Quick Questions

Comments

• Something's been bugging me a lot. What exactly does nightvision do?

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • edited October 2012
    It works by collecting the tiny amounts of light, including the lower portion of the infrared light spectrum, that are present but may be imperceptible to our eyes, and amplifying it to the point that we can easily observe the image. 

nightsight makes you be able to still see in things like 'unholy darkness'
  • Iocun said:

or a glint,

Did a double-take here, and lol'd heartily.
  • edited October 2012
    Erasariel said:
    Something's been bugging me a lot. What exactly does nightvision do?
    Allows you to see in dark rooms (the ones that say "Unholy darkness obscures your vision."), but they aren't very common. Necromancers and Occultists have Night to make any room dark like that, but it's rarely used because it's so easily dispelled and nightsight is really common.

It also allows you to see farther in the wilderness/subdivision/ocean map.
  • what exactly is/is not seen in blackout?

• Find out in-game.

• edited October 2012
    though I understand the sentiment, such seems somewhat antithetical to the thread as a whole, especially given the previous questions that were answered.

Furthermore, as combat, and perhaps more specifically the question of which messages are or are not seen in blackout is somewhat inherently OOC, I see no reason why asking here detracts from anything.

If you are going to bother posting just to say that, at least be consistent and do it for every question asked. Keep it consistent.

Edit: Oh, wait, you're Shallamese, right.

• CrathenCrathen Ireland
    edited October 2012
    Silas isn't Shallamese so much as he's Shallam. 

*partially inactive observer's perspective

He might've been suggesting that finding out IG could be a potentially enriching experience. Many of the questions asked here simply aren't appropriate IG (such as the ones that are intimately linked to the confusing aspects of mechanics, rather than merely concerning mechanics, like your question). 

On the other hand, it's Silas Shallam; he was probably trolling.

edited to trade off vulgarity for succinctness 
  • The thread is also called "Quick questions". An exhaustive list of everything that is and isn't seen whilst under the effects of blackout probably doesn't fall under that category.

However, to get you started:
    You don't see sips from vials, but do see the lines when a health or mana elixir restores health or mana
    You don't see eating herbs, but do see the relevant affliction curing line (I assume this applies to applying salves and smoking pipes, too)
    You see balance and equilibrium recovery messages
    You see affliction symptom lines ("You are paralysed and can't do that.", etc)
    Most, if not all, attacks are hidden (since that's pretty much the purpose of blackout)

And to save you the trouble of HONOURSing me in-game: I'm also Shallamese so let's keep the idiotic generalisations out of this.
  • Antonius said:
    Most, if not all, attacks are hidden (since that's pretty much the purpose of blackout)
    You do however see many things that accompany attacks, such as venom lines, limb breaks, etc.

Also, you don't see illusions in blackout :(
  • thanks, I guess I'll actually have to take people's advice and test for the rest of the particulars

and I wasn't trying to make dumb generalizations of personality as much as poke fun at shifting religious beliefs. I guess my snide comment skills are lacking

• edited October 2012
    You don't see *targetted illusions in blackout.

And people should lighten up about an obvious joke, but this really is the kind of thing best found out in game.

• Erring on the correct side of automation rules isn't in the exact details of how your script works, it's about being able to pass a Turing test. If an admin/divine comes along, sees you doing something, tries to get your attention in some manner, and you don't respond, it's a shrubbing. If you respond, you're fine.
    My free mudlet scripts can be had HERE.
  • might be in that case, but if you take forging like an example, if you got an trigger to take the rapier out of the forge and forge a new one, they can go in and see if it's the same time on each turn you get and forge a new one, and if it is you will get shrubbed. Even if your present. I got that explained in an long email, that it's illegal to have something that it's possible to go AFK and continue to do it, even if your not going AFK.

• Sohl said:
    Erring on the correct side of automation rules isn't in the exact details of how your script works, it's about being able to pass a Turing test. If an admin/divine comes along, sees you doing something, tries to get your attention in some manner, and you don't respond, it's a shrubbing. If you respond, you're fine.
    What if I'm choosing not to respond? What then?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • I forge on balance and get whatever from the forge when it's done, but I use a single alias to outrift everything necessary and forge for <whatever>. 
  • That is ok Peak, that means you cannot go AFK to answear the door and make a new rapier. atleast that's what they explained to me

• edited October 2012
    Salik said:

might be in that case, but if you take forging like an example, if you got an trigger to take the rapier out of the forge and forge a new one, they can go in and see if it's the same time on each turn you get and forge a new one, and if it is you will get shrubbed. Even if your present. I got that explained in an long email, that it's illegal to have something that it's possible to go AFK and continue to do it, even if your not going AFK.

This contradicts every admin statement/ruling I've seen, which is several. You can search the old forums (Edit: Or look here and here) and find Clementius and Tecton both claiming otherwise.
  • Email them and see it for yourself. I got this explained to me. but I guess some admin can confirm it if they read this thread.
  • Salik is technically right. It is illegal to automate things to point where you -can- walk away from your keyboard, regardless if you do or not. In practice, as long as you respond to anything the admins throw at you, they won't punish you. It is quite clear in the help file, too, unless they've changed it recentlyish.

• It wouldn't be the first time different people have gotten contradictory answers from the admin about a query. If you really want to err on the safe side, script it so you technically have to be at the keyboard. This removes the temptation of going AFK even for short amounts of time. My guess though, based on what I've read from the admin as well as my own experience, is that as long as you respond to an admin trying to get your attention, you'll be fine.
    My free mudlet scripts can be had HERE.
  • Aye, just wanted to warn people, I do not have those triggers anymore, I removed them. Just tried to answear a question and help out so none get's into the bad habit of doing triggers like that and get punished.

• In all seriousness, the problem is that if your house catches fire/your kid suddenly has a night terror/daddy gets home and he's been drinkin', then the last thing on your mind is (quite rightly) 'I really ought to log out or stop my auto-forging trigger'.  You'll just get away from the keyboard and not think about it again until you come back and get your rustle on.  The 'don't auto' ruling takes all of these excuses off the table; the mere fact that you were doing it is what's being punished, not your intention to make gold/experience whilst AFK.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • edited October 2012
    If you want to err on the side of caution, then "fully automated except for (recasting/starting a new item/some other small concession)" isn't good enough. If the admin send you a tell or otherwise test you during the automated part, you can get punished before you get to the unautomated part. Especially for something like fishing, where you can go quite a while without recasting. The only way to be safe is to never have any part of the automation running while you're AFK.

If Salik is right, and people are getting punished now for full automation even if they're paying attention and responsive, then that's a problem. In that case, the only way to fully comply with the rules is to keep your fishing/forging/milking/etc. entirely manual (Edit: Or have a time limit on your automation, so it only runs for a couple minutes max (or whatever threshold the admin recommend) without player input).

Sylvance said:
    In all seriousness, the problem is that if your house catches fire/your kid suddenly has a night terror/daddy gets home and he's been drinkin', then the last thing on your mind is (quite rightly) 'I really ought to log out or stop my auto-forging trigger'.  You'll just get away from the keyboard and not think about it again until you come back and get your rustle on.
    This is what "leave one small part unautomated" is to protect against. As I said, it doesn't leave you entirely safe, but it greatly reduces the risk by making sure the automation doesn't continue indefinitely. But actually requiring this as part of the rules, separately from being AFK, is a very bad idea.
  • What's so hot about BM hunting? I don't seem to take more or less damage than other alts, and the weak hits detract from the speed (11-14 hits on a single Azdun wight gets old quick). Granted, I don't have Nimble so I'm slashing at about 2-2.2s in Thyr, but still. I dont see what all the fuss is about. Does its greatness come from crits later on like a monk?
  • Blademaster bashing is overrated, in my opinion. It's above average, but not amazing.
  • Artied BM bashing is -amazing-. Mir means you can tank anything, and drawslash isn't that far behind staffcast in terms of mob damage. No idea what it's like for you peasants, though.

• I'm slowly becoming convinced that serpent is one of the better hunting classes, if only because it allows you to phase through certain nasty places to good and rarely-hunted bashing spots. Only bad thing is that single slow attacks are more boring than many fast attacks with the same DPS, and not only because of crits.