Kuy's Price

The gates of Mhaldor.
A noxious, red-hued fog overwhelms the area with a thick, palpable vapour. Carved into the 
mountainside, a massive gatehouse stands a short distance to the east, replete with archer slits and 
murder holes. The iron of a portcullis is visible in the top of the gatehouse, ready to bury itself 
in the ground below. A thick wooden drawbridge crosses a wide moat, permitting entrance to the 
mountain city. Long black chains arc upward towards the mountain from either side of the drawbridge, 
disappearing through roughly cut gaps in the mountain's surface. A guardhouse has been shaped from 
the mountain to the right of the gates, its entryway dark and foreboding. Wooden boards with iron 
spikes driven through them and embedded in the rock beyond cover the building's lone window. The 
flags of Mhaldor hang from the top of the gatehouse, prominently displayed for all to see. Some 
graffiti has been scrawled here. It reads, "Know ye that there is no truth greater than Evil." There 
are 5 knights of the Maldaathi here. A runic totem is planted solidly in the ground. An enormous 
slab of volcanic obsidian towers over this area, the regulations of Mhaldor etched upon its face. An 
occupied iron gibbet, suspended from a wooden gallows, creaks ominously in the breeze. A ladder of 
long, soft leaves comprises a wispy Weaver's Fern along the ground. An enormous slab of volcanic 
obsidian towers over this area, the laws of Mhaldor etched upon its face. An obsidian eye sigil is 
here. The broken fragments of a basalt altar litter the ground around the massive form of a 
bloodsteel stalagmite. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. 
Stretching its wings in an impressive display is an ebony pegasus, its dark coat absorbing the 
surrounding light.  A huge statue of the Scimitar of Yen-Sorte stands here, thrusting skywards. 
Devoto Caoimhaen, Disciple of Ryzack is here. His face is partially concealed beneath a raised hood. 
Kuy is here. His face is partially concealed beneath a raised hood. He wields an ornate steel rapier 
in each hand. Apothecary Zii Amseli, Sartai Delegate is riding on an ebony pegasus. His face is 
partially concealed beneath a raised hood. He wields a cavalry shield in his left hand.

Zii says to Kuy in an arid voice, "So, you've asked to Suffering purely, without deception."

Zii asks Kuy in an arid voice, "Do you desire Strength?"

Marax's fingers begin to twitch uncontrollably, blackened energy crackles off his 
crimson nails.

Kuy lies motionless beneath Zii. His body is limp, yet not without control.

You say to Kuy in Mhaldorian in a cracked and grating voice, "There is only one answer you should 
give."

With no movement, no breath, no semblance of life, Kuy speaks one soft word: "Yes."

Zii says to Caoimhaen in an arid voice, "String him up."

Marax's demeanor darkens, the energy darkling around his fingers begins to creep 
ever higher up his arms. His veins run black.

Zii tells you, "If you're able, prepare a strong curse that will wrack his mind with constant 
visions of hell and genocide."

Caoimhaen throws the chain over the lamp post, then hooks Kuy's flesh before pulling him into the 
air.

You tell Apothecary Zii Amseli, Sartai Delegate in Mhaldorian, "Of course, Exsusiai."

The readied end of a hooked length of chain rends into Caoimhaen's skin, flaying off a strip of 
flesh that it holds taut, revealing the glistening muscles normally hidden beneath.

Caoimhaen winces in pain.

Kuy remains still, his body devoid of perceptible emotion.

Nizaris says to Izanami in Mhaldorian in a pained voice, "It appears that you will first be given a 
taste of ritualism, instead."

Zii says to Nizaris in Mhaldorian in an arid voice, "We have Kuy strung up off a lamp post, and 
we're about to give him a thrashing."

Comprehension flashes across Nizaris's face.

Nizaris says in Mhaldorian in a pained voice, "Wonderful!"

Malefic Izanami says, "I am excited, Prophet!"

Malefic Izanami says to Nizaris, "Will I be participating or watching?"

Zii gives a gleaming scimitar to Izanami.

Nizaris says to Izanami in Mhaldorian in a pained voice, "Please enjoy, child."

Zii says to Izanami in Mhaldorian in an arid voice, "Find an artery and let it flow!"

Disregarding the diversions around him, Marax kneels quickly and removes a small 
dagger from his pack. He bows his head and begins to murmur guttural incantations between drawing 
minute runes on the backs of each palm with the incredibly fine point of the dagger with his 
opposing hand.

Nizaris says in Mhaldorian in a pained voice, "We so rarely have such opportunities to maim a 
willing subject."

With a slight grimace, Marax tilts his head to each side with a resultant, 
satisfying crack.

Izanami thrashes about wildly in front of Kuy.

Malefic Izanami says, "No, that's not right."

Kuy sways gently upon the chain, his head hanging, face blank beneath his hood.

Zii says to Kuy in an arid voice, "Your crimes against Evil will be pardoned by your blood, your 
pain, and your despair."

(<clan>): Kuy says, "Gurl, I could talk myself outta Alkatraz."

Comments

• MaraxMarax The Scriptorium
    Nizaris snorts arrogantly.

Zii says to Kuy in an arid voice, "Your salvation shall be found in the same."

There is a sudden crack in the atmosphere around you and Marax muffles a painful 
    cry as his body is wrenched and his joints are strained. In another second it is over and he has 
    returned to a seemingly normal position on the ground.

Kuy remains silent, his eyes lifeless and breath shallow.

Zii says in Mhaldorian in an arid voice, "If you have some words of inspiration for our newest 
    convert, this is your opportunity."

Marax's eyes, glazed over in a color that reflects a very void of light and space, 
    turn on Kuy's hanging body as he stands. He laughs darkly and taps his nails together in a slow 
    cadence.

"Ha!" Zii exclaims to you with gusto.

You say to Zii in Mhaldorian in a cracked and grating voice, "It is ready, Exsusiai."

Zii says to you in Mhaldorian in an arid voice, "The stage is yours, Droch."

Tapping his jagged nails together, Marax issues a subdued, nasal half-laugh.

Nizaris says to Kuy in a pained voice, "Know that in failure exists the only opportunity to learn, 
    and to grow. Your past failures as a Shallamese, and following, a Targossian, have brought you to 
    Mhaldor this day in search of growth. This is good, and this is Holy. Suffer well, Seeker."

Marax slowly walks towards Kuy, his arms occasionally thrashing out for a moment or 
    a single finger bending back with a loud pop to touch the back of his hand.

You say to Kuy in Mhaldorian in a cracked and grating voice, "I have heard of your transgressions, 
    heathen."

Zii tells you in Mhaldorian, "Speak common."

You say to Kuy in a cracked and grating voice, "As you do not know the correct languages apparently..."

You slap Kuy on the cheek.

You say in a cracked and grating voice, "I will speak in the heathen tongue."

You curl your lip and sneer arrogantly.

Izanami curls her lip and sneers arrogantly.

• From someone genuinely curious on the opposite end of the RP spectrum, are these things considered "normal" Mhaldorian behaviour/culture?

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Sure as hell hope so.

That was super fun, though I felt super out of place!
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • edited January 2014
    @Exelethril
    It always depends. Suffering and Oppression and all that are usually created by the understanding of the player that they are being inflicted upon. I personally would never use things such as "genocide". Imho, genocide doesn't lean much towards strength as you kind of just eradicated a whole race, but yaknow. It's up to each person.

I typically try to take a more "Sith" like mentality to the whole thing, and prefer personal mental suffering over acts of heavy oppression.

@Zii is a bit more evil priestly when it comes to those things, so it's always rather grandiose and a very dogmatic display. Many people will likely say Aepas is a bit too cordial or "kind" at times, but he always holds to his motives and would rather crack a person with words instead of actions. Neither of these are wrong.

Sooo, I guess in the end, yes. This is pretty normal. We'd all probly watch it without raising an eye, but we'd all just as well do it differently. There is no real way to standardize the process of evil indoctrination. The important part is to do something that fits into "Evil" without being a complete turn off to the person you are trying to induct. It's like trying something new in bed for the first time.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
    @Kuy we'll get you right in the head soon.

@Aepas Come on, I force lightning'd him. (And Marax isn't one for genocide necessarily, but Zii told him to and it makes sense if you're trying to inflict images of Suffering and Oppression [genocide is pretty much the end result of a combination of those two])
    Sadism & Masochism

nomnomnom
  • Ruth said:
    1. Ritualism
    2. Sadism & Masochism
    Damnit, stop tempting me!  8->

Good log, though. Even though I kind of felt Kuy laid it on a little thick there -- but talking to him I think I just missed that there was stuff before it that wore him out. So that's okay after all. So...yeah, thanks for sharing, I just feel compelled to comment pointlessly.

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • edited January 2014
    @Zii, @Nocroth, @Nizaris and @Alynna are absolutely horrifying and amazing with their Mhaldorian RP. I highly highly suggest poking them whenever they are around for very deep, intense RP
  • Aegoth said:
    @Zii, @Nocroth, @Nizaris and @Alynna are absolutely horrifying and amazing with their Mhaldorian RP. I highly highly suggest poking them whenever they are around for very deep, intense RP
    Zii and Orzaansyn have been freaking awesome so far.
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
    @nizaris scares me IRL, honestly. Much love.
  • Don't drag me into this. :(
    edited January 2014
    EDIT: @Nizaris and @Alynna scare me IRL...

Like that?
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    edited January 2014
    Flowerdor.

Also, you forgot the crossdressing @Kaevan.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Jurixe said:
    Hate dirt but will sip tea in bloodstained robes?

Actually, it's a snow-white dress.
  • So Mhaldor is all about stringing up guys and playing with their insides? You sure you aren't in the wrong city @Silas?

• But this is why I'd never join Mhaldor

• KenwayKenway San Francisco
    This makes me want to join Mhaldor. You guys are awesome.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
    @Kenway I'll do this to you, no problem XD
  • Le me, minding my own business at Stygian Crossroads, when suddenly:

The wind whips and churns the red fog into confusing swirls and patterns of crimson, teasing and dancing along the streets.

At first nothing but incomprehensible howling, gradually the sheer noise subsides, and faint whispers can be heard amidst the chaos.

"He must have loved them..." murmurs a silken voice.

You say softly, "Love is a fruitless thing."

A low murmur of agreement. "He fought for them," counters a quiet hiss.

Kuy lowers his head, listening quietly.

"Many heathens have we seen," utter the myriad voices, now seeming to speak as one.

"Many who claimed to see the truth and leave weakness behind."

"Just like you..." croons a cold, tender voice.

"What makes -you- different?"

The whispers fall quiet, and an expectant silence lingers.

You say softly, "I come before the gates of Mhaldor not claiming to see the truth, but wishing to seek it. I come before the gates of Mhaldor not as a former Targossan, nor as an arrogant knave claiming to already know what is taught within its gates. I come before the gates of Mhaldor as nothing. I accept this, and whether or not it is to be changed, I will pledge my service to Mhaldor, to Evil, and to the Lord Sartan so that I may hope to learn truth."

"And what will you do, seeker," intones a deep, gravelly voice, "if you should ever find this truth you so desperately seek? What will come, then?"

You say softly, "Should I find such truth within the gates of Mhaldor, I shall remain in His service until my flash becomes the soil at the base of the mountain, and my bones the mortar within its walls. Truth is to be cherished, held, and spread. I shall do these things."

One voice chuckles disbelievingly. "You will, will you? Not slink back to the East with your newfound secrets of the Baelgrim?"

Disjointed phrases and snippets of conversation swirl around you. "Serpent...trust? ...spy..."

"Traitor..."

"Potential."

"Deserter...weak-"

"Protege."

You say softly, "I do not ask for secrets. Should they be given to me, they shall be engraved into my bone, shared only when my flesh and muscle is gone forever."

"What is the worth," inquires a low, silken voice, "of the word by one whose oath has already been broken?"

You say softly, "An oath sworn to those who would lie of their intentions is but another lie brought upon themselves."

The weight of scrutiny presses upon you, almost crushing in its intensity. "Do they lie of their intentions, or is it simply you who cannot see?"

"Having said that," the voice muses, "is it a lie if they cannot see that it is?"

You say softly, "If I am blind to them, then they have led me here, and I thank them. If they are blind, then I wish to be led by those who see, and remain at the gates of Mhaldor."

"Silver-tongued," spits the sibilant, hissing voice of before. "His words carry no substance. Where is proof of his devotion?"

You say softly, "Words are meaningless."

You say softly, "Look instead upon those I have skewered since leaving the East. Look instead upon those who shall be skewered."

A hollow chuckle resounds in the air.

"Think you that we are strangers to the promise of bloodshed?" snarls a different voice, deep and grumbling.

You say softly, "To do so would be naive and boastful."

"Aye," whispers a high, cold voice. "Bloodshed is what built Mhaldor."

Kuy nods softly in understanding.

"We wish to know," the voices intone as one, "the events that led you to us."

The expectant silence returns, this time heavier with impending judgment.

You say softly, "It began with a conversation within the barracks of Targossas between myself, Siduri, and Mithridates."

You say softly, "This conversation was on the principles of Light. It was argued that those who serve the Light should show benevolence, forgiveness, and compassion."

You say softly, "The teachings found within the Appellant's Handbook and spoken by Aurora and Deucalion suggest this is not true. The purpose of Good is to protect and perpetuate Creation, not be kind and gentle to those who would destroy it."

You say softly, "I sought out Her Augur, Aldair d'Vast. In lieu of answering my questions, I was given a tome."

You say softly, "This tome said only the same things I had read in other places, so I pressed on."

You say softly, "The teachings of the Lightbringer suggest that Creation is something which must be molded. It is like a garden, from which spring forth both flowers and weeds."

You say softly, "The hand of the followers of Light are to eradicate these weeds, so that the flowers may bloom."

You say softly, "What, then, is the difference between a flower and weed?"

You say softly, "It is only that the flower is offered protection, for both a flower and weed are of Creation."

You say softly, "It is said that all things are of Creation: all those who would follow Darkness, Chaos, and Evil."

You say softly, "What, then, is the purpose of selecting those parts of Creation that are deemed "fit" by only two Divine?"

You say softly, "It is tyranny."
  • For the record, this line:

"Silver-tongued," spits the sibilant, hissing voice of before. "His words carry no substance. Where is proof of his devotion?"

made me so freaking happy.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited January 2014
    Damn you people and your interesting things. Damn you all. :(

Just kidding.

But no, really, while the flogging thing was a bit too much for me, that last bit was amazing and wow. And wut at my name getting dropped. What a beautifuly-done questioning session. I'm not that well-spoken myself, so I must say, I'm impressed!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Beautiful. Really.