Video Games

Comments

• Vasool said:
    Thaumas said:
    I rediscovered my first online game: LEGEND OF THE RED DRAGON !!!!! (Can a BBS be considered online?)
    Pfft, we just called it L.O.R.D. back in 'the day'.  There was another BBS game I used to play, something about being in an insane assylum and trying to break out/wreak havoc. I can't remember what it was called atm.

Also, from same era, I loved Ascendancy. Ahh, nostalgia rising.
    I played LORD all the time back in the day along with Swords of Chaos. I originally logged onto the BBS to play Doom 2 but quickly got sucked into those early text RPG games. I vaguely remember the insane asylum one too but I don't recall the title.
  • edited October 2012
    Been obsessively playing Dead Island with a friend the past coupl'a days.  Gotten Sam B to level 48 or so, have a collection of incredibly badass weapons, and we're not even through the story yet!  The Arena DLC is just freaking crazy for how strong it makes us.
  • Resident Evil 6 = behind on work
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Supreme Commander was mentioned earlier in this thread and I'd like to say that one of my all time favorites is its predecessor, Total Annihilation by the now-defunct Cavedog.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • huh

got pokemon black and white 2 today

lost first random battle because the thing didn't stay caught and then crit killed my starter

...that's not a good sign :(
  • TuroiTuroi Missouri :(
    Borderlands 2.. it fulfills my need to try to open every container that I come across IRL..

"Slowly disappear. Never really here."

• Has anyone picked up Dishonored this week? I've been playing it a lot since it came out on Tuesday, and I'm impressed by the nearly limitless possibilities it gives you for completing missions and tasks.

For those not familiar with this title, it's a stealth action RPG set in a steampunk world, with a really neat storyline involving the occult and religion.
  • Dishonored is awesome, but I have one major problem with it: it gives you this awesome, huge arsenal of creative and downright cool ways to kill enemies, then it spends the whole game encouraging you NOT to kill and instead use the one-button knockout so your story doesn't go bad.
  • Penwize said:
    Dishonored is awesome, but I have one major problem with it: it gives you this awesome, huge arsenal of creative and downright cool ways to kill enemies, then it spends the whole game encouraging you NOT to kill and instead use the one-button knockout so your story doesn't go bad.
    It definitely feels like they throw the nonlethal alternatives at you and almost make them seem impossible to ignore. But I'm looking forward to my second playthrough.
  • Penwize said:
    Dishonored is awesome, but I have one major problem with it: it gives you this awesome, huge arsenal of creative and downright cool ways to kill enemies, then it spends the whole game encouraging you NOT to kill and instead use the one-button knockout so your story doesn't go bad.
    A suggestion for the developers - make more fun and creative ways to knockout people, so the no-kill crowd won't feel cheated out.

• Synbios said:
    Penwize said:
    A suggestion for the developers - make more fun and creative ways to knockout people, so the no-kill crowd won't feel cheated out.
    I was hoping there'd be a way to drop-knockout someone, but I can't get it to work. I just end up dropping on his head and alerting him to my presence.

After having played RE6, is it wrong if I find Sherry and Ada to be ridiculously attractive?

• Been playing the new X-Com: Enemy Unknown remake. I was really not expecting much after all the failed remakes before but this one is actually a lot of fun. It plays smoothly, looks good, has a decent UI, has a nice scary atmosphere like it should, gets you to care for your soldiers and generally has decent writing and characters that add to the game instead of being annoying.

On the minus side: A bit dumbed down since you only manage one base now, also you do not manage stocks and staff as in depth as in the original, this also means no base attacks which was always something I loved. Also if you remove someone from the squad, their equipment is not available to other soldiers, you have to add the old soldier in, remove all his items and then can assign to the new guy. I guess it is nice that each guy keeps his spec but with the very slim budget you work with, especially on the classic difficulty, you usually end up sharing equipment between missions.

Still, the best remake I have seen so far. Only other complaint I have is that they did not make the mission sound track as scary as they could have. Apart from that, solid, addictive, fun.

• EllodinEllodin Hawaii
    edited October 2012
    nba 2k13 is a lot of fun.  the change to control scheme is lots of fun, results in more ankle breakers.  penetrating the defense with the ball is a little more difficult than running there in a relatively straight line.  you need to legit close out on shooters if you don't want to get hit with "allow man to score" constantly.  signature skills are neat.  music choice is great (having jay-z for that is pretty sweet, and his involvement with the brooklyn nets is also pretty cool, if overblown).

edit: downside is that there are less "legends" available.  probably licensing issues or something, but no kareem and no dr. j is really weird.  that said, create a legend mode lets you put those past players on current teams, which means i was playing as dominique wilkins on the current lakers.
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • Tagg said:
    omg they did an Earthworm Jim HD remake on XBL, and nobody told me, but I just discovered it. LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    Gods I lost an entire December holiday to Earthworm Jim many years ago. Why don't they make platformers like that anymore?

• TuroiTuroi Missouri :(
    Arador said:
    Tagg said:
    omg they did an Earthworm Jim HD remake on XBL, and nobody told me, but I just discovered it. LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    Gods I lost an entire December holiday to Earthworm Jim many years ago. Why don't they make platformers like that anymore?
    I blame Boogerman

"Slowly disappear. Never really here."

• Tagg said:

I was that excited when I found out about Toejam and Earl on the PS3!
  • @Tagg Black/white 2 any good and/or worth playing? Fan of the series but haven't played any 5th gen yet.

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• I hope I'm not alone in saying this, but...

RE6 SUUUUCKS badly! :(

I -am- the Cataclysm Switchblade.
  • They're a lot better than the original Black/White, as there is a fairly diverse amount of pokemon you can catch from various generations starting out, unlike 1 where you have to wait until after you've beaten the elite 4 to unlock national pokemon, so you're stuck with the terrible gen 5 selection until then.

Issue might be that it's a direct follow-up to the story of 1, but from what I played there really wasn't anything that necessitated knowledge of the story, other than some cameos by characters you wouldn't otherwise know. I did like what I played (I believe I hit the first 3 gyms before I quit), and if this had been the original Black/White I would've bought it in a heartbeat and played the hell out of it, but Black/White kind of soiled me on the Pokemon experience. If you don't mind missing the story of the originals, I'd say skipping them and just playing 2 would be the better option.
  • Tagg said:
    GROOOOOVY!

• Dark Souls for the moment, trying not to pull my hair out in frustration. :P
  • I stopped playing that when I slammed my fist down in frustration and broke my keyboard in two.

Currently playing the Kerbal space program. I managed to make Jebediah scream!

• Arador said:
    I stopped playing that when I slammed my fist down in frustration and broke my keyboard in two. Currently playing the Kerbal space program. I managed to make Jebediah scream!
    What in the ever screaming Christ did you do to MANAGE that?
  • I really massive rocket that tore itself apart on take-off. Best of all, they survived!

• RE6 a fun game if you're not going into it expecting a survival horror classic RE experience.

Don't really understand how people thought it was going to play like that after RE5, but eh.

Dark Souls is great, but it takes a certain type of person to really enjoy the challenge. Combat too slow and mechanical for me, I'm impatient as hell lol. DMC much more my style, wanna be tearing around all over the screen slashing tens of things in half within seconds.
  • Yeah, it's too challenging for me.. trying find a build so I can withstand a lot of pain lol. I might trade it for something better.
  • Pretty necessary to rock sword+shield and keep your equipment weight as light as possible so you have the max dodge speed. Requires very good skills in that game to do anything else.

Or abuse the hell out of the game system and have the heaviest armor you can find + iron flesh, which makes you take approximately no damage from anything. That might've been patched though, it was hilariously dumb. I beat the final boss without blocking once with that though.
  • I bought a used copy of Civilization II from a thrift store today. Much fun was had.

(it's multiplayer, too! I don't know how to make that work though :P)

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)