Elder Dragon Movement Messages

Elder Dragon Movement Messages

I recently got Elder Dragon, and went to look at the 'custom' movement messages you can pick (cool, right?!).

After reading them, all I could do was facepalm and sigh. For those that don't know, here is the list you can pick from:

You may select the following alternative enter/leave messages for dragonform.

(1):
Enter: Light shines prismatically from the outstretched wings of the elder dragon Cooper, who glides
in from the $dir before landing with a ground-shaking thump.
Exit: Launching him/herself $dir with $his/her powerful hindquarters, the elder dragon Cooper
unfurls his/her enormous wings and glides effortlessly to the $dir.

(2):
Enter: Cooper glides gracefully in from the $dir on open wings, the air rippling in his/her wake.
Exit: With a sinuous dip, Cooper wings gracefully away to the $dir, the air rippling in his/her wake.

(3):
Enter: With ominous portent, Cooper's draconic form approaches from the $dir.
Exit: Cooper vanishes to the $Dir, the surroundings seeming to shift in his/her wake.

(4):
Enter: The immense body of Cooper, his/her iron-hard scales gleaming brightly, emerges from the $dir.
Exit: The towering, draconic form of Cooper moves to the $dir, razor-sharp claws leaving deep gouges
in his/her wake.

(5):
Enter: The earth trembles underfoot as the elder dragon Cooper enters from the $dir.
Exit: The elder dragon Cooper leaves to the $dir, the earth trembling in his/her wake.

The only one that makes any sense and isn't bad RP in most situations is #2.

#1 - Not every Elder Dragon is going to have prismatically shiny wings, and they definitely aren't going to fly and land in every single room they enter.

#2 - The best of the bunch, but I'm not going to glide gracefully in every room I enter, and in certain environments 'dipping' as you leave does not make any sense.

#3 - The second least bad, but not every dragon is going to move with 'ominous portent' (p.s. ominous and portent are kind of the same thing, anyway). Sometimes we're happy, or come with joy.

#4 - Our claws leave deep gouges in every room we leave, eh? I guess we'll all be living in holes soon. Also, how do scales gleam brightly in dark areas?

#5 - Dragons are capable of being light on their feet. Not every room has earth in it, either (you know, rivers, lakes, etc.)

I don't know who wrote those or who approved them, but whoever did it was absolutely high.

Suggestions:

1. Re-write all the enter/exit messages so they actually make sense.

2. Allow every Elder Dragon to customize their own message so they aren't at the mercy of others.

3. Have a different exit/enter message for different environments.

4. Random other thing I haven't though of yet.

p.s. "The List" in this forum hasn't been updated since April.

Comments

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    The first five to get Elder Dragon got to choose the messages. You can thank them.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I said I didn't know who more to be kind, I know who wrote them.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Terrible all around, but I wonder if they would actually change them. At the very least, they could get the same people who submitted the first messages to rewrite them to make sense.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Well, first I'll defend mine a bit (#2). I think the motion of dipping does make sense in most environments in the way I imagine it. What I mean by "sinuous dip" is more like you might imagine an oriental style dragon to look like when it flies, where its head dips down and its body follows. Did a bit of a youtube search for something to illustrate what I mean, this is the best I could find in a quick search: youtube.com/watch?v=yezmC8BI_OQ.

As for the others, I have to agree with your criticisms overall. While the messages aren't meant for every dragon, if you ignore that bit the criticism still stands honestly. Not sure where the prismatic light comes from, leaving deep gouges doesn't make sense in a lot of environments (and would probably get them charged with vandalism in others!), and not all environments have earth underfoot.

That all said, I think they can each be modified to maintain their original intent, without having such glaring oddities. I think just fixing them up that way would be the better approach over just giving all elder dragons their own, since it was intended to be a reward for the first 5. I'm just not sure how much scrutiny these were given before being placed live, if any.
  • @Cardan, where are you? :(

• What Blupikaachu said :p

I think the original idea and intent was great, and the first five earned their reward but it would be great to have another, maybe five special and more generic/neutral ones for the other elders to choose from.
  • KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited January 2014
    They really should have just given the first five the option to write their own unique enter/exit, and designed some for others to choose from. I posted a thread a while back saying pretty much exactly this, it had some recognition from admin, but I guess it's not a high priority. I can understand that, just waiting and hoping they're fixed till I choose mine.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• #2 ain't terrible @Penwize.

It's probably one of the better ones, but the problem is that it wasn't even an option for me because it doesn't fit my style.

I ended up going with #5, which I'm decently satisfied with. Overall, it's a pretty shoddy list though and definitely needs to have some more added on.

• I was so relieved there was #2, @Penwize was the only one to cater to a dragon that didn't want to be HUGE, so thank you <3
    Achieved dragon on the 13th of Aeguary, 634 - aged 21 and 1 month and 21 days.

Elder dragon on the 6th of Chronos 635 - aged 22 and 8 months and 14 days.
  • I don't like #1 and #2 purely because you're going to have to go about to all the old doorways in Achaea and widen them to allow dragons to come in and out with their wings outstretched.

As a side thought.. having two enter/exits sets would be cool. One for flying movement and one for walking.
  • And one for cartwheeling.
  • Tahquil said:

I don't like #1 and #2 purely because you're going to have to go about to all the old doorways in Achaea and widen them to allow dragons to come in and out with their wings outstretched.

If doorways already handle the massive bulk of dragons, or people riding crazy things like giant mammoths, I don't think that's something we really have to worry much about. I've always just tried to largely ignore size as a factor in anything, if only because otherwise I have no idea how Mhaldor fits 20+ dragons into a single toilet. Suspension of disbelief for size is already a must, so I try to treat it as an inherent quality of Achaea's reality.
  • Clouds of smoke and soot billow into the room, preceding the elder dragon Elderdragon's entrance from the _______.
    (or)
    Clouds of smoke and soot billow in from the _____, preceding the elder dragon Elderdragon's entrance.

The air settles and the area gets cooler as elder dragon Elderdragon leaves to the _______.
    (up for suggestions)

I like these.

Or auction another custom message.
  • I would honestly prefer a plain movement message. Whatever dragon movement is already. Is that an option?

i'm a rebel

• There is now, can specify option 0 to reset to the default dragon messages.
  • Makarios said:

There is now, can specify option 0 to reset to the default dragon messages.

Or not specify, so you can choose to do so later if you want.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• @Makarios, while you're at it, can you make it so that choosing your elder dragon movement messages is either more intuitive or outlined plainly somewhere? I had to ask around to find out how, and even then it became a process of trial and error.

• I would actually like to roar really loud every time I enter or exit a room, and everyone has to emote covering their ears. While we're at it can we have the roar be area wide too?

Every time I enter or exit a room. thanks.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Aepas said:

I would actually like to roar really loud every time I enter or exit a room, and everyone has to emote covering their ears. While we're at it can we have the roar be area wide too?

Every time I enter or exit a room. thanks.

The first time you walk past someone it's like, "The Elder Dragon Aepas enters from the north with a deafening roar!" Then it changes to, "You barely notice as the Elder Dragon Aepas enters silently from the north."
  • oooh ooooh. Dibs on the Imperial March, then!

• Wing pulled up to his|her chin, $elder_dragon tip-toes comically into the room, a shifty look in their eyes.
    $elder_dragon pulls his|her wing up to their chin, looks shiftily round the room before tip-toeing comically to the $dir.
    Hiroma tells you, "I just got to listen to someone complain about your deadly axekick being the bane of their existence."
    Archdragon Mizik Corten, Herald of Ruin says, "Man, that was a big axk."
    Hellrazor Cain de Soulis, Sartan's Hammer says, "Your [sic] a beast."