Targossas vs Ashtan

edited February 2014 in North of Thera
Hello everyone

I am trying to understand the difference between Ashtan and Targossas. Any help on this would be great.

Thank you

Comments

• Ashtan seems to be more neutral-evil and focused on Chaos magics; as they are home to the Occultists.
    Targossas is focused on Creation, Truth, and Light.

That's a very basic answer; you should make a character; and find out about each faction yourself! You'll never know or be able to choose where you want to be simply through asking; you've gotta try! :)
  • Maroman said:
    Hello everyone

I am trying to understand the difference between Ashtan and Targossas. Any help on this would be great.

Thank you
    The spelling.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Naah said:
    Ashtan seems to be more neutral-evil and focused on Chaos magics; as they are home to the Occultists.
    Targossas is focused on Creation, Truth, and Light.

That's a very basic answer; you should make a character; and find out about each faction yourself! You'll never know or be able to choose where you want to be simply through asking; you've gotta try! :)
    I am currently in game in Targossas. And in reading, it seems to me that both cities are in their own way for freedom, if I may put it so
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    Don't believe the hype and propaganda (well, not all of it).

The help files are only give a basic idea of philosophy and don't really give a feel for what life is like on the ground in any city culture-wise. You can find some really well-informed opinions about similarities and differences, but if really want to know, create a character in that city, like @Naah suggested. 

Often the differences in culture, laws, history, politics, and overall worldview make for a very different playing experience.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Blujixapug), the fact is that most won't even be worth the time it takes for you to read them

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited February 2014
    Jhui said:
    If you plan to be an 18 year old Siren, Targossas is the place to be.  I know just the person that will make you feel at home.

Otherwise, Ashtan.

Unless you don't want to PK, then back to Targ.
    Doesn't Ashtan have one of those, for Sirens?

So it's down to whether or not he wants to PK, right?

Edit: My bad. Ashtan's one doesn't discriminate on what race you are. Can even be a horkval-grook-xoran hybrid and it won't matter.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Nobody forces combat in Ashtan. It is strongly encouraged and we've some of the best experts that are always willing to teach interested folk, but participation is entirely optional.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Not to mention a statue of @Tanris. What more could you want from a city.

• Daeir said:
    As has already been said, asking these questions IG is the best approach. Totter over to Ashtan and Targossas on your character and have a chat to some of the locals, or just wander around.
    Probably best not to totter over to Targossas in case they just up and kill you/city enemy you.
  • HhaosHhaos Cortland, Ohio
    Ashtan wins, there problem solved
    edited February 2014
    @BlujixapugThe thing is, you are as likely to get a partisan answer here. At least in game it'll come with some roleplay. 

• Surely the best way would be to create a character in each, find out as much as you can from the city's internal help files, interactions you have with other citizens, and decide which fits you best and which you feel you'd have the most enjoyable time playing in. That might be more effort than you're looking to put in, though.
  • I'm unsure why Targossians can't even give a general overview of their city, and continually assert that they'll get a good idea of the city only by playing.

Someone wants to get an idea of your city beyond HELP TARGOSSAS without running through an entire novice intro, I'm pretty sure you're all putting more effort into avoiding the question than it would take to answer.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Jarrod said:
    I'm unsure why Targossians can't even give a general overview of their city, and continually assert that they'll get a good idea of the city only by playing.

Someone wants to get an idea of your city beyond HELP TARGOSSAS without running through an entire novice intro, I'm pretty sure you're all putting more effort into avoiding the question than it would take to answer.
    Everyone's experience is different. Also, people forget that Targossas is, what, less than or just a little more than a real life year old. Arguably, it isn't a 'complete' city with the absence of Houses. Finding a hardcore identity isn't too difficult with the assistance of the Bloodsworn/Orders, but that's just the skeleton of it. So it isn't that we "can't" give a 'general overview' that doesn't copycat off HELP TARGOSSAS, it's that we don't even fully know what all the city has to offer just yet. I know it is easy to overlook so hopefully this just served as a friendly reminder. Targ is brand new, and it will take some adjustments even after so long for the playerbase in the city to settle.
    But gosh darn it, if there do exist some people who just can't handle the uniqueness of your snowflake...
    - Mathonwy

• edited February 2014
    I still think being told about the city is a poor substitute for actually experiencing it, but in general terms:

What Targossas is all about is summed up pretty nicely in HELP TARGOSSAS. I don't think there's any point in me reiterating that since I suspect you're interested less in what the ideals are in general terms and more in knowing what it's actually like playing in the city.

First thing, and this is pretty big: It's probably the most restrictive city to play in. Since we're the Good (with a capital G!) guys there's obviously an expectation that citizens act accordingly. So while you won't be told "You're not allowed to hunt." or "You're not allowed to rob people." or "You're not allowed to be an assassin." you will be told "You're not allowed to hunt in these places or rob from these people." After all, we can't have people who have sworn to protect Creation going around killing the same innocent villagers they're supposed to be protecting.

It's all about service to the Bloodsworn (the Gods Aurora and Deucalion), and your oaths to the city come before anything else. That means that if, in the course of playing, your character finds him or herself in a situation where there's a conflict of interest you'll be expected to put the city first. For example, let's say you meet a nice girl, the two of you fall in love, and your get married. Later on your wife decides she wants to join Ashtan, or Mhaldor, or Hashan or become a Necromancer, or an Occultist, or a Shaman, if that happened you would be expected to divorce her. You don't have to, of course, but your only other option would be to quit the city - you can't continue a relationship that would conflict with fulfilling your oath to the city.

That brings me on to the final point: We have a lot of enemies. Ashtan (Chaos), Mhaldor (Evil) and Hashan (Darkness) are cities we'd be considered hostile with (even if that's not officially reflected by the in-game War system). If you want to play somebody who can travel everywhere, be friends with anyone, and generally be an all around nice guy, Targossas isn't for you. You should expect to encounter open hostility in half the cities in the game, plus likely elements in the other two cities that may not be particularly happy about your existence purely based on your citizenship.

EDIT: Lied. One final thing, which Jovie kind of touched upon: Targossas is still in the process of being built. On one hand, that's kind of cool because you get the unique experience of seeing a city and its associated Houses (when we get them - hopefully soon!) being built, traditions being started, etc. On the other, it does mean we're lacking certain things right now, especially shops that are well stocked for certain types of supplies.
    @Antonius You missed the other thing @jovie kind of touched upon:

Jovie said:
    Ya'll are a bunch of hilarious assholes.

But still assholes.

:P

• Thread should have ended after Bluji's posts.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    edited February 2014
    I know when I first start playing a game and im like hrm Horde or Alliance I look into these types of things

What's the advantages and disadvantages of both?

The Advantages of Targ are the classes Paladin and Priest are open to you. (and also can be your allies)
    Priests can give you blessings which lowers the amount of damage you can take. and regain stats faster. they can also deliver you (summon you to them)

The Advantages of Ashtan are The class Occultist is open to you (and can also be your allies). the bonuses Occultists give you is that you can be summoned to them with tarot (requires lust)

Disadvantages? Targ does not have access to the Occultist,infernal,Apostate,Shaman,Slyvan,Sentinel, and Druid classes. and you will not allowed to be apart of any non targ order or non targ house, your limited to what you can hunt (doesn't really matter to much) and it's generally harder to be the "good guy", and Targ does not have houses (I always hated houses personally)

Ashtan does not have access to Priest,Paladin,Apostate,Slyvan,sentinel and druid classes.

Roleplay wise Targ is heavly based on being the good guys and follow the orders of the bloodsworn gods. if the gods say to do something we do it. This reduces what we are allowed to hunt. and generally that's about it.

Ashtan: To be honest I have no clue wtf Ashtan roleplay is if they actually have city roleplay at all. someone else can add this in for me later.

-----
    As far as the people go generally the people of your city are going to be nice while you're in the same city with them. I'm sure both cities have assholes and both cities have nice people. As far as city hostilities go people get randomly ganked alot -if you've done something-.

-----
    All and all I don't see much actually different between Targ and Ashtan it's just what you want to do.

• Ashtan does not have roleplay. How do you not know this already.

Unless you're @Strata. Then lots of RP.