Learning the Japanese Language

Hey all! I'm working on learning how to speak, and write, Japanese! So if there are any fluent Japanese speakers out there who may be able to answer questions now and then, please let me know.

Comments

• edited December 2013
    The only Japanese I learned when I went there in April this year was how to ask for a beer and then another beer once that one was finished.  I figured everything else I would need could be acted out with that weird game of charades that people do to other people who speak another language.  I recommend trying that.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • You went and drank beer instead of sake? For shame, for shame.
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • JozlynJozlyn out of here.
    Hey! If you ever need someone to practice with I'd be happy to chat. My language skills are becoming rusty and it's disappointing.

:)
     yes, sir.
  • Thanks Jozlyn! Ill let you know!
  • Been working on learning Japanese for longer than I care to admit.

My own fault that I'm so easily distracted.
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I like making an attempt to read manga raws and later read them again once they've been translated to see how much I actually got right. I still have my old textbooks and such, but I haven't really made use of it since graduation and my oral skills are shot.

• I've lived in japan for 3 years now.

Flashcards, flashcards, flashcards. Memorizing kanji is a pain in the ass but it's a necessity. I'll look up a decent learning list, but you should know around 5k-10k by heart to be decently proficient.

speaking it? well just get used to the grammar rules, then memorize what you can.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Can still read and write Japanese from what I learnt in high school so when I went to Japan, I just had to pretend I was a really quiet person as I roamed around. Speaking and listening? Nuhp. It's actually the same with French now for me too.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• JozlynJozlyn out of here.
    I miss umeshu and getting wasted with my host dad.
     yes, sir.
  • edited December 2013
    studied in high school and a bit in college... comprehension is great. I can only speak a few things now though :(
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    I have only a passing familiarity with Japanese but when I was learning mandarin I got interested in Jay Chou and this helped a lot because the melody of the songs got stuck in my head which would help with vocabulary memorization and pronunciaton.

I recommend finding music in the language that you want to learn. Learn the lyrics (google search for original and translated lyrics) and sing along. Start with children's tunes then move up to more advanced stuff.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"