The third age of Achaean Newbiedom!

Comments

• That sounds like a really fine implementation.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    edited January 2014
    Tecton said:
    While we appreciate you guys jumping on to try it out, try to be mindful of the poor guides! They've got enough to do figuring out the new intro and helping the newbies without having to deal with people being trolls and/or picking terrible names, even if it's a throwaway character.
    But if I use a nice name that uses up the available nice name quota for a while :(

Besides, I always wanted to be called Dinkbarella

edit: I uh... seem to have broken the prompt. Just once. I dunno how. I don't have a numerical prompt configured. Cause I keep looking at the shiny red healthbar haha. Then when I tried look at the helpfiles (nice pop up window btw), that line of code just appeared. After that it went back to normal.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    portals should really stay for those rare occurances a newbie finds a mushroom and gets sent to Bopalopia (I swear I didn't get stuck there as a newb  :| )
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• This might be just me, but I don't think I would have been able to find Beku if I were actually just starting out. Maybe have one of the guides at least say, "take the highway west and go north when you near Lake Vundemere" rather than just dropping you on the highway without directions?
  • Rohai said:
    This might be just me, but I don't think I would have been able to find Beku if I were actually just starting out. Maybe have one of the guides at least say, "take the highway west and go north when you near Lake Vundemere" rather than just dropping you on the highway without directions?
    The task suggests WALK TO MINIA, so no way they'll get lost really. Even if they wander around thinking they can find it on their own, WALK TO MINIA is always there to help them out.
  • KeiKei
    edited January 2014
    Kei used portals twice. At level 5. Then never again.

Edit: This was during Loom Island and pre me using Zmud, so no landmarks or autowalking there.

Personally, I support dropping them, and for the rare occurrences of being lost in Bopalopia you have:

1. Guides, give them the power to rescue off-plane novices.
    2. Mentors and House/City novice aides, maybe give them the ability to hear and be heard by novices over NEWBIE no matter what communication barriers are up.
    3. Maybe even a NOVICEWATCH, sort of like ARENAWATCH, where they can help guide the newbie home, for one or both of the above.

That's just what I would suggest, though, time and resources permitting.

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • Kei said:
    Kei used portals twice. At level 5. Then never again. Edit: This was during Loom Island and pre me using Zmud, so no landmarks or autowalking there. Personally, I support dropping them, and for the rare occurrences of being lost in Bopalopia you have: 1. Guides, give them the power to rescue off-plane novices. 2. Mentors and House/City novice aides, maybe give them the ability to hear and be heard by novices over NEWBIE no matter what communication barriers are up. 3. Maybe even a NOVICEWATCH, sort of like ARENAWATCH, where they can help guide the newbie home, for one or both of the above. That's just what I would suggest, though, time and resources permitting.
    All three of those things are in place.

Guides can bring newbies to them, mentors can hear newbies from any plane and guides can watch the newbies if they deem it necessary! (You don't want everyone being able to watch newbies, that would get... wrong.)
    Achieved dragon on the 13th of Aeguary, 634 - aged 21 and 1 month and 21 days.

Elder dragon on the 6th of Chronos 635 - aged 22 and 8 months and 14 days.
  • Well. Shows how much I know about Guides these days.

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
    edited January 2014
    Here's another one of the wall of text code, this time a little more clearly. It seems this weird ass problem only appears when I attempt to complete a task that requires me to read a helpfile.

Also, I later attempted to configure my prompt but for some reason, I don't have one, not even the neat little - you normally have when you config prompt off. But when I start scrolling up and down the prompt, all my health/mana/etc appears :S It just refuses to be displayed in the current view.

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Yeah, we're looking into the issue with the client showing backend data when you view a helpfile, hopefully have it fixed up shortly! As for your prompt, it is hidden by default in the client - if you click on the little gear icon in the bottom-right corner, you'll find a slew of options, including showing your prompt.
    edited January 2014
    Yeah you may want to include that in the task info. It just tells you to config prompt with no mention that the client itself gags it.

• Great work guys.  If I were still a rich man, I'd buy a bunch of credits in appreciation.

So take the thought, its what matters.
    *Animated Signature*

• edited January 2014
    I can't be an ashtani or hashani bard or jester anymore! D: 

Was this intentional?

Edit: The city based npcs are so cool!! Omg. Rathos called me a worm. :')  And they tattooed me!!  And Cassara is a lichlord!!!!! And Rathos is an Aristrata. This is the best intro ever.

Edit Edit: It feels a lot shorter too which is 82901381093802183974832792 x awesome

Last Edit for this Post: I've always associated Azon and Xanatov with Hashan/Ashtan though. Esp Azon. And not Cyrene.  Etienne/Alexandrian/Ashaela seem more cyrenian based
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • Kei said:
    Kei used portals twice. At level 5. Then never again. Edit: This was during Loom Island and pre me using Zmud, so no landmarks or autowalking there. Personally, I support dropping them, and for the rare occurrences of being lost in Bopalopia you have: 1. Guides, give them the power to rescue off-plane novices. 2. Mentors and House/City novice aides, maybe give them the ability to hear and be heard by novices over NEWBIE no matter what communication barriers are up. 3. Maybe even a NOVICEWATCH, sort of like ARENAWATCH, where they can help guide the newbie home, for one or both of the above. That's just what I would suggest, though, time and resources permitting.
    I say trial by Minia! Give them a portal exit to there and force them to find a way out!
  • edited January 2014
    Averi said:
    I can't be an ashtani or hashani bard or jester anymore! D: 

Was this intentional?
    It goes by what the houses in that city accept. Ashtan and Hashan don't have any houses that accept bards for example, so those cities aren't listed as options when starting out as a bard.
    Nemutaur said:
    Rohai said:
    This might be just me, but I don't think I would have been able to find Beku if I were actually just starting out. Maybe have one of the guides at least say, "take the highway west and go north when you near Lake Vundemere" rather than just dropping you on the highway without directions?
    The task suggests WALK TO MINIA, so no way they'll get lost really. Even if they wander around thinking they can find it on their own, WALK TO MINIA is always there to help them out.
    And once you get to Minia there's even WALK TO PYGMIES (which you're told to use), so you're taken right to the entrance to Miba and don't have far to go to find Beku. And then in the task that tells you about the newbie channel, the example (and clickable so you can ask it without typing it) message is asking for help finding Beku. I think real newbies are given plenty of help with that part.
  • From a UI perspective when using the HTML5 client for the intro, the line-wrap is all messed up on SKILLS, WARES, etc. Also you get a bunch of popup windows to explain things, which are really helpful, but when you close them you lost focus and start typing commands into nothingness for a bit until you reselect the command field. (Plus the code output after certain help scrolls which was already mentioned). 

Only other thing I could suggest is that many of the skills scrolls don't specify that most of the attack skills can't be used against denizens. I forgot all about this, but remembered when going through the intro that when I was new I was saving up lessons to get certain attacks and skills and was then dumbfounded that they "didn't work."

Overall though, I think it's awesome! By the time you get through the initial questing up to level 10 you're familiar with your class bashing skill, can navigate around, understand lankmarks, tattoos, basic interaction, and are grooved into the task system which you can follow along for a while learning about all sorts of things - and all on a great gradient. You even feel like the "adventurers" that get you started are friends. This is unquestionably the best intro system so far or anywhere. Major kudos to all involved in putting it together.
    The Truths hurt. Always.
  • @Skye you have far too many unread emails.

• I have to say that I really enjoyed this intro. It is, by far, the best I've encountered. Aside from a few small bugs, I had a good time. It was a bit lengthy, but that was mostly due to bugs. Very well done.

• Welp that just goes to show how completely oblivious I am, haha. Didn't even notice the landmark suggestion.
  • Something I noticed a few minutes ago.  In the introduction, you can't join Eleusis as a Runewarden.  I'm not sure if this is a bug or not?
    By the way, will you be adding more artwork to the intro? Like for classes and cities.

• Oh wait. There are tasks for the cultists? Those never showed up for me. Maybe that's because I have three unfinished Minia/Lodi tasks?
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • Kuy said:
    Oh wait. There are tasks for the cultists? Those never showed up for me. Maybe that's because I have three unfinished Minia/Lodi tasks?
    Did you go back to Beku after Level10?  I found you could skip some tasks as long as you kept up with the pygmy ones, but then the city mobs give you another set of tasks afterwards that you must complete to move on with the Cultists.
  • Tecton said:
    In the near future, we will implement a new "city novicehood" training system that will continue teaching new players about Achaea in a free-form TASKS-based system and bridge the gap between the intro and joining a House. For now, though, when new players finish the intro they are given more tasks and are urged to join a House.
    Do you have an ETA for the "city novicehood" training system?  The new introduction was added to the game literally the day after I first began playing, and now I feel like I should re-roll.  I don't want the same thing to happen again, i.e. I finish the new introduction and proceed on my merry way, and then the very next day the new "city novicehood" training system is introduced.  So, I might just wait to re-roll until the newest system is introduced, unless it won't happen for a very long time.