Mudlet video tutorials

JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
edited November 2013 in Tech Support
So after seeing @Kurios' little live-stream video tutorial, it made me realize that being able to see things -as- they're being made really helps some people learn how things go together. I learned mostly by myself, pouring over the Lua wiki and Mudlet wikis. However, I know all too well how frustrating it can be to have to work things out on your own. Some people just don't want to deal with all of that frustration and so I've decided to make some Mudlet tutorials. Vadi has some good ones up on youtube and Kurios has promised to do a live stream once a week. 

I'd like to contribute what I've learned over the last couple years as well, although I am by no means a programmer by profession. I have the first video done already, just have to edit it a bit and upload it to youtube or something. It's about the use of GMCP and I'll post here when I get it uploaded.

All that being said, I'm wondering what some people are struggling with. Unfotunately, I can't do GUI stuff (although basic Geyser stuff does not confuse me anymore) because I have just started delving into that myself.

Comment and let me know what to make my next video about.

eta: have to edit because I forgot to enable voice recording and have to lay audio over the video. D:
I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.

Comments

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    So, this one is silly and whatnot. But, I want to make a simple miniConsole (I do have a tad bit of experience setting those up.) that will display my gmcp.Char.Vitals all in realtime.

Like...

Character Stats:

Name:
    Health:
    Mana"
    Endurance:
    Willpower:

blah blah blah.. All that. I cannot for the life of me, figure out the basics of gmcp. Any and all help you could give, in video/text/whatever form, I'd be grateful for man.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited November 2013
    Sure. I'll make it right now. I had to scrap the old video because the audio would not lay over the video properly and it'll cover pretty much what I wanted to do anyways.

Just made the video. Will upload shortly if I don't lose power from this massive storm.

Uploading now. Hopefully I don't sound too retarded. Hangover heaven.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
    Awesome man, thank you. Gonna have to work that into mine, and try to use the svo stuff as well to make it the way I like, heh. Still, HUGE help. 
  • Holy crap. That was awesome, Mosr. Seriously, thank you! 
  • I never knew there was gmcp for bal and eq
    Achieved dragon on the 13th of Aeguary, 634 - aged 21 and 1 month and 21 days.

Elder dragon on the 6th of Chronos 635 - aged 22 and 8 months and 14 days.
    Either did I! There have been quite a few additions to the GMCP information, such as players in the room (minus hidden people). I have yet to play with all of the new additions, but I am hoping I will have time this week to check some of the other stuff out.
  • Wait, they added balance to gmcp? :O
  • Pays to pay attention! :D

Yep!
  • Cathy said:
    Pays to pay attention! :D
    There wouldn't be a reason to watch for new GMCP events randomly coming in if changes like this were announced. :/
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Holy shit balance is now in gmcp.Char.Vitals ?! mylawdz.
    Yes, we've established this.
  • edited November 2013
    I have a script that breaks down every element of gmcp into an easier to read pulldown menu format. It's great for spotting these things. I check daily for stats (str/dex/int/con) because seriously why aren't they there already?!?

function whereAreMyStatsBitch()

whereMyStats = tempTrigger("strength", cecho("<black:red>\n\n HOLY BAWLS! It's there!!\n\n")

display(gmcp.Char.Items)

display(gmcp.Char.Name)

display(gmcp.Char.Status)

display(gmcp.Char.Skills)

display(gmcp.Char.Vitals)

display(gmcp.Char.StatusVars)

display(gmcp.Room.Players)

display(gmcp.Room.Info)

display(gmcp.Room.WrongDir)

display(gmcp.IRE.Time)

display(gmcp.IRE.Rift)

killTimer(whereMyStats)

end

edited November 2013
    Targeting with GMCP

Also, I made a page on www.mosr.webs.com dedicated to the video tutorials I do.
    edited November 2013
    Using the GMCP Character item tables.

Also, if anyone has questions and nobody is answering IG, feel free to add me on skype. mosr.gothfraidh
  • Jonathin said:
    Using the GMCP Character item tables.

Also, if anyone has questions and nobody is answering IG, feel free to add me on skype. mosr.gothfraidh
    Yay for namedropping! Boo for people knowing how bad at this I am D:

lol

I never know how to end them so I'm just like "kthxbai".
  • Thank you a bunch for these videos, I learn so much better via visualisation and this had helped.

I'm also trying to pin point your accent but that's just my curiosity. The audio is a nice level too as I find some videos can be too quiet.

Elaina x

Michigan.
    edited January 2014
    Namespace tutorial!