck in your wanderings, Siddy will always be there if you need her skills.

• What a lovely little scene. There is little else I can say about it other then that. :)
  • Am I the only one wondering why an angel is sad to leave a priestess that got excommed for a second time? Like I imagine it being less "I'm so sorry" and more "girl you dumb". It was a lovely scene and everything, but what?

i'm a rebel

• @Melodie A deep and sorrowful event. Moreso with the conversation between Tess and Mel later in the evening. Excellent RP that I'm glad to have be a part of.
  • I don't think anyone who said Melodie just got caught in the cross-fire and made an example of knows what they're talking about, but it's moot. My example was pretty extreme, but I think maybe care with a tinge of disappointment would fit more than unquestionable loyalty and sympathy. But who am I to judge! I'm glad you found a path that works for you. I hope you enjoy it!

i'm a rebel

• Learn more about the whole situation first :)
  • Nim said:
    It's an angel. Why would it have anything less than supreme grace regarding the situation?
    I don't know much about Targossas/priests, but if angels represent the Light, I'd be more inclined to see them as fanatical and extreme nowdays. :p

Except Melodie's. Laurette would be one of the nice ones. Because Melodie.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    I have always thought that angels too would have factions in Celestia like daemons do in the Inferno.

At any rate, I like the little log, @Melodie.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• THE SNARK IS REAL.

• I have now had a chance to sit and read the log properly, and you know my response to it, @Melodie

Although I do hope she'll react to it too, your reaction was more than enough to make me happy in kind.

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • Tesha, I hope every time you majorly mess up; your Angel comes out of no where and says,
    'You dumb #$%&'

Like wow, if I was someone's spiritual guide and friend and companion no matter what for over two centuries; there would be remorse from me. Considering that it was also roleplayed that her Angel was there before Melodie rightly became a priestess; states the fact that even when Melodie tried to stray from her path when she was younger; or struggled to stay on the path of a priestess at any point in her journey her Angel was there for her. Like, really, I really hope you're the only damn one wonder why her Angel was sad. It was beautifully played out; and in the end, the Angel did leave; so there you go Tesha.

(Psst, Melodie, join Mhaldor!)
  • CarmellCarmell Eastern Washington
    Having been a priest for some 280 years or so.  I said during this that I couldn't imagine losing my angel.  The connection between a priest and an Angel is a special one.  Like Deucalion said someone that has only been a priest for 10 rl years might not have the same thought process as someone who's only been a priest for a few RL months when it comes to their angel.

• Naah said:

(Psst, Melodie, join Mhaldor!)
    The Malevolent one beckons. Answer, my pretty!  >:)

• edited February 2014
    Nim said:
    Tesha said:
    Naah said:
    Tesha, I hope every time you majorly mess up; your Angel comes out of no where and says,
    'You dumb #$%&'

Me too that would be epic.
    Now I want to play a priest with a crude drunkard angel who harshly criticizes everything I do, but sometimes, just sometimes, when I do everything right, I get a pat on the head or something. :(
    Become a Sartai.

Just replace 'drunken' with, 'really really mean.'
  • @Naah's abuse of semicolons would be reason enough for me to excomm her if she was a priest.

That said, angels have never seemed particularly human to me in terms of things like conscience, remorse and all that frippery. I wouldn't really expect any reaction when the connection between angel and priest is severed.

Nowadays, though, I would've expected the angels and the hierarchs of Celestia to take a dim view of anybody who gets excommed, but it's all really much of a muchness. This is something we can establish as canon from now on with Deucora visiting Celestia and bringing them to heel, as Babel did with Golgotha. Not a big deal.

• @Melodie A bittersweet time, good luck on the next chapter of your journey!

• Silas said:
    @Naah's abuse of semicolons would be reason enough for me to excomm her if she was a priest. That said, angels have never seemed particularly human to me in terms of things like conscience, remorse and all that frippery. I wouldn't really expect any reaction when the connection between angel and priest is severed. Nowadays, though, I would've expected the angels and the hierarchs of Celestia to take a dim view of anybody who gets excommed, but it's all really much of a muchness. This is something we can establish as canon from now on with Deucora visiting Celestia and bringing them to heel, as Babel did with Golgotha. Not a big deal.
    This is how semicolons get stereotyped by English professors - and the dash, how I love you both.  Miss you!  See you in a few years.  Never forget what we had.  So, um, I guess this must mean Mel's going Runie and joining the Wardens?  I was also surprised by the "niceness" of the angel (although as mentioned, it is Melodie), mainly because of Good's firmly established new direction, and along with that, either Tecton or Sarapis was discussing the nature of angels sometime back, and said something to the effect of "angels are terrifying creatures that are frightening to look at, much less cuddle".  Not that there was cuddling here, but well, I can see why people would find that aspect of log to be a bit of a headscratcher.