Show off your house!

Hi all! I'm starting to build my own house (5 rooms and counting!) and I've been going around getting examples from different locations on how to write room descriptions. For now, I think the building will slowdown since I have to save for upgrades (they're so expensive!) but I haven't finished all the room descriptions and I'm curious to see how other players have their houses set up. You don't have to paste the description of every room, but if you have a particular favourite, please post and inspire me!

PS: If you have favourite urban rooms in other areas, you can paste those too! I have only really been looking at towny-villages like Tasur'ke and Thera so far.

Comments

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    My house in Cyrene was really nicely laid out. It opened into a grassy courtyard, with a garden and lake to the south. Stables to the north and dual access to the house itself. I had a kitchen with a stove and humgii, a lounge area which had all the regens and privacy, a library which I intended to put news access into, a bedroom, and a hidden underground storage room.

I think the stables were the best written of all of those rooms but I sadly no longer have the descriptions. Amunet's mansion in Ashtan is just breathtaking to see, I think it's thirty-something rooms. I'm rather fond of housing and interior design, so I hope you keep going with it.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• What I've got planned so far is about 12 rooms, give or take a room or two. I don't think I'll get a stable (although I originally thought to) cause I asked and it can only be used by the owner (and I'm not really a mount person except for a pet goat).

It's going to take me a while though, and about 1500 credits just for 12 rooms! From what I've calculated so far, I use city and level credits for my skills only, but if I earn enough gold to buy 1 credit every day (that IG credit market rate :( ) plus the monthly iron elite, I should have the house complete by the end of 2014, or maybe sooner depending.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Consider doing things like lotteries to raise some funds as well, if you have some things to give away as prizes. My house in Cyrene was only eight rooms all up but I spent well over 6k credits on upgrades. I did go all out though.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    I'd reeeeeeally love to have a monthly promotion that had a discount for housing upgrades. Will never happen but *daydreams*
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited December 2013
    I still remember fondly the abandoned monastery cloister I did when I lived in Hashan. I used to daydream about expanding it into the complete ruins of a monastery, and at one point ever did a complete sketch of the whole lot of rooms it would require, and how exactly they would connect. In the end, I just decided to leave it a small thing instead. One of my biggest regrets about getting enemied to the city was losing access to it.

I'd post a description of it, but I unfortunately don't have it on my pc anymore. And it was a ruin anyway, not so much a house in any proper sense.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Nell essentially lives in a hobbit hole. Dug into a hill and fairly large, and since it's a single room the description is ridiculously long. I'm planning on splitting it up later (once I get a few things that aren't housing dealt with) but for now, I'm just gonna have to live with having like a 12 line room description. Not like anyone but her immediate family has perms to it anyway.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I totally thought people were going to show off photos of their real life houses.

Achilles has (had?) a tiny beach bungalow but I think its now on a grassy plot when they miraculously moved the Shallam subdivisions to Targossas. My room description makes no sense now as I no longer have an ocean view.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I have 2 sub plots and 2 out of sub plots with a fair few rooms. Plan to expand one day.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • I have 14 rooms in Actar (my dojo) that I painfully laid out to make sure that all of the non-house outside rooms rooms fit with Actar some of the customs and room addons are really better seeing in person so if you want to take a look at it just give me a message in game and I can show it off (which I love doing) long as your not an enemy of Cyrene it should be fine (stupid totems I need to change them)

• Rinzai said:

I have 14 rooms in Actar (my dojo) that I painfully laid out to make sure that all of the non-house outside rooms rooms fit with Actar some of the customs and room addons are really better seeing in person so if you want to take a look at it just give me a message in game and I can show it off (which I love doing) long as your not an enemy of Cyrene it should be fine (stupid totems I need to change them)

But let me and @Xer in!

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Rinzai, offer for totem work is still open. ;)

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    I wish I had the credits to build a fully decked-out house. That's one of my life goals in Achaea, to build a real and proper mansion for people to use and host events in and whatnot. Housing is so crazy expensive, for good reason, but sigh.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Or you could put the effort into buying a huge, awesome house to host parties at and you'll just get raided. ^_^

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited December 2013
    Aerek and I currently own a manor by Adryn's Keep that's 16-18 rooms. This includes hallways though, and the manor is only maybe a third of the way done... and this isn't including too many extras (mostly a garden and roof taken off in the courtyard presently. More ambiance type things to come in the future!). It's a huge dream (and expense) to get it "done" (how do we even define done?!), but it's been really fun to build up. Hopefully once we get past certain security issues, I'll be using it more reguarly. Donations to prism-proofing are welcome. ;)

We're still in the middle of designing several spaces, but probably my favourite at this moment is the kitchens, especially since Mel is the family cook:

The kitchens (indoors).
    Tucked into the back of the manor, the circular kitchens are dominated by a large, octagonal, black granite furnace at its center. Fed by an opening on its north face, baking ovens occupy the other cardinal facets, and a chimney of the same black stone supports the roof above while carrying away the heat and smoke. Shuttered windows in the east and west allow for natural light as well as the airing of odors from failed creations. Pantries, cabinets, and countertops of finished oak wrap around most of the walls, and a cast-iron stovetop sits in the northeast by a stack of fuel. In the southeast, a table set offers a place for small meals or comfort for the kitchen staff, topped by a potted basil plant. Dried herbs and seasonings are strung about the room, and hanging ominously by the door is a collection of knives and cleavers, equally at home furthering culinary arts or fending off reprehensible husbands. A small cooking stove stands here. A runic totem is planted solidly in the ground.
    You see a single exit leading south.

One day we'll turn the little stove into a huge monstrosity of cast iron. It's on the list!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I have an out of subs keep in Thraasi, but it costs a fucking fortune so it's on the back burner.

Was fun to plan out before I joined Targ and had nothing better to do, though.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Melodie said:

hanging ominously by the door is a collection of knives and cleavers, equally at home furthering culinary arts or fending off reprehensible husbands.

Something about your marriage you ain't telling us, Mel?

• Skye said:

Melodie said:

hanging ominously by the door is a collection of knives and cleavers, equally at home furthering culinary arts or fending off reprehensible husbands.

Something about your marriage you ain't telling us, Mel?

She has been engaged to be married to Sir Aerek Ancyrion for 277 months.

That it doesn't exist yet! :O
    Achieved dragon on the 13th of Aeguary, 634 - aged 21 and 1 month and 21 days.

Elder dragon on the 6th of Chronos 635 - aged 22 and 8 months and 14 days.
  • edited December 2013
    Kyrra said:

I think I want them all done though, I'll pester you in game, we can be friends again!

@silas I wanted that place so bad because of the event where I helped build the dock, but that price was more than I had, and ending up eventually in Actar is just as awesome.
  • I have a one-room house in one of the not-ugly parts of Ashtan's subs. It is a derelict laboratory overgrown by weeds. I never used it so I figured I should redescribe it as something that was never used.

I had a few ideas for expanding it into a little grotto, but houses cost way too much for something so rarely used, with the mandatory cost of prism-proofing. Far more appealing to spend those credits on something equally frivolous but more functional like shiny customisations or a shiny pet, not to mention actual artifacts.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Rinzai said:

Kyrra said:

I think I want them all done though, I'll pester you in game, we can be friends again!
    Think I've replanted something like 45ish, so your 14 is super easy. Let me know whenever!

• I can't remember how many rooms I'm up to in mine off the top of my head, I want to say somewhere in the 15-20 range, but it's also definitely not done.

I had an out-of-subs house in Shallam (on Ashur Walk) because my house sort of pre-dated subdivisions, so when the city sank, so did my house. In June, Tecton let me rebuild my estate near Ka'Doloki. let me know if you'd like a tour.

• SamakhulisSamakhulis Greeley, Colorado
    edited January 2014
    I'll leave out the contents, since this is also a stable for the critters:

Within a misty greenhouse (indoors).
    A fine mist fills the air surrounding the various flowers and trees of this large greenhouse. Arching overhead, and shading the ground from much of the sunlight from outside is a large palm tree. Its trunk is covered with a thick dark-green moss and from a number of these tufts of feathery growth dangle large red and green pitcher plants. The ceiling and walls of the greenhouse are made of plate glass seperated by strips of steel and wood meant to contain the heat and sunlight as well as the moisture. Even the shriek of a tropical bird and the buzz of strange insects can be heard periodically.

One thing I do like that I didn't realise until much later was that you can even redesc and rename the interior of a bed!

Candlelit pedestal of emerald (indoors).
    Within the centre of the dark, tapestry-lined room, the candles which are scattered over the floor and on the various platforms set around the room all seem to converge on a small bed set on a sort of stone dais. A few feet circumventing the dais are set a number of cushions, pillows and blankets that cover the shag rug which fills the rest of the room. The walls of the room, along with its tapestries and mural are hidden in darkness, while this small space is hemmed in by the curtain of candlelight that obscures the view beyond. Set in the very centre of the dais, the small bed of pure crystalline emerald sits, curling upward tastefully on both ends, while its sides are completely open. Inside of the gleaming emerald bed, a cushion is settled, stretched with fine, white, satin sheets. Complementing them are two large, satin pillows and a rather comfy-looking coverlette of white rabbit-fur. The candles on the floor illuminate the base of the bed with its four feet, causing the entire thing to glow and flicker in a brilliant, crystalline green.

And finally, my third favourite..well not a favourite, as I'm pretty proud of all of mine :D.

Inside a well-furnished kitchen (indoors).
    A spacious room in the corner of the cottage has been converted into a functional kitchen. A small black iron stove stands against one wall, its chimney extending through the roof. Also, a birch table is set in the centre of the room, its edge lined with a few chairs fashioned from bent willow branches. A hallway leads out of the kitchen and into the main entryway of the cottage, while a glass doorway has been set into the opposite wall, allowing one a glimpse of an enclosed, sunlit greenhouse. In the corner of the kitchen, a rectangular hole has been cut into the floor and a small staircase is seen within it, leading downward into a dark room situated beneath this portion of the cottage.

Oh yeah. Can't forget the best one ever that at least everyone needs to have one of:

A very boring room. Change this.
    Remind me to dig out 1) my two parody contributions and 2) the Colorado 2014 photos! Both threads are gone, and I'm sad.

Star Wars COULD be boring...but it isn't. Here's why I don't tell people that I'm talking with an NPC. Oh, and I never actually met Ethaya, but her comics are absolutely amazing!!

Speaking of rare minerals: Defuperine - That candy coating that you find on the skin of overzealous adventurers who put on so many layers of defenses upon awakening that you wonder how they're able to move afterward.

• I also realized that I have expanded my seastrider as much as possible and once again it was painful to make sure all the rooms looked right and made sense with the ship.

And Hasar wasn't invited and I bet he didn't even skip stones when he was there. He could have went for the record!
  • Thanks to @Rinzai for showing off his super awesome place to me. I have some new ideas now, even if I can't afford them yet! :)
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited January 2014
    My house is a basilica. Shhh, don't tell Deucora.

Chamber of Celestial Harmony (indoors).
    This room has not been mapped.
    Despite the sanguine silence, it is apparent that the sounds of harmonious singing once filled this wonderful, bright chamber, delighting all ears upon the very first step within. Soot marks the places where hundreds of votive candles once filled the room, happily alight, each one a symbol of a child saved from a wretched life on the streets. Children of all ages could thus be seen moving about the chamber, happily smiling as they passed, carefully watched by young priests and priestesses. Marble pillars mottled with a cheerful blue support the high roof, at one time providing hiding places for giggling young ones. A large platform rested at the far end of the deep room, the place where the choir practiced and performed their wonderful hymns. A kindly-faced, rotund looking man clad in pristine white once sat behind a simple table, idly tapping his foot to the strains of some unheard melody while a sturdy chest of ironwood sat against one wall and was apparently used for the storage of extra votive candles with which to light the chamber. A bare place in the stand marks where a huge sphere of pure Light once spun slowly as it floated above a disc of shining platinum. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground.
    You see a single exit leading north (open door).

A vast antechamber (indoors).
    Footsteps reverberate through this vast chamber of marble, filling it with a solemn sound at every approach. A high dome creates the ceiling, built from panels of glass that allow beams of light to touch the floor, warm and dazzling as they illuminate the dust in their path. Archways lead in all the cardinal directions, each inscribed with a tenet of the church. The eastern doorway holds"Spirit", while north has "Faith", and the western arch writes "Strength" near southern "Integrity." A runic totem is planted solidly in the ground. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground.
    You see exits leading north, east, south (open door), and west.

Apse (indoors).
    This small chamber sits at the peak of the nave, overlooking the long halls below. A light that is surely divine fills the room with a pleasant warmth that quietly soothes your soul. A respectful silence lingers here, encouraging inward meditation and deep thought, while the scent of fresh flowers also infuses the air, wafting from the blossoms strewn in offering. Now absent, dust marks where a leather-bound book upon a pedestal of pure light, once rested. A magnificent statue of Miramar, Goddess of Justice once stood nearby, Her Scales held aloft in one hand while the other held Her Sword at ready. A runic totem is planted solidly in the ground. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on
    the ground.
    You see a single exit leading south.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • @Szareine: I am a wandering citied hobo. I'm so hobo, I preface my SHIN BURSTs with "HOBOKEN!" and things die.

(That being said, I look forward to seeing your awesome hidey-fun-house. If you need help with room descriptions, can probably help give ideas.)

• I think I should contribute to my own thread. This is my room description, I think it is bit wordy, but I had so many ideas of what to put in it.

The Vesper Quarter (indoors).
    The dark oak parquet of the landing follows nearly two feet into the confines of the Vesper Quarter and stops abruptly with a single step of elevation separating the room's interior from the rest of the house. Plush cream carpetting covers the floor with crown and base mouldings of pure white offset to the dark blue cobalt walls, brightening the otherwise mellow tone of the room. Swathed in white sheets of jacquard woven cotton and piled with ruffled pillows and an overstuffed mattress, a bed too comfortable-looking to be comfortable has been pushed into a corner with a small desk and stool positioned close by to double as a vanity. A kind of organised chaos spreads across the narrow surface as stationery and cosmetics, under the watchful eye of a long-handled hand mirror hanging from a hook on the wall, appear to be engaged in guerrilla warfare for dominance. Despite the orientation of the room, a comfortable amount of light filters in during the day via the impressive bay window that takes up the majority of the northern wall. Flanked by lacy white curtains that have been drawn and secured by ribbons of indigo satin, it is broad enough for a person to sit and enjoy the garden view and a beverage at their leisure. The saggy cushion at one end and the multitude of faint circular stains on the polished surface hint that this particular corner may indeed be the most frequented in the room. Lying flat on the ground is a key-shaped sigil. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. An obsidian eye sigil is here. Barely the width of a humanoid palm, a small, water-worn chest rests upon the ground. A runic totem is planted solidly in the ground. Colourful ribbons flutter about a wicker basket.