IronCon 2014 - Possible Cancellation

Ticket sales for IronCon 2014 have been very slow so far. In fact, only 11 tickets have been sold, which is pretty surprising given the enthusiasm for it after last year. We don’t know if people are just holding off or what, but unless we sell at least 40 additional tickets by the end of January, we’re going to have to cancel IronCon this year.

We know it’s risky to announce that we might have to do that, but we don’t have any other option – we need people who are intending to go to get tickets now!

What happens if I buy a ticket and it gets cancelled anyway?

We’ll refund your ticket purchase or give you credits, whichever you prefer. As a sweetener, even if we cancel, you can keep the 100 bound credits you get with a ticket purchase!

We definitely advise holding off on booking hotels or travel for IronCon until February, when we know for sure if we can continue to move forward with the event.

Where can I get more info about IronCon?

The best place is the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ironcon

Tickets can be bought here: http://www.ironrealms.com/ironcon2014

What if I’ve already bought a ticket and made travel arrangements, and it’s cancelled?

We’ll talk to you on a one-on-one basis there if it becomes necessary to cancel.

Comments

• AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    More like I can't buy tickets now.

• Yeah, my first thought was "what if people are like my husband and I and have to wait for taxes to get stuff like this" :/
    meh

• Well that sucks, I was hoping to use my tax return money to go. :(

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I wanted to use my tax return, too.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • I think its hard cause last year the tickets came in waves, so everyone is thinking why buy tickets now, when they will release some more as it draws closer? Maybe not, but idk thats what I would be thinking probably. Ironcon 2015 is in my plans so maybe make it an every other year event. Good luck selling the last of the tickets!
  • Ah, I had been holding off on getting tickets. I guess I'll go buy mine now.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • I'm debating for several reasons, not the least of which is that, once again, it falls on my father's birthday weekend. I don't want to buy and not be able to go. But I also don't want it to not happen. Oy!

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• re: tax returns - you guys do know you can submit your taxes pretty much any time after january 1st, right? The April date is just the 'you have to really should have it done by now or we slap your wrists' deadline.

• except they don't always process them before the end of January, and employers have until like the 2nd -3rd week of Jan to supply your tax info
  • fair enough.

• AkiaAkia phoenix, az
    I'll for sure be coming, Vegas is a very easy trip for me. Just don't have the cash for a ticket right now, damned holidays ruined me.

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I just bought my ticket last night. I'm not even sure if I can go because of potential weddings in the summer but I hope there is an Ironcon event to flake on last minute :)
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I'm waiting on my tax return as well. Just have to wait for my W2s and whatnot. Hopefully I'll have it by my next paycheck.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Ainia said:

Oh this sucks. I wonder if people are like "oh, there will be tickets, I can buy them later".

I'm pretty guilty of this. I'll get my ass in gear.

• Ainia said:

Oh this sucks. I wonder if people are like "oh, there will be tickets, I can buy them later".

In my case, I just know people will have to ditch last minute and I'd rather buy them crazy cheap, around where I tried to sell mine off last year.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Update on ticket sales?
  • Not great! Only five additional sold since this thread was started.
  • Could you look at a cheaper venue instead?

• edited January 2014
    Yep, they've gone out on the other games. The 16 tickets sold so far are spread across all five games.

No, not going to look at a different venue this year. If there's not enough interest for this, there's not enough interest for it to be worthwhile to put together this year.

I'm hoping people are just getting organized post-New Year's and will start buying soon!
  • Is there anyway to get a soft count? For example: People that might not be able to afford them until next month or tax returns coming back can send an email/pm to someone or an address to mark their intention on buying?
  • That's certainly what we're going to do next time (and wish we had done this time!), but for this year, it needs to be hard confirmations by end of January.
  • Sarapis said:

That's certainly what we're going to do next time (and wish we had done this time!), but for this year, it needs to be hard confirmations by end of January.

I might have to go at some point, but this year doesn't look too great. Time of year is too close to Dragon*Con for me to afford both, and let's face it; if you've got an open bar, I'm positive my ticket price would be dwarfed by what I consume.

• edited January 2014
    I would like to voice that I think it's an awesome idea and really appreciate you guys putting together something like this. From people that I've talked to that went, they really had a good time...and I still have never made it out to Vegas. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know if I'd be able to go for another month or two. (Vacation doesn't reset until March)
  • edited January 2014
    @Sarapis - I think you're getting a little worked up over this. Most companies do not allow people to start scheduling vacation until now. Especially for prime summer dates. Also people will likely buy plane tickets, hotels, and con tickets with tax return money. Most of the world is not able to shell out a grand in prepaid stuff without lining up some ducks after the first of the year.

Edit: Let's not forget the normal first-of-the-year-projects-that-have-no-end-date-and-you-just-need-a-few-weeks-to-ensure-you-are-not-going-to-drop-the-ball-by-scheduling-your-vacation-near-an-important-deadline!
  • We had plenty of tickets sold by this time last year, despite tickets going on sale later than they did this year, and all of your reasoning would have applied then as much as now. It's evident there is just far less interest this year.
  • If we get a ticket and can't go, can we transfer it to someone else? I don't plan trips six months in advance.
  • Yep, you can indeed.
  • People rushed to get tickets last year because we thought they would sell out in a few days though. Now people know they will last longer

• And people now know that tickets are even more limited this year - they will be gone at the end of January. Hasn't caused folks to rush to buy tickets though.