Playing an alt as a descendant of your main?

Just wondering on what peoples opinion is on this.

Something that could give some background to your alt, or is it unworkable because actually bloodlining your alt would violate help multiplaying?

Comments

• no, just no

• Cooper said:
    no, just no

• I was kinda hoping for like...some reasoning.

No is an answer and all that, but it's not really an opinion. Like -why- is it bad/good/stupidest thing you've ever heard/etc?
  • Dji said:
    because actually bloodlining your alt would violate help multiplaying
  • It lends itself to a stupid circle jerk where the alt just tries to coast on the name of the main, among other things.  And it leads to obvious alting where people play favorites because "Oh, that's so and so's character, time to toss them all of the CFs and bump them right up the rest of these plebs!"

In short, it's stupid.
  • It lends itself to a stupid circle jerk where the alt just tries to coast on the name of the main, among other things.  And it leads to obvious alting where people play favorites because "Oh, that's so and so's character, time to toss them all of the CFs and bump them right up the rest of these plebs!"

In short, it's stupid.
    Yeah, you're right. Hadn't thought of it that way, but that's probably exactly what would happen.
  • To elaborate, there's nothing inherently wrong with the concept of a single person roleplaying multiple members of the same family. In certain types of roleplaying environments, it might be preferable to give one person full creative control over a family, for example.

However, in roleplaying, creative control is ultimately derived from trust. Gods have more control in Achaea because they're trusted more - there's a process that allows them to prove their trustworthiness. Since Achaea is free to access and play (short of getting banned), and since it has competitive elements, there's a lot less trust handed to the typical player, and simply not enough trust is given to afford something like this. As @Nellaundra states, the decision to withhold trust, in this case, may be a wise one - although I'm sure there are many players who'd handle it responsibly, there are many who wouldn't.

And it might not even be the fault of the person doing the multiplaying. There's a certain degree of trust that'd have to be placed in the community at large to separate the two characters from each other and from their player (a complex situation, given that the two characters are not completely separate but bound by blood!), not even counting the trust of the player themself.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I think the problem people are seeing here is being an immediate descendant of your elderly character. I don't really see a problem with having your great, great grandchildren bloodline your alt as long as you don't go around acting like your main is the king of the world or putting an undue amount of attention on the fact.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • edited January 2014
    I don't see a problem if done right.

However, that's a tricky line to draw. A lot of stuff (I'd be tempted to say most of it) that's not allowed wouldn't be a problem if done right.

The real question unfortunately devolves to: how badly would this be misused and abused?
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • From HELP SECONDS:

WHAT IF I want to be my own parent/sibling/spouse?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Roleplaying a relationship with your own alternate character is at best
    ill-advised and at worst a shrubbing offence. Bloodlining or marrying your own
    alt is very clearly a violation of our policies, both on second characters and
    multiplaying (HELP MULTIPLAYING). Having a non-bloodlined parental or
    spousal/romantic relationship with your alt is also a violation, as it is
    interaction between your characters and provides some benefit, even if
    intangible, to one or both of your characters. Having two or more of your
    characters bloodlined by the same (not you) parents is permissible, so long as
    no other policies are broken, but not recommended for the same reason that
    having alternates in the same organisations is not recommended: you have much
    more potential to break the rules.

It's possible, but I think it is frowned upon due to cross-character information sharing accidentally as well as potentially benifitting you character in various ways. It's doable, but all your movements will be under a much harsher microscope. You could never give your alt presents or the like, or.. talk about them (I think) and if you found out about something of another family member.... you can't know the same stuff on the alt,
  • The only way that I could see this being pulled off is if your main was like your great-great-great-great-grandparent who never-ever-ever-ever plays and has not for some time, and you RP into the family and use absolutely no information you know about the main.

The biggest reason being you would know absolutely nothing about your main because you would have never met them, so everything you would ever know would have to be IC and I think that would be pretty much impossible.

As for the people will just coast on the last name and favor the person, hell that happens enough now, just join a different powerful family and you get the same effect, difference is you can do this with out the insanity.

• In addition to all the things suggested, it's less fun rping with yourself than with other people.  

Who you choose as a family can help you get established/create a more realistic background to your character that you've never thought about.
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • I think Riley is the nephew of another of my characters, or something like that...