Inarticulate Bard

Couldn't think of a better topic title. Basically, what I'm wondering about is this: Has anyone else tried to play a character more creative than themselves? How hard is it to "fake" something like that? If I'm terrible with words and couldn't write even a mediocre poem or song if my life depended on it, and would have trouble even writing good descriptions for physical artwork (sculptures, paintings, etc.), how likely is it that I could play an artist or singer?

This is something I've always been curious about, but I've never tried. For my new character though, I've been thinking of trying something entirely outside my comfort zone, and wanted to get some thoughts on it.

On a related note, given the above deficiencies, how hard a time would I have in Ty Beirdd? I know almost nothing about the house, could I get very far without good writing skills?

Comments

• I was bard for a good while after I left Shallam. I enjoyed the class, but I know nothing about musical theory/terminology on an OOC level, and I felt that it really hindered my ability to engage in that aspect of roleplay. My only saving grace, unoriginal though it undoubtedly was, is that I sort of gave Mathonwy the Dunning-Kruger treatment in that area, and his/my utter inability to do basic bard-type stuff but yet be unaware of how incompetent he was became something of a running joke among that crowd that still gets referenced occasionally to this day (at least when @Terra can be bothered to log in :( ).

On the other hand, playing as a bard actually got me into writing poetry, which I discovered is something I actually really enjoy doing. It took me a lot of reading and time before I wrote something that I thought was passable (and I'm certainly not going to claim any of the stuff I write/post in-game now is any good!) but I probably would've never personally pushed those boundaries if I hadn't felt compelled to not be a complete failure at the class with which I was sort of stuck at the time.

So I guess I'd say give it a shot. Pushing personal boundaries like that isn't ever really a bad thing. Best case is that you discover something you enjoy or something for which you might have a talent, and worst case... well, you don't really have anything to lose, especially if nobody knows it's you.
    Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • edited January 2014
    When Tahquil was Bard she never sang as she was taught the daemon songs which aren't to pleasant on the ear. Instead she would just pluck away on her lute were technical terms in emotes are more welcome than in the middle of lyrics.

(Also lyres are for pansies @Mathonwy)
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I don't know all that much about music theory/terminology either, and at first that kind of made me nervous when I started  really getting into the bard thing IC. But over time I've come to think that, as with many other aspects of the game, entertainment > realism. It does not mean you are simply going to give up or  completely throw away all realistic elements to the performances and such, but rather that you can allow yourself a certain leeway as you get comfortable with them, because magic,  and because in the end the main goal is to grasp the interest of whoever is reading in one way or the other.

So I agree with @Silas. Just push yourself. Chances are you'll notice yourself getting better over time.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• CaoimhaenCaoimhaen Targossas
    edited January 2014
    Have fun with it! Do your best. And like they said. Push yourself. People are pretty helpful if you just ask for some pointers really. Art itsn't about perfection, it's about passion and expression.:) Just wing it.

• edited January 2014
    YES!

I'm actually a biologist/mathematician/technical science-y writer person.  I can't form complex, articulate sentences to save my life. Yet, here I am on the Bardic Council and heading a path in the Ty Beirdd. 

In real life, I could care less about dance and music terminology and all that stuff. Sometimes, I do try to write a dance or a song ig and it has led me to doing a bunch of research and a lot of writer's block. Still, I have about a performance in every one of the paths, with the help and inspiration of other housemates. But that's why I stick to visual arts and design.  I, at least, can draw (and I like to shop!). And I've been surrounded by those things almost all of my life. It was more of an easy way out sort of deal than a whole THIS IS RP sort of deal.  If I wanted to go pure RP, I'd have been a lyricist. 

A lot of the rest of the council actually do writing related things/have played an instrument or two in real life so they are extremely helpful in pointing out things that are right/wrong in your work if you happen to write something completely weird like you're playing your harp with a bow or something or if a painting is not what you were aiming for. They're all really patient and amazing when it comes to grading/giving criticism/praise.  Most of us don't stray far from the house because we're always there to talk about a new piece with a student, whether it is to brainstorm ideas or just for general help in something. 

And yes, as @Silas pointed out, you are FAR from the only non-creative person in the house.  I think it's a lot more fun to play something that you're not than something that you are. It's why I can NEVER do alchemist or druid or even occultist although I love the classes.  They are too similar, generally-speaking, to who I am in real life.  For this reason, I hypothesize that many people in our house are actually a lot less creative than their characters are supposed to be.  

And besides, as @Caoimhaen said, it's about having fun! Achaea is a game after all. Who cares if you're perfect?  We'd love to have you here! Bug me if you want to talk more. :)
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • I haven't done this in Achaea, but one of my Abyssals in an Exalted game was a songstress and crafter, and I cannot write lyrics to save my life. Lyrics don't really convey in text anyway, in my opinion, without the musical background to give them the right feeling.

So what I did was just described her heart-rending (often literally) dirges and such and let other people's imaginations take over. I don't know if this is accepted practice in Achaea, but if it is and you can't do lyrics yet, you can be flowery with emotes instead that describe your song until you can do lyrics for real.

If it's not the accepted practice, then have fun stumbling with the rest of us while we all learn! :D

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • I believe I was the least creative person in Ty Beirdd ... just never really clicked
  • Sena said:
    Couldn't think of a better topic title. Basically, what I'm wondering about is this: Has anyone else tried to play a character more creative than themselves? How hard is it to "fake" something like that? If I'm terrible with words and couldn't write even a mediocre poem or song if my life depended on it, and would have trouble even writing good descriptions for physical artwork (sculptures, paintings, etc.), how likely is it that I could play an artist or singer?

This is something I've always been curious about, but I've never tried. For my new character though, I've been thinking of trying something entirely outside my comfort zone, and wanted to get some thoughts on it.

On a related note, given the above deficiencies, how hard a time would I have in Ty Beirdd? I know almost nothing about the house, could I get very far without good writing skills?
    Somehow missed this, but yes, playing a character smarter/more creative/etc than oneself is possible. But it is not easy.

"Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Einstein

For creativity, avoid plagiarism like the plague it is, but read until you get ideas and put them together. Crazy enough it tends to work, for me at least. And I'm much more of a logical person than a creative one.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • You should definitely go for it! As Scarlatti above, I have had art, writing, and music in my past, but I still learn a lot. Even a well read and accomplished person can learn a ton from being in a big group. It encourages you to think outside the box and do a bunch of different things! For example, when it comes to poetry, I am absolutely miserable at meter and structured poetry. However, it's something I'm going to try and do, because I want to push myself and learn how to make such things.

At the end of the day, you need to be having fun. If you normally don't enjoy writing and reading, then Bard and Ty Beirdd are not for you. However, if you're willing to put some elbow grease into it, you'll be surprised how much you can learn.