The Anime and Manga Thread

Once again, we discuss about all things anime and manga, from favorite series, fandoms, pairings and music, to discussions about your favorite PVC figurines and artbooks. Talk about it here in this thread!

Comments

• Frigging weaboos.

I actually haven't been catching up on my huge backlog, to be honest, as I am quite distracted by Star Trek. I -am- considering taking up the rest of the Ghost in the Shell franchise, as well as finishing off whatever Natsume Yuujinchou I haven't watched.

That said, I still am at a loss on what to download next. Ah, well, cross the bridge after you've plowed through 20 seasons of Star Trek!

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • I've just started watching Moribito. It reminds me of Avatar (Airbender) for some reason. It's great!

• Not sure what all you have seen but...

Elfen Leid
    Deadman Wonderland and Mirai Nikki are really good if you are looking for something bloody and somewhat strange at times.

Both the Full Metal Alchemists (the first one and Brotherhood) are good but Brotherhood has a better over all story.

Death Note is really good too...
  • EiredhelEiredhel California
    Currently re-watching Ergo-Proxy WUB WUB WUBBBBB

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

• Erasariel
     said:
    I actually haven't been catching up on my huge backlog, to be honest, as I am quite distracted by Star Trek. I -am- considering taking up the rest of theGhost in the Shell franchise, as well as finishing off whatever Natsume Yuujinchou I haven't watched.
    You have excellent taste. Love love love Natsume Yuujinchou. Haven't watched any anime for a longass time besides rewatching it waaay too many times. Only others that stood out in my memory are Pumpkin Scissors and Usagi Drop, and a super long time ago Witch Hunter Robin. I like the short stuff, the only long series I didn't get sick of and ditch is Gintama.
  • Currently re-watching Baka to Test to Shokanjuu. It's hilarious and adorable.

• Recently finished Kaiba, Dennou Coil, Deadman Wonderland and Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

PMMM……just………awesome. I got my brother into it and he hates the magical girl genre, but after I told him how this pretty much is the new benchmark for dark twisted parallels it was pretty much set.

And Usagi Drop is also simply beautiful in its execution.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Fate/Zero, it is mildly entertaining but would drop it if I found something better.
  • Deadman Wonderland was goodish, but he gets buffed up too quickly. Elfen Lied was amazing. Mirrai Nikki was pretty good. Watched those three in the last two months. All time favourite would probably be Code Geass.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Oh that reminds me, I just finished  Guilty Crown, its plot bears a striking resemblance to Code Geass.
  • edited August 2012
    I heard to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes (heard it's similar to Code Geass), but the animation was too good for me.
  • LoGH is, without a doubt, the closest to a literary epic you can have in anime.

The art gets much, much better later on - for a twenty year-old work, it had damn good art. I loved the story and the nuances and tone and twists and turns- it certainly is worth watching, I assure you.

All it asks is patience.

• I can't do it.
  • edited August 2012
    :P too bad then.

I'd recommend Tytania then - same author, somewhat similar setting, and more fit for today's anime standards, length-wise and art-wise

• I've never watched much anime, in fact, I only remember watching Animatrix ages ago. It was quite good.
    Could someone recommend me something with a good story? I don't want anything ultra-epic and I don't care about animation quality. Preferably something unusual/surreal.

• Zyvix said:
    I can't do it.
    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're there.
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • edited August 2012

@Thaumas You might like Paprika or Millennium Actress or even Mushishi.
  • @Thaumas: Uh. Haibane-Renmei? LoGH isn't surreal, but it's as close to a literary epic anime will ever have, and it's so good (and it's not even the space battles that stuck to me).

• edited August 2012
    Soulspear. (End of Evangelion spoilers)

@Thaumas: Ghost in the Shell was the primary inspiration for The Matrix, if that catches your fancy. As far as series go, Steins;Gate is a time travel story and Serial Experiments Lain deals with issues of online identity. I'm not sure what would qualify for "surreal" outside of Satoshi Kon's oeuvre (which has already been suggested), but if you liked The Animatrix, those are pretty similar.
  • Seconded on Paprika and Millenium Actress. Anything by Satoshi Kon, really.

Been watching Samurai Champloo recently, which is good so far. You might like Cowboy Bebop too.
  • Been watching Naruto for the first time, after reading for almost 2 years now. Just got passed the Zabuza and Haku fight, always makes me sad in the end
  • Yeah anything by Satoshi Kon (RIP), Yoshitoshi ABe and Mamoru Oshii are selling points for me.

And Yoko Kanno for music.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• Oh definitely yoko kanno.

Ghost in the Shell is great, though each iteration of it is quite different. Give Standalone Complex a look. Since its a series, there's more to watch, and it has the best opening music evar (there's Yoko Kanno again). It also spreads the love to the supporting cast a bit more, so its not just all Batou and the Major. Also, Tachikomas :D
  • edited August 2012
  • I just watched Hellsing OVA 9, loved it. I got so used to waiting for the 8th OVA that I forgot to check when a new one would be out.
  • While its more of a parody of anime rather than anime itself, I have to point out the stuff from Team Four Star, especially Dragonball Z Abridged. Freakin hilarious all the way through, and I mean pants-wetting funny. The few episodes of Hellsing Abridged they did rock too.

• So gonna start watching this now
  • I've watched quite a bit, but my favorites as of right now are:
    X TV
    Kuroshitsuji
    Hellsing
    Trigun
    Fruits Basket
    GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka)
    Fushigi Yuugi
    Deathnote
  • Susurrus said:
    While its more of a parody of anime rather than anime itself, I have to point out the stuff from Team Four Star, especially Dragonball Z Abridged. Freakin hilarious all the way through, and I mean pants-wetting funny. The few episodes of Hellsing Abridged they did rock too.
    Ha, Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged gets my sides every single time.