Mudlet Mapper - Crowdmap

Hello everyone. As most of you know that use Achaea's crowdmap for mudlet I am the main person who updates the map as best as possible. There will be some major changes in store for the crowdmap in the near future. I have also created an email that you can contact me at if you do not want to contact me in-game: QwindorRousseau@gmail.com. You can of course also request or post ideas here in this thread.

Updates:

-Ability to walk through wilderness -- In progress but will still be some time not to mention with only a fraction mapped it has slowed down my sexy beast of a computer in finding a path through normal areas

-Areas being diminished to speed up the script in pathing -- This will still be some time as we are working on a way for the script to store the information of the actual gmcp area in another place that is easier and quicker for the script to access. Along with this will be a much much larger map without the different areas being defined so you can see one area from the next without having to enter that area. As I said this is still some time off so do not expect it really soon just be prepaired for it at some point.

I am sure Vadi will have other things he is planning on adding to the script as well though I think there is another thread for that entirely.

Qwindor Rousseau

Comments

• NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    edited September 2013
    @Qwindor:

Thank you again for your hard work. I am wondering if each room can just be given a coordinate via GMCP, and then you simply collate all of the GMCP coordinates all of the wilderness exits, and allow pathfinding to get friendly with Pythagoras? 

EDIT: That way, you don't actually have to map the rooms, but just know how to get from (x1, y1) -> (x2, y2).

EDIT2: Forseeable problems: shape of the continent, water, mountains. Possible solution, map out only the boundaries of these obstacles?

( Hint hint: @Sarapis, @Tecton )
  • Well, the wilderness rooms do have persistent IDs now, and there is a pattern to them. I don't remember exactly how it goes, but I remember looking at it a bit when Vadi mentioned working on wilderness autowalking a while back.
    Eld said:
    Well, the wilderness rooms do have persistent IDs now, and there is a pattern to them. I don't remember exactly how it goes, but I remember looking at it a bit when Vadi mentioned working on wilderness autowalking a while back.
    Ah. Persistent ID's, but not necessarily coordinates? That is a shame.

I suppose that if it is the case that coordinates can be precisely and reliably derived from the pattern of ID's, then that would be advantageous. Having used @Tirac's sea mapper, which caused for me no end of performance issues even on an i7 with 8GB RAM, I would suggest not modeling/rendering the entire wilderness in Mudlet mapper, but instead using a coordinate system for rooms with constraints for specific rooms/nodes that are impassable. Instead of a database for every single room in the wilderness, or even set paths that one may end off of, you could just model it as a two-dimensional number line with a (smaller) table of impassable room coordinates. Smaller performance hit on processor, smaller RAM footprint.

Then again, I don't know anything about the realities inherent to the problem, so this may not be possible at all.
    Yeah ...

Pretty sure that you can extrapolate coordinates from the room numbers:

Granted, that's four rooms, but the pattern seems pretty easy to figure out.
  • Nizaris said:
    Yeah ...

Well, the thing is that if you'd gone north another hundred or so steps (until the last three digits hit...255, I think) it rolls back to zero, and the first four digits shift to something not clearly related (i.e., the relation isn't easily derivable from available information).
    edited September 2013
    Eld said:
    Nizaris said:
    Yeah ...

Well, the thing is that if you'd gone north another hundred or so steps (until the last three digits hit...255, I think) it rolls back to zero, and the first four digits shift to something not clearly related (i.e., the relation isn't easily derivable from available information).

-----------------------------

I was wondering how it would roll over, yeah. I can also foresee problems with determining which part of the gmcp.Room.Info.num string is the x-coordinate, and which the y, when you get to certain high/low values on each. Here, it almost looks like the first four characters are related to the x-coordinate, and the last three related to the y. So, how is the computer to know at low x-coordinates to only take the first two-three characters? Basically, there's no placeholder for digits so that the coordinates could be a constant length of the substring (leading zeroes would have been nice).

EDIT: Quotes suck.
  • EldEld
    edited September 2013
    Nizaris said:
    Eld said:
    Nizaris said:
    Yeah ...

-----------------------------

I was wondering how it would roll over, yeah. I can also foresee problems with determining which part of the gmcp.Room.Info.num string is the x-coordinate, and which the y, when you get to certain high/low values on each. Here, it almost looks like the first four characters are related to the x-coordinate, and the last three related to the y. So, how is the computer to know at low x-coordinates to only take the first two-three characters? Basically, there's no placeholder for digits so that the coordinates could be a constant length of the substring (leading zeroes would have been nice).

EDIT: Quotes suck.
    Well, the last three digits for the y are zero-padded, so just take those as y and the rest as x. BTW, I think these quote issues arise when you use text formatting in your reply (like your bolded "three").
  • QwindorQwindor Fort Riley
    well lets just say we have found a way to make it easier on the visuals to map the wilderness so it isnt as hard on your computer when it tries to get a path with that map currently while in the wilderness and such. We are also working on a way to speed it up further but that again is waiting on some coding so you'll just have to be patient

• If you want to code in the grid rollover, you're more than welcome to contribute. The latest mapper script does have wilderness in it - but it fails to considers grids and thinks the wilderness is one big grid. It'll have to be changed to creating the coordinates as relative instead of exact and account for the grids.

I'm available to answer any questions you might have.
  • EldEld
    edited September 2013
    Nm, didn't fully read.
  • Not sure if this is connected, but I'm getting a runtime error that forces me to close Mudlet whenever I try to goto anywhere, as of today. I tried arealocking wilderness, but it didn't help the problem.
    Aye we are working on it. More than likely have to just continue mapping the wilderness and not uploading that portion of the map until we can get this issue fixed.

The latest script update for the mapper should have fixed most of those issues. If you still have issues after updating and restarting mudlet make sure to contact Vadi about it.

• The latest mapper script does this automatically as well now.
  • Not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this, but there's apparently a big of Moghedu that's bugged in crowdmap. Second level it seems - not sure where exactly. If you try to goto an area there or below the mapper says it can't find a path. It tracks the movement and displays the room fine; just won't autowalk. If you go below that level and move somewhere at the third level or below, it functions fine. Try and goto somewhere above the second again? No dice.
    I'll see if I can get it fixed again. Not sure why it's breaking like that.

Ive gone through the area again and it seems to be an off and on again issue. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have no idea why its doing it as I'm not coming up with anything on my debug or errors when I try and fail. Will do our best to resolve the issue though so you might just have to manual walk a little bit as well.

• edited October 2013
    I updated Mapper and CrowdMap and my goto is still brutally slow. Almost a 3-5s lag the first time I sense the person. After that its snappy as long as they have stayed in the same room.

Makes it impossible to chase someone.

Ideas?
  • I am having this problem, too.  the "get path" is frustratingly long.  A month ago, I could do this in under a second and spam it to different rooms.  Now it's 5-10 seconds.

I have deleted all maps and crowdmaps and reinstalled the mapper and same issues.
  • Daeir said:
    I am also having persistent crashing issues when moving more than five rooms away from a wilderness exit, and these problems disappear when the mapper is unloaded.
    You'd want to report that to Mudlet forums.
  • Jhui said:
    I am having this problem, too.  the "get path" is frustratingly long.  A month ago, I could do this in under a second and spam it to different rooms.  Now it's 5-10 seconds.

I have deleted all maps and crowdmaps and reinstalled the mapper and same issues.
    Not much changed, so I'm not sure yet. One possibility would be to try and 're-create' the map file by exporting everything from it with Lua and importing again - I think I had some code that did similar things when it merged areas.

For deleting all maps, make sure you close Mudlet and delete the maps/ folder in your profile. Then download the map anew.
  • I'm having an issue where whenever I close out of Mudlet, I have crowdmap set to true. I come back in and the map seems to be the Achaea map.
    You might want to have your settings changed to save whenever you close out of mudlet.

So haven't updated you guys in awhile here on the goings on of the crowdmap as I have been fairly busy with work and such. We know the script is having issues with the size of the map and causing some lag with pretty much everyone who uses it for certain things. We apologize for this and are trying to resolve the problem but things like this take time. I have updated massively on wormholes now and at last count there are 810 wormhole special exits that should all be accurate to my knowledge so far. Secondsight has helped greatly with that in checking them and I had walked around quite extensively to add and delete the wormholes on the map that were good or bad but of course if you run across any that do not work or ones that need to be added message me in game with the room numbers or even post it here on the forums. Also the wilderness portion of the map which has not been getting uploaded as part of the crowdmap as it was causing so many people to crash that it became detrimental to upload and update with has been coming along slowly. We are currently at approximately 70,000 wilderness rooms and no that number is not being exaggerated at all. I'm not even halfway done yet I think so it will continue to be mapped and we will use that map to hopefully find the issues with the script to keep people from lagging when using it or even crashing their mudlet. Cheers everyone and hope you all had a happy holiday.

Qwindor Rousseau

• If anyone is actually having performance problems with the crowdmap, please report them on Mudlet forums. I haven't heard anyone's pathfinding being slow with the current crowdmap in a while and assume everything is fine then.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    only issue i've had lately is when doubleclicking Crossroads for example, it keeps giving me the error that it can't find a route with known exits, even when I'm one south of it
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."