House/City Recommendations For Unaligned Serpent

Kayy, so, I dont have a house or a city yet, and talking to people ic isn't doing so much to convince me.
Wanna give me some opinions? I will take them into account with my personal desires, and goals of course, and It'd be a major help!

I wanna learn combat sometime, and i'm "slightly" interested in theft. I wanna be free to do what I want, and not totally bogged down, and I want a good sense of community. ((active options please))

so, spit some choices

^.~

Comments

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Ashtan. They've got @Strata, if you want combat, and @Cathy for purelolz and girlyness. The end. GG.
  • Daslin said:

Ashtan. They've got @Strata, if you want combat, and @Cathy for purelolz and girlyness. The end. GG.

girl, and violent? :) may just do that, and thank you for your suggestion

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Yeah I think I'm with Daslin with this one. If you don't want to take yourself too seriously and still experience a proper Serp house environment, you're probably better off with the Shadowsnakes in Ashtan or just Ashtan in general.

I'm not saying this cause I got totally enchanted by Cathy the last time I saw her >_> (marry me pls)

*runs from Jurixe*

• edited December 2013
    The Naga in Mhaldor can teach you both combat and theft to certain degrees. Mhaldor/Evil has a great sense of community, but I'm not sure what you mean free to do what you want. If you mean you do not want obligations to fight or roleplay, Ashtan (Shadowsnakes), Hashan (Serpentlords) or Cyrene (Mojushai) are your best options.

Also why is this in Rants?
  • The Naga in Mhaldor can teach you both combat and theft to certain degrees. Mhaldor/Evil has a great sense of community, but I'm not sure what you mean free to do what you want. If you mean you do not want obligations to fight or roleplay, Ashtan (Shadowsnakes), Hashan (Serpentlords) or Cyrene (Mojushai) are your best options.

never used the forums before....erm, not sure *shrug* thought it was a safer bet than other places

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited December 2013
    I'd really suggest not listening to whatever people say on forums. If the people you are talking to are not being convincing IC, then just talk with other people from their same faction, or take the opportunity to explore others. Here, people will just color themselves as pure gold while coloring everyone else as pure sh[]t.

At least IC you actually get a sense of just what you are walking into.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    @Shirszae How dares you!? I was actually being proper and non-biased for once. I sad at you.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Daslin said:

@Shirszae How dares you!? I was actually being proper and non-biased for once. I sad at you.

You know, I did not mention you whatsoever, nor was I really thinking about you.
    But as we say here, if the hat fits...

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Joined ashtan! thank you all for your advice, and for taking the time to join my discussion.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    @Skye you break my heart. WE'RE THROUGH. </3
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    :( but bby ily :(

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Jurixe said:

@Skye you break my heart. WE'RE THROUGH. </3</p>

4/10 needs more rage
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    edited December 2013
    C-nuts

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • @Clara: Glad to have you! Whee!

@Daslin: "Purelolz" - Thanks, I guess? :P

@Skye: @Strata might not agree.... but then again, maybe he would :D<3
    Achieved dragon on the 13th of Aeguary, 634 - aged 21 and 1 month and 21 days.

Elder dragon on the 6th of Chronos 635 - aged 22 and 8 months and 14 days.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp

The Naga in Mhaldor can teach you both combat and theft to certain degrees. Mhaldor/Evil has a great sense of community, but I'm not sure what you mean free to do what you want. If you mean you do not want obligations to fight or roleplay, Ashtan (Shadowsnakes), Hashan (Serpentlords) or Cyrene (Mojushai) are your best options.

Not sure why some people disagree/WTF this. Ashtan/Hashan/Cyrene serpent houses (and non-serpent houses) all have varying degrees of obligation. Whereas my understanding of Mhaldorian houses: You are obligated to act in a certain manner or you get punished/cast out. This is not Florentino saying Naga are better at [insert XYZ thing that Ashtan may or may not do, that Hashan ... nevermind, they don't exist, and Cyrene does only if there's tea involved].
  • Strata said:

Cyrene does only if there's tea involved.

Cultural clarification: Normally it's rum or sweets depending on the individual, but Cyrenian Serpents are actually monks, thus making tea the most appropriate thing in this case.
  • I'm a bit sad to see that the young serpent's choice has already been made. However, if I was to disagree with @Florentino, it is simply for a matter of approach. Kudos to him for a relatively unbiased comment, but what he's peddling is basically the basic premisce of a House. On this point, Clara will be as well served to join Ashtan, Mhaldor, Hashan or Cyrene, so long as she goes into a Serpent House.

I know I'm preaching in the desert on that point, but here is what I would have recommended you: 1) Find an alignment. In essence, all Serpent houses are pretty much the same (heck, most of them are splinters of another), but their -feel- is different.

Want to lose yourself in the pursuit of occult knowledge, join the chaos-tainted Shadowsnakes of Ashtan.
    Want to belong to the quintessential serpent house, the one with the longest history and deepest ties with Darkness and deceit, join the shadow-shrouded Serpentlords of Hashan.
    Want to pursue the strength and empowering glee of assassination, join the ruthless Naga of Mhaldor.
    Want to fight for the underdog, be the anti-hero who threads on the fine line between Light and Darkness to protect the innocents and save the world, then join Targossas. We no longer have houses, since the Dawnstriders have died, but we have a place for serpents, and I'm more than willing to teach any young serpent that comes my way.
    Want to erm... be neutral, just have fun, and be in a house who accepts serpents but isn't a serpent house: Join the Mojushai of Cyrene, CIJ of Delos or Sentinels of Eleusis.

• I think that's a bit off. Sentinels are not neutral. Nature is a fierce faction with regular ritual and combat duties more comparable to Mhaldor, Chaos-Ashtan and Targossas. On the other hand, the Serpentlords may have nominal ties to Darkness but the whole Dark faction is pretty weak/non-existent at the moment and it isn't even clear to the casual observer that the identity of Darkness really extends to Hashan. Hashan certainly does not enforce expectations of certain behavior or duties in regards to its citizens. It is more neutral than anything, like a Cyrene counterpart (except just as Cyrene is hated/targeted by Ashtan and has some minor conflict, Hashan is hated/targeted by Targossas and has some minor conflict).

(Incoming WTFs from Vayne et al, take cover)
  • edited December 2013
    Cyrene isn't really a great place if you want to be totally "free to do what you want". Sure, there aren't that many obligatory activities, but what you can do and cannot do will still be quite a bit restricted by its laws and the ethos of whatever house you join (i.e. Mojushai, in this case). Theft is pretty much out of the question and combat isn't taken as lightly as in some other cities/houses, so you can't just attack people for fun (even thought you can definitely get into combat, as long as you adhere to certain principles).

On another note though: to claim that particular cities have great obligations to roleplay or fight isn't really entirely true. There are numerous people in any city who don't roleplay or fight at all, and they manage to get by without being cast out.
  • @Florentino -> Thanks for the precisions! To be honest, the only serpent factions I really felt had any flavour were the Naga and the Dawnstriders. I'm slowly getting to understand a bit more the intricacies of the Shadowsnakes. Serpentlords are lost to me, though, hence my previous misconception.

Not wanting to provoke Eleusis, though, but I've always considered them as neutral as Cyrene, but what you're saying makes lots of sense. Hashan is pretty neutral, and the only city that'd kick you out is Targossas, and probably Mhaldor too.

• *whistle* thank you all for the insightful comments! Still gonna make a go of it with ashtan, but this game me a good bit to think about
  • Yah, don't think anybody is criticizing your decision to join Ashtan. I agree that it may be your best choice, according to your OP. I think we're mostly just continuing to discuss it for the sake of completeness of sorts.