Languages idea!

Basically, a shop of wonders item that lets you teach your racial language. When you buy the thing, it lets you teach whatever racial language you have when you buy it (learned languages dun count). Probably, because Achaea needs gold sinks, people learning from you still need to have money out, and the cost would be right in scale with what a person would pay for said lesson from a denizen tutor (I'm sure clever people can come up with some satisfying flavor reason for this). Time to learn languages would be the same. In fact, everything's the same, except when you learn a language, there's at least one person, guaranteed, you'll probably want to speak with in that language!

Would be nifty to encourage more use of racial languages.

Price'd probably be between five and seven crowns, probably.

Comments

• Anedhel said:
    Probably, because Achaea needs gold sinks, people learning from you still need to have money out, and the cost would be right in scale with what a person would pay for said lesson from a denizen tutor (I'm sure clever people can come up with some satisfying flavor reason for this)
    The one and only reason I'm against this is because even with this, its still not an actual gold sink. The gold would just transfer to a different player. A gold sink removes that money -entirely- from the economy. I suppose you could still just make it vanish, and just slap on the usual "its magic!" explanation for where the gold goes, but that seems pretty stupid to me.

• Right now it's costing me 81k a lesson for languages. I think that's way to much money to pay another player for 10 seconds of nothing. Currently the only real hard language teacher to get to is the Sireni teacher on Meropis. And I think it's already convenient enough to find them.
  • Tahquil said:
    Right now it's costing me 81k a lesson for languages. I think that's way to much money to pay another player for 10 seconds of nothing. Currently the only real hard language teacher to get to is the Sireni teacher on Meropis. And I think it's already convenient enough to find them.
    I think you'll find the Vertani language teacher much harder to find...
    Hiroma tells you, "I just got to listen to someone complain about your deadly axekick being the bane of their existence."
    Archdragon Mizik Corten, Herald of Ruin says, "Man, that was a big axk."
    Hellrazor Cain de Soulis, Sartan's Hammer says, "Your [sic] a beast."
  • This token wouldn't allow people to learn Vertani since no one is Vertani. Not even the language tokens from the auctions will let people learn Vertani. Vertani language is reserved only for people who took part in the event.
  • Nobody has Vertani as a racial language though, so it doesn't matter for this suggestion.
  • Sena said:
    Nobody has Vertani as a racial language though, so it doesn't matter for this suggestion.
    It was more a comment that the Sireni teacher is the hardest to get to whereas the no-longer-existing Vertani teacher is actually more difficult, not that the token should allow teaching of Vertani...
    Hiroma tells you, "I just got to listen to someone complain about your deadly axekick being the bane of their existence."
  • edited January 2014
    .... Okay. Very helpful to the discussion, thank you.
  • Either way, the OP serves no real purpose as the Sireni teacher on Meropis is the hardest to get to and even that's not really a challenge, even just walking through the wilderness.
  • edited January 2014
    For the record- I meant the money disappears entirely, not that the person holding the item gets it!

ETA: Currently, languages are way underused and not really an attraction of any kind; getting people involved in taking advantage of them more seems a better outcome than the status quo, is all!
  • No. It's not difficult to learn languages right now - making it more convenient would detract from the roleplay of seeking out established racial settlements and learning their language from them.

• Fair nuff! :D
  • Anedhel said:
    ETA: Currently, languages are way underused and not really an attraction of any kind; getting people involved in taking advantage of them more seems a better outcome than the status quo, is all!
    I'll agree with that, but the minor inconvenience of having to travel isn't what's preventing people from using languages. The rapidly increasing cost of language lessons is a major factor, though one that is necessary to stop people from just learning them all. There's also really not much actual benefit from using a racial, or other, language most of the time, especially now that it's a lot more difficult to know who can and can't hear you.
  • Agreed. The issue with languages is not a difficulty in learning, but the lack of application.
  • I just wish that there were a way for people who learned Vertani partway to learn it all. (HINT-ITTY FUCKING HINT HINT :( )

• Trey said:
    I just wish that there were a way for people who learned Vertani partway to learn it all. (HINT-ITTY FUCKING HINT HINT :( )
    Omg what a derail. Get your own thread for that, maaan.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Trey said:
    I just wish that there were a way for people who learned Vertani partway to learn it all. (HINT-ITTY FUCKING HINT HINT :( )