Braizering and room of effect

I've noticed that, while fighting in certain areas (particularly North of New Thera) the enemy can tumble out of the room, and you can't brazier him due to being in a different area, even though he is one room away. Perhaps we can change the brazier to area AND adjacent rooms? 

Comments

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    could also change brazier to ditch the area-thing, and only work within a certain room radius.
    makes more sense than "I can summon the guy that's all the way on the other side of this city! But I cannot summon the dude that's just through that tunnel." (cyrene as example)
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• I like the area thing, it's good during raids, etc.

• There are really only two things that area-wide brazier is good for now. Strip cloak/brazier into your defense group/raid/totem, or pinch cloak/same thing. Only used as a fairly lame way of killing someone.

1v1 if someone gets 3+ rooms away from you then you weren't prepared to brazier on tumble and that's your fault.

• I'm gonna go with yes. I had someone fighting me at the great rock gate and would just tumble out to avoid brazier.

I know that several area-only puppetry skills already work 1 room away and I had thought brazier did too.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Let's not over-simplify these abilities. 

They're in a good place right now - The area hopping allows for some counterplay and tactics, just as the person on the offensive can take that into consideration.

I like the current state.

• Iocun said:
    Yeah, there's nothing wrong with area-wide braziering...

On the other hand again: if we changed the behaviour of brazier because of this, wouldn't we consequently also have to change all other kinds of area restrictions? Brazier certainly isn't the only ability that can be severely hindered by area borders, after all.
    Like meteor arrows, kai choke, etc? The precedent is already set
    Hiroma tells you, "I just got to listen to someone complain about your deadly axekick being the bane of their existence."
    Archdragon Mizik Corten, Herald of Ruin says, "Man, that was a big axk."
    Hellrazor Cain de Soulis, Sartan's Hammer says, "Your [sic] a beast."
  • Santar said:
    Let's not over-simplify these abilities. 

They're in a good place right now - The area hopping allows for some counterplay and tactics, just as the person on the offensive can take that into consideration.

I don't think area-hopping is really a 'tactic'. I mean it IS, but...

it sucks. 

• There -are- ways to beat someone at North of New Thera as Magi, even with tumble into adjacent area changes, but it is obviously more difficult due to brazier restrictions.

That doesn't necessarily mean we need this sort of brazier change. But, of course, I wouldn't mind a buff. :D

• Just play defensive enough to make them think they're on top, move them away from NoT (fake OMGFLEE), then go for the retardation kill.
    Achieved dragon on the 13th of Aeguary, 634 - aged 21 and 1 month and 21 days.

Elder dragon on the 6th of Chronos 635 - aged 22 and 8 months and 14 days.
  • Xli said:
    Iocun said:
    Yeah, there's nothing wrong with area-wide braziering...

On the other hand again: if we changed the behaviour of brazier because of this, wouldn't we consequently also have to change all other kinds of area restrictions? Brazier certainly isn't the only ability that can be severely hindered by area borders, after all.
    Like meteor arrows, kai choke, etc? The precedent is already set
    I know there's precedent. Things like meteors and kai choke are slightly different though, since their new "nearby-usability" was not really a result of them previously being too weak in their area-wide function, but as part of balancing a general nerf from their previous area-wide state.

Regardless of that, there being a precedent doesn't change the fact that it's something that will probably have to go through a classlead process.
  • Santar said:
    Let's not over-simplify these abilities. 

I don't think area-hopping is really a 'tactic'. I mean it IS, but...

it sucks. 
    Being area-wide is part of the design of brazier, so making use of this limitation is certainly nothing like abusing a bug or loophole. I thus don't see how it is any less of a legitimate tactic than using a shield tattoo to stop an arrow, holding your breath to stop a kai choke, or going indoors to stop a star tarot.

We can definitely discuss whether area-hopping is OP and if it needs to be nerfed, but it definitely is a tactic right now.
  • Didn't say it was a loophole. It just sucks when it happens.

• Sure! Something sucking doesn't stop it from being a tactic though!
  • I don't see a problem with brazier being workable 1 room away, but I also don't see any problem with how it is now.

If your opponent is using an area boundary against you, move off the area boundary. Pretty simple solution.

(There are also better methods of fighting as magi than braziering repeatedly, since that potentially allows them to cure up a lot anyway)

• Area boundaries being a counter to retardation is a good thing. Duel on the Rock instead of at NoT.

• edited January 2014
    Iocun said:
    Yeah, there's nothing wrong with area-wide braziering.

Area borders, on the other hand, seem much more artificial, since it's not really comprehensible why an area (a very vague concept IRL) would have such a clear border in any kind of realistic world.

The explanation is the same as that for how brazier (and most of our abilities) works to begin with: Magic! There's nothing realistic about magic, so no point in looking for realism there.

Also, as you pointed out, it helps makes knowledge of geography relevant, and that's a good thing.
  • When abilities were first coded they weren't able to do room radius,that is relatively new.

• Cooper said:
    When abilities were first coded they weren't able to do room radius,that is relatively new.
    Shrines... hmm. That's the first I can think of.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • edited January 2014
    Cooper said:

When abilities were first coded they weren't able to do room radius,that is relatively new.

Breadth-first search hadn't been invented yet?
    :P

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• Its not something that wasn't doable previously. Its a very trivial algorithm to implement, there was just no need pre ranged adjustments.
  • edited January 2014
    Of course it had been, but when I first built Achaea, the interpreted language I was working with was a total piece of shit and doing so was too slow for the server it had to run on (an old risc-basd Acorn machine).

(Though that's really got nothing to do with the decision. I like area borders. They create meaningful terrain.)
  • Braziers without Borders!!