Jester or Monk?

Hi. I have a new Horkval Jester character. He is cityless, houseless, and otherwise independent. Here is the thing: I will only be able to be awake 0-3 hours / week (IRL time). I do not want to bash if possible (maybe 30 minutes max out of that 3 hours). I like exploring, reading the room descriptions, and questing.

I'll make the decision, and I like the classes equally. But I would appreciate any thoughts you have. Would a Monk save me enough time bashing to be worth the change?

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Yes but no. 30 minutes isn't a huge amount of bashing but this opinion has been diluted by the fact the people who talk about bashing bash for 19 hours a day at a time.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • edited December 2013
    If you like exploring and questing, keep in mind Monk has no (decent) travel. Jester with universe and hermit will prove much more useful.

As for 'saving you time' bashing. Honestly, 30 minutes a week or six hours a day, the 'ratio' would be the same. That said, I don't see it being a huge part of it, no. I've found myself able to bash easily enough regardless of class.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • No.

Universe as a Jester (lets you jump around areas quickly), puppet travel, and hermit will save you more time exploring/questing than you will save from the faster bashing time as a monk, if you truly will only bash 30 minutes a week.

• edited December 2013
    Thank you all so much.

I plan on staying Jester. What about gold: What kind of profit should I expect from questing and barely bashing? My costs are 500g for a blackjack ~1 per month, cards (~300g a week) food, clothes (sometimes pricey), sometimes tattoos, containers, and vials . . .
  • NimNim
    edited December 2013
    Brio said:

Thank you all so much.

I plan on staying Jester. What about gold: What kind of profit should I expect from questing and barely bashing? My costs are 500g for a blackjack ~1 per month, cards (~300g a week) food, clothes (sometimes pricey), sometimes tattoos, containers, and vials . . .

Profit is more or less tied to player knowledge, and more limited by level than class. I'm level 80, so I'm not especially limited in that regard, but I'm still nowhere near the most knowledgeable player, and I could still routinely afford all that plus city credits with about thirty minutes of bashing/questing a day.
  • Questing can be very lucrative. Bashing at lower levels is not. Considering you plan to explore - figure quests out, get a list of lucrative ones, and that will be more than enough income. I can make 10k in ~15 minutes doing quests that involve no killing and little time, assuming none of the ones I'm thinking of are done.

That would be more than enough to sustain you. I would go light on the cards until you figure out said quests. Food is nothing, clothes can be cheap (stick with cheap, again, until you figure out said quests!) Containers cost nothing. Vials, stick with the minimum and figure out said quests! Blackjack is essential to kill things, so no choice there.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • You'll have access to better and more lucrative quests if you're a bit higher-level and can tank slightly more dangerous things. Not to mention, you'll be able to explore more, too. So it's worth doing at least a little bit of it from time to time in order to advance in other ways. Bashing can (kind of) (sometimes) be (a little) entertaining though, particularly if you go with a group and have some interaction.
  • I actually found group hunting to be an enormous chore. I am a fan of solo hunting, it's like meditation to me.
    Achieved dragon on the 13th of Aeguary, 634 - aged 21 and 1 month and 21 days.

Elder dragon on the 6th of Chronos 635 - aged 22 and 8 months and 14 days.
  • monk bashing is totally wicked at the beginning, though around lvl 50, they leave a bit to be desired, if you dont have transed tekura and at least regen in kaido ((my opinion)) personally, I found much more enjoyment in jesters, for both the utility of tarot, and pranks. Bop them to death :) i'd say go jester, since you donnt really care to bash much. they're more fun in an rp sense. ((also, an opinion, but meh))
  • Clara said:

monk bashing is totally wicked at the beginning, though around lvl 50, they leave a bit to be desired, if you dont have transed tekura and at least regen in kaido ((my opinion)) personally, I found much more enjoyment in jesters, for both the utility of tarot, and pranks. Bop them to death :) i'd say go jester, since you donnt really care to bash much. they're more fun in an rp sense. ((also, an opinion, but meh))

I never used regen in Kaido, the will drain from it was too much for me to rationalise. Then again, I was burning down from full will every hour and a half :D
    Achieved dragon on the 13th of Aeguary, 634 - aged 21 and 1 month and 21 days.

Elder dragon on the 6th of Chronos 635 - aged 22 and 8 months and 14 days.