The third age of Achaean Newbiedom!

TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
edited January 2014 in North of Thera
First was Loom Island... then came the Trial of Rebirth... and now begins the third age of Achaean newbiedom! We're excited to release a brand-new, two-part introduction to Achaea for our new players: Escape from Miba & the Cultist's Conspiracy!

For those of you familiar with the previous intros, the new one works a little differently.

Character creation consists of choosing a race, then a class, then a city (choices are limited to those who accept the player's class). The main difference here is that players do not have the option to select a house at this point! That comes after both parts of the intro are completed.

Upon creating a character, players undertake the first part of our new storyline, "Escape from Miba." There, they are isolated from one another and learn the most basic commands like getting around and attacking things. This functions exactly like the current intro, but is much, MUCH shorter.

The second part of the storyline, "The Cultist's Conspiracy," puts the player, who is now level 5, directly into the "real" game. They continue learning the basics of Achaea while investigating a plot that leads them to various newbie areas and their home city (if they belong to one), before culminating at Great Rock. They are guided through this part by the new TASKS system, which replaces the old orientation tasks.

When newbies are finished with the intro, they will have reached level 10 and should have clothes, a health vial, and either some basic weapons or a mana vial, depending on their class. In the near future, we will implement a new "city novicehood" training system that will continue teaching new players about Achaea in a free-form TASKS-based system and bridge the gap between the intro and joining a House. For now, though, when new players finish the intro they are given more tasks and are urged to join a House.

We invite you to try out our new introduction (for the full experience, try it via our HTML5 client (http://client.achaea.com))! And if you are so inclined, we welcome your feedback below.

Comments

• Maybe it's just because I'm an old-timer, but seeing a Sa'Rithven and a Lighthawk appear when I tried out a Targossan Priest newbie was very, very cool. Especially after going, "Oh crap. Stupid pygmies are teaming a newb! How the hell am I dying in a newbie tour?!"

I am thoroughly impressed so far. Thumbs up.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• Are we getting houses in Targossas?

Is it happening?

• Santar said:
    Are we getting houses in Targossas?

Is it happening?
    No.
  • Agreed. Trying out a new Mhaldorian character and I'm surprised how well it's made. Awesome job!
  • Darnit, I missed this by like two weeks! It sounds so cool.
  • OMG this thing is awesome.
  • Weird. I was literally brainstorming Trial ideas while I was in the shower this morning. I often think of Achaea in the shower ;O
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • KeiKei
    edited January 2014
    Want to disagree because I miss Loom Island and the scary goblin sticking you in Azdun, but this is pretty cool.

Especially cool that it seems to include some of the old names I remember. Damn, if I hadn't taken that ten year vacation....maybe in Intro the Fourth: The Revenge of Loom Island. :P

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • Perhaps after the introduction is completed, you could mention the use of portals again for those that have never played Achaea before?
  • Also fix the Task 12 bug.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Daeir said:
    I'm actually not convinced that PORTALS have ever been something helpful for the game. They (at first) trivialise the necessity of needing to know your way around and provide no incentive for new players to actually attempt to gather their bearings and learn how to navigate properly. Portals could go away quite easily and be readily replaced by the Landmark system with no issue, in my eyes.
    That is a good point.  After reading your post, I agree with you.  Portals is something that could go away.

Xith said:
    Also fix the Task 12 bug.
    I played a new character and got a Task 41 bug.  Also, the task system itself is bugged at this current time as only one task is listed when it talks about several other tasks.
  • Sena said:
    The landmark system is perfectly fine for normal navigation on the main continent. But landmarks won't help when you're actually trapped/stuck somewhere, or if you end up on another plane and don't know the way back, or other situations where you're out of range of any landmarks. I think portals are still necessary for those times.

Plus, a complete newbie often won't have any idea of which landmarks to travel to. If you're out of range of your home city and the newbie areas, you're pretty much just left with picking a random place that may not even be safe for you.
    That is also a good point.  I see how both statements would benefit novices.
  • Cooper said:
    If you are completely new to both Achaea and text games, having portals is a god send. If you have experience with text games (especially other IRE games) it isn't quite as bad, but still helpful.
    I see what you did there!

• Tasks should be working properly now.
  • Neat! I haven't tried out the intro yet, but I have a task question from a novice aide perspective. TASKS doesn't seem to show House Tasks anymore, only the new general ones. Is that going to change or do we need to instruct novices to use HOUSE TASKS now? Also, TASKSHOW does not seem to be a valid house priv anymore. :(
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Aelyn said:
    Neat! I haven't tried out the intro yet, but I have a task question from a novice aide perspective. TASKS doesn't seem to show House Tasks anymore, only the new general ones. Is that going to change or do we need to instruct novices to use HOUSE TASKS now? Also, TASKSHOW does not seem to be a valid house priv anymore. :(
    These are temporarily disabled - they'll be back when the city novicehood program comes out.
  • edited January 2014
    Tecton said:
    Aelyn said:
    Neat! I haven't tried out the intro yet, but I have a task question from a novice aide perspective. TASKS doesn't seem to show House Tasks anymore, only the new general ones. Is that going to change or do we need to instruct novices to use HOUSE TASKS now? Also, TASKSHOW does not seem to be a valid house priv anymore. :(
    These are temporarily disabled - they'll be back when the city novicehood program comes out.
    Okay, thanks! Last question - for novices that are cityless, will there be some kind of generic version or they will just be sans extra novicehood program?
    Nope, no plans for a generic one for rogues. They'll have full access to all of the training tasks, but that's the end of the support that they get until they join a city/house, same as it is now.
  • Fantastic, just gone through the new intro and this is much much better than the old one.  More fluid and explanatory for new players imo, 2 thumbs up.
    While we appreciate you guys jumping on to try it out, try to be mindful of the poor guides! They've got enough to do figuring out the new intro and helping the newbies without having to deal with people being trolls and/or picking terrible names, even if it's a throwaway character.
  • So I was able to pick Mhaldorian Druid for Fairykiller - shouldn't this be forbidden?
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Damnit @Tecton, I wanted Flowerdor.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• When I came as an actual new player... the portals made me want to rip my hair out.
    It was so hard to actually learn my way around when there was this fake crossroads with fake entries everywhere.
    It -really- got me discombobulated and I loathed the portals. And I really didn't like that the help I got was always "Use your portal and start over".

• Ruth said:
    Damnit @Tecton, I wanted Flowerdor.
    I'm partial to Cuddledor.