Made Some Archery Stuff, Evidently People Like It.

KenwayKenway San Francisco
So one of the first things I did on gaining darkbows in Chivalry was figure out a way to make shooting easier, I think most people do this but I found my House's help scrolls on it kind of lacking in what I wanted. So I made my own. I love how it turned out and since I've started sending people script packages (mainly custom prompt tag additions to Svo) people have been telling me they really like it. Most recently @Wessux questioned why I wasn't charging 10cr a pop for it. So I thought I'd post a little here about what it does. Not sure if this goes in the Arena or Scripting so I just went with Arena. Huge shout outs to @Maethros (though I'm pretty sure he's dormant now) and @Grinidon for being my pincushions through what I'm pretty sure was several thousand arrows worth of testing. Hope you all like what you see and if you want it, it works for serpent and I have a version that works on Omni as well.

It uses three different keybindings, the first, will locate the target, aim, and shoot them. The second just aims and shoots in that direction (taking away the time it takes to locate them which is only about a second but still.) And the third, which says "Screw you aiming, I'm a man and I don't need you!" and randomly flings arrows in their general direction at a slightly faster rate, but also allowing you to keep up defenses like breathing or shield while you do it.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

"But what if they move?!"(or in the case shown below, you move) You may ask. Never fear, 'cause this happens. At which point you just try the location shot again and if you still can't find them, they've turned a corner! And for those of you who care, I did in fact just notice the lack of space in the not in line of sight echo and it is now fixed!
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

You may notice the echo is coloured, that's 'cause I'm using blue arrows! When I switch colours, the head and fletchings switch with me! This is my using undyed arrows and automatically calling a direction to the party. If anyone else in said party had this script and was targeting Wessux, they'd now be able to skip the locating key and just start shooting him right off the bat! Science!
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Me shooting without aiming. The rebounding is just showing that breath can be pretty readily kept up since I have breathing gagged.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I should add that if they leave your room in any direction, including flying, you will also, not have to locate them and can just start shooting provided you have your bow out.

That's it! Tell me what you think! Any ideas for additions are totally welcome. If you want the package, lemme know! Hope you enjoyed!

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
"Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten

Comments

• KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Also that, yes.

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Not bad. If I still used bows, I'd steal it from you in the middle of the night at knifepoint.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    *relief* this wasn't serp-style gmcp snipe code w/party tells released to the masses for free.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Just out of curosity what's the perks from using a system like this over just trying to shoot them in every direction possible? Other than that time I got a 5-10 second lag and held my sht alias down so hard mudlet went into binary.

edited December 2013
    1. It's pretty.

2. The lag thing.

3. At least when I try it, attempting to shoot in every direction pulls out an arrow for every direction before you shoot.

4. Balance time when shooting the target, giving them less time to heal/cure affs. (mainly this)

5. At least for me, the colours echoing really help because I do forget what the hell I'm shooting with. (and this)

6. Because.

I should add, this won't work for bow users who don't  have the AIM command.

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Ah that makes alot more since, I forgot aiming existed.

• Main reason for not shooting in every direction with aim is the willpower drain from aiming, which can be quite substantial.

The arrows thing isn't actually the case, from my experience. Yes, you get a message of you pulling out an arrow, but it's being put right back into your quiver if there's no target in that direction.

The way I would go about it is to first shoot once in every direction without aiming, at least if you're a serpent. This should tell you the direction of the opponent, your system should remember that and from then on only shoot in that direction with aiming, until you get a message of your target no longer being in that direction, which would reset your system's "archery direction" and use an all-around shot again for the next one. That way, you don't lose any time at all for locating your target before the first shot, only use moderate amounts of willpower, and will generally maximise your shooting speed.

This is basically what my own archery system does, except that I usually -do- aim for the first shot, since I never wait for the aim success message before shooting anyways. This works for me due to my internet connection, but wouldn't work so well for people with a better ping.
  • edited December 2013
    Aiming is still very helpful for serpents when walls come into play, so I don't completely disregard it, especially if I have enough willpower to spare (I always turn off aiming when wp gets low).

But yeah, quiver/arrow-handling seems really buggy in many ways, and the arrows-ending-up-in-your-inventory thing does happen under some circumstances, which are barely reproducible. It's super weird. Not aiming at all can certainly reduce some headache.

(The time thing is no downside for me, since, as I mentioned, I never wait between aiming and shooting anyways.)
  • edited January 2014
    funny, every time there is a raid and i use my bow afterwards i end up with arrows in my inventory, the 'bug' seems to be from aim 'knocking an arrow into the bow' but not having a target. could also be that i dont ever wait for the confirmation msg from aiming before shooting because once apon a time Tecton and/or Clem said that if you have snipe you dont have to wait for aiming. who knows now tho, so many ninja changes over time could have changed that snipe vs aim relationship.
  • I miss being jester cause I'd be holding tons of arrows after every fight.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
    Just to be clear since people keep asking, I'm not actually charging anything for this! I was gonna but I kinda just like that it sees use so if you like it, I'd love it if you threw a few credits my way since I'm an idiot and class changed twice in the past month while trying to save for a ship. But if not, that's totally cool too! Just want to make bows less frustrating for people.

edited January 2015
    After these changes, this is a lot less needed. That said:
    For those of you who may or may not have yet noticed that the archery changes trashed this system, I fixed it, have a thing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3syle9ymvrc8wr7/KS Archery.zip?dl=0

As always, message me with bugs or things you need help on or things you'd like added. I'll post here if I update it.

EDIT: @Tecton can this get moved to the scripts section in tech support?

• Do you need SVO for this to work?

Amarillys said:
    Do you need SVO for this to work?
    Nope! Should work with everything so long as you're on Mudlet.

Also, thanks to these latest changes, there's now no need to pause your system at any point.

• Kenway said:
    Also, thanks to these latest changes, there's now no need to pause your system at any point.
    Are any changes needed for the new change or does it work seamlessly with it? 'Cuz it looks amazing. ^_^

Just made some update. Thanks @Wessux for all the help and thanks everyone else who was a pincushion.
    You can update/download here!

Amarillys said:
    Kenway said:
    Are any changes needed for the new change or does it work seamlessly with it? 'Cuz it looks amazing. ^_^
    No it's all up to date now.

• Okay, I got it and I -think- it looks beautiful and amazing and everything but how does it do?

Alt3 shoots 'em without looking[~4s balance], or, if they've left your room it takes that direction and shoots there.[~3.5s balance]

Alt2 aims in the direction they've left (just gives you more accuracy if you want it) and you'll shoot them there.

AIM <direction> manually sets the direction you're shooting and also pops an arrow in them.

SWITCH <colour> still just changes arrow colour (and will change the colour of the echoes) but also sets the venom variable which you will call out over party or army if raidmode == true it occurs to me I didn't actually set a toggle for this variable since it's a personal one that's tied into many of my other scripts but it should be easy enough to change or to set up for yourself.

^raid\s*(on|off)$
    ---------------
    if matches[2] == "on" then
    raidmode = true
    cecho("<yellow>/////// Raidmode : <green> ON <yellow>///////")
    elseif matches[2] == "off" then
    raidmode = nil
    cecho("<yellow>/////// Raidmode : <red> OFF <yellow>///////")
    end

^^^ Or use this if you're lazy ^^^

There's also a trigger in there that will wield your melee weapons if the target is too close to shoot for instance if they've evaded in. That'll need setting to what weapons you use 'cause right now it's probably on buckler/longsword.

Currently serpents have to manually enable the snipe versions of the trigger and keys but I'm working on figuring out GMCP so that won't be an issue soon I hope.

If you've got further questions or ideas for features, ask away.