Achaea - an Animated Introduction

Comments

• Honestly, the armor choice was more of a "What can the animators do quickly and cheaply?" decision. 
  • Where the frak are the Dwarves? No love for my kith and kin?!
  • It's not bad! I think it does a pretty good job of selling Achaea in a sort of layman's terms to people who might otherwise be on the fence when it comes to playing the game, and the animation was all pretty on-point.

I do have a bit of what I hope is constructive criticism, though, pertaining to the audio. The levels are mostly fine, but they seem a bit high, specifically at the beginning and from about 1:11ish on. The script is pretty well written; I dunno if you hired a VO guy or if you just had someone on staff do it, but I'd deepen the voice a bit (if getting someone to do the VO isn't an option, the infinitely cheaper/less hassling way would be to toy around with the recording in Audition or whatever program you use). Also, when you work with sound files and things, make sure they're not heavily compressed like I'm pretty sure those were because you get really annoying and distracting compression artifacts that, in this case, make it sound like you're listening to the audio underwater.
    Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    @Mathonwy - I'm 99% sure that is Sarapis on the video
  • ....living gods....made me sad :<
  • I had NO idea what was going on but I was EXCITED.
  • "if you can walk the walk, you can talk the talk"

So cheesy I want to put it in my sandwich. Other than that, it's pretty good

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • I like it, but the voice could be better.
    Light prevails, always
  • Achilles said:
    @Mathonwy - I'm 99% sure that is Sarapis on the video
    Nope.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Good thing I left myself that 1% then :P
  • Animated @Aurora is cute. Also, she can have pretty armour because she also has Divinefire and doesn't have to worry about functionality.
  • edited January 2014
    Yes, mini Rory is the best thing in ever.

ETA: Mini Babel was pretty badass :O
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    omg it's a DJI.

:x  :x :x

• Daklore said:
    Needs more vivisex
    ftfy
  • Dji said:
    I don't want to be a negative nancy...but did anyone else find watching this made Achaea seem a bit...immature and cheesy? One of the reasons I played Achaea so much in the past, and probably so much in the future is that it's very mature and complex in comparison to other games that are available. I guess I just found myself cringing a lot watching this, which is an effect the current video doesn't have on me.
    It's easy to measure objectively which one is better, which we're in the process of doing. 
  • Sarapis said:
    Dji said:
    I don't want to be a negative nancy...but did anyone else find watching this made Achaea seem a bit...immature and cheesy? One of the reasons I played Achaea so much in the past, and probably so much in the future is that it's very mature and complex in comparison to other games that are available. I guess I just found myself cringing a lot watching this, which is an effect the current video doesn't have on me.
    It's easy to measure objectively which one is better, which we're in the process of doing. 
    Two separate landing pages, one with the old, one with the new, see which one generates the most click through?
  • Yeah, though it's more than just clickthroughs. Ultimately the real question is, "Do people who clicked through via this one spend more money than people who clicked through via that one?" That's a tough one to answer though because the player lifetimes of our paying players tends to be very long, making it hard to get at this answer directly. So, we look at click-throughs and then a bunch of similar stats. How many make it through character creation? How many make it through 10 seconds after creation? 1 minute? 10 minutes? an hour? 5 hours? etc.
  • That's very cool.

I think it would also be cool if the graphics for the video were released to players to use in their UI customizations!
  • I did like the video, it was well done and I think would fit the target audience.

To back that statement up, when I was looking for a mud to play how many ever years ago I found Achaea (I forget how too..) I would have gave it a go based on the effort alone. I think things like this make it stand out in the mud community, and have the potential to reach out into adjacent markets.

well done!
  • How do I do Kai-Fireball like the movies?

The video is good though :)

• Draqoom said:
    How do I do Kai-Fireball like the movies?

The video is good though :)
    You only get that one if you learn Kai from Master Roshi.
  • AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    Interesting video. Not exactly what I would use for a movie though and on that note, always wondered what would happen if they made a movie of one of the large events.