Robes of Agatheis

To keep it brief, an upgrade of Robes of the Magi. Reduces active willpower costs by 1/3, in addition to the mana. Cost: 1600 (or just 600 if you're upgrading from Magi robes).

In prolonged combat, magi, shamans, sylvans, etc. can burn through willpower pretty quick. My first thought was a willpower vibration but that only addresses one class. Anyway, this seems like a reasonable artefact to add. The only effect is that it lets people who want to fight longer fight longer. Less immediate benefit than plain Magi robes if you think about how that helps guard against Apostates/Priests.

Yea or nay?
I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Xith said:
    To keep it brief, an upgrade of Robes of the Magi. Reduces active willpower costs by 1/3, in addition to the mana. Cost: 1600 (or just 600 if you're upgrading from Magi robes).

In prolonged combat, magi, shamans, sylvans, etc. can burn through willpower pretty quick. My first thought was a willpower vibration but that only addresses one class. Anyway, this seems like a reasonable artefact to add. The only effect is that it lets people who want to fight longer fight longer. Less immediate benefit than plain Magi robes if you think about how that helps guard against Apostates/Priests.

Yea or nay?
    I'm tempted to say no (to the upgrade, not the concept) - just because it's not an upgrade, it has a different effect, one that's desirable on its own. I'd recommend a different artefact, perhaps a ring.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Cool idea.

Upgrade for artefacts is always cool too. I like the idea of WP reduction.

• I like the idea a lot.
  • I'm a little worried about this. The immediate effects of this is that it would make defensive willpower attrition play really really strong, something I'm not really fond of encouraging. Some classes are already really good at pressuring willpower and capitalize very effectively on low willpower, such as blademasters or heavy affliction classes. 

Down the road it will be a situation similar to veils where if you don't have one and your opponent does, they can utilize a significant advantage. 

1v1 seems to be at a pretty good place right now, circlet + permanent megalith already provide a good amount of willpower regen. You can also get a sash to increase your maximum willpower. I think cutting willpower costs by a third would eliminate willpower as a resource you need to manage.

i'm a rebel

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Isn't that the point of artefacts? To reduce or eliminate the need to manage certain resources?
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • @Tesha I don't think it would really matter that much. If everyone (without the artefact) used willpower at the same rate, you might have a point. But there are already classes that will run out of both endurance and willpower quickly, and classes that will never run out of either, and classes that are better than others at running an opponent out.

So the scenario you're worried about already exists in a more extreme form, the artefact will only lessen the problem (because it will primarily benefit the classes that can be run out of willpower easily).
  • Hmm. I'm not sure about that. There are a few classes that use willpower for their offenses such as occultist, bard, apostate, and priest, that are all decently matched right now. Normal robes are already pretty strong against apostate/priest, but being able to make your willpower last roughly a third longer as well could get to be too strong. I don't know, maybe I'm thinking about it too much. 

i'm a rebel

• Personally, I like willpower/endurance as a mechanism to prevent doing too much too fast, as it is with say, hunting. I don't like it as a fight-ender.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Are there any classes that are good at draining an opponent's willpower/endurance, and can also run out quickly themselves? The most obvious example (blademaster) doesn't really have a problem with willpower already, but I might be overlooking some class that will be able to drain someone's willpower a lot more easily if they stop having to worry as much about their own.

Otherwise, it seems to me that the artefact can only ever make that sort of fight of attrition less effective (or at least slower), not more effective.
  • Or your/your opponent's class needs tweaks.
  • Tesha said:
    ...circlet + permanent megalith already provide a good amount of willpower regen...
    As a monk bashing with transmute and clot, with a circlet, permanent megalith tattoo and ring of endurance, willpower is drained out far faster than endurance - endurance rarely, if ever, goes into the yellow, willpower gets really low, really fast, especially when hunting somewhere like Siroccan Fortress.
    Hiroma tells you, "I just got to listen to someone complain about your deadly axekick being the bane of their existence."
    Archdragon Mizik Corten, Herald of Ruin says, "Man, that was a big axk."
    Hellrazor Cain de Soulis, Sartan's Hammer says, "Your [sic] a beast."
  • Yeah they could just tone down holocaust, swiftcurse willpower costs, etc. But why not fix it in a way that tempts me to spend 4 months of membership credits or more?
  • I like it. Could we get a couple variations on them if there aren't already though? Robes, Jacket, Surcoat and Tunic of Agatheis would be pretty baller.

• Trey said:
    I like it. Could we get a couple variations on them if there aren't already though? Robes, Jacket, Surcoat and Tunic of Agatheis would be pretty baller.
    Yes, I too agree with the lack of "surcoats" in Achaea.
  • Trey rocks one on occasion but it is definitely the 'not artefact' variety.

• Xith said:

Yea or nay?

Who are you, and what have you done with @Xith?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • edited January 2014
    I like the idea, just need to change the name because:

Collars:

[snip]

Collar of Agatheis: 1600 credits (+20% damage)
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Logosian Bracelets. Logosian Gauntlets. Logosian Ring.

• Trey said:

I like it. Could we get a couple variations on them if there aren't already though? Robes, Jacket, Surcoat and Tunic of Agatheis would be pretty baller.

Unlikely to happen, as much as I'd love it. I've asked about it in the past, as have others, and it doesn't seem to be a priority to create multiple item types of the same artefact for general sale.

The price for having custom work done is also pretty expensive, which is understandable but does mean it's not viable for most people. I paid 700 credits to have the anklet of dashing's power added to my customised dex boots, on top of the 500 I originally paid for the anklet itself.
  • I've never understood the high cost for making an artefact a different wearable or wieldable item. It seems like it'd be easy to copy and paste the code while making an alteration to the type. I'm also not a coder of any sort of proficiency though, so my contempt of the cost of something purely cosmetic could be entirely unfounded. Would love the option of tying multiple artefact effects into one item for like, say, a flat fee of 100-200 credits on top of the costs of all the items you're combining (minus the cost of anything you already own that you're destroying to put on the single item.

• Sylvance said:
    Xith said:

Yea or nay?

Who are you, and what have you done with @Xith?
    Same great Xith, half the calories.
  • First of all, some of you guys seem to be temporarily forgetting why Achaea exists: to make money.

With that said, having been shaman, I agree that having a 10 minute time limited on any pvp situation is really needlessly lame. However, I don't feel bad for monks or magi using pvp skills like transmute and stormhammer to bash, and running out of willpower. It's doing exactly what it's supposed to: prevent (or slightly hinder) your relatively unbalanced bashing rates.
  • edited January 2014
    Transmute is a utility skill, though. Not a pvp skill. Same for about 70% of the entire Kaido skillset. That's like saying weathering is a pvp skill.

Or that staffcast is a pvp skill, if you're going to say stormhammer is.

• @cynlael - literally your entire post is wrong.

• What...
  • @Cylael @Xith using stormhammer/transmute is just like using swiftcurse to bash. (and since I've been all three classes, I feel at least marginally qualified to say so)

You -can- use them, but that doesn't mean that's what they're there for.  The consequence for doing so is burning willpower significantly faster.

And to re-iterate, have you considered the fact that it's probably not a coincidence that two of the fastest/best bashing classes in the game also have some of the fastest willpower/endurance drains?  I propose that it's a form of balance - and it still works in your benefit in the long run, since restoring willpower/endurance takes a matter of minutes.