Starbound

Comments

• Daklore said:
    But then it sends me back to my initial landing point, and then I've lost where I was D:
    I think I found a mini-boss in my travels. Hints of it being the fact that it was big, took a tonne of damage to kill, and dropped this huge ass club.

The fact that the topography kept it from charing at me helped, but here's what I got out of it:

THE THING SHOOTS A SHOCKWAVE WHEN I SWING IT OMG O_O

Edit: and now that the shockwave novelty has worn off... it's actually worse than my sword. !_! I mean, it beats it in overall damage... but I can kill better with the sword. And the shockwave damages the terrain... it's really good for tunneling through dirt, way faster than a pick!
    Ahhh I'm so jealous! By the way, if you wiki it, the moon requires extra protection or else your life gets sapped. That's why I tend to stick to arid or forest biomes. I did snow too, but I had to juggle two campfires so that I wouldn't freeze to death.

(Plop one down, mine until out of range, put down second, go back for first, repeat)
    Commissions- Base pay is 15cr/hour of work. See THIS for commission FAQ.
    The current commission queue is 5. Estimated delay in new commissions is > one week.
    There is currently a freeze on commissions. No new requests are being taken at this time, and current pieces are delayed. See sketchbook thread for details.

• edited December 2013
    I think it's a moon, only because of its size related to the nearest world or whatever from my spaceship. But it's where I initially set down, so...

Edit: The bigger world is a snow world, it looks like. I didn't know if I could go there without fuel or not, so I never tried. XD
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • Anyone feel like trading this to me on Steam? I have games to trade that include:

the Alan Wake franchise (Alan Wake + Collector's Edition Extras, Alan Wake's American Nightmare)
    TES3 Morrowind: GOTY Edition
    The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution + Missing Link DLC
    Half-Life 2
    Sleeping Dogs
    Super Monday Night Combat
    Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Tag me in a post if you want to trade, or poke me on steam - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198052271720/

• I finally circumnavigated my planet. Found a Floran town, got a dash tech, went and made my distress beacon like the quest said and WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING? OH GOD, I'M NOT PREPARED. Y CHUCKLEFISH Y?!

... yeaaaaah... that was not what I was expecting at all. XD
  • Trey said:
    Anyone feel like trading this to me on Steam? I have games to trade that include:

the Alan Wake franchise (Alan Wake + Collector's Edition Extras, Alan Wake's American Nightmare)
    TES3 Morrowind: GOTY Edition
    The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution + Missing Link DLC
    Half-Life 2
    Sleeping Dogs
    Super Monday Night Combat
    Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Tag me in a post if you want to trade, or poke me on steam - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198052271720/
    Got it! Thanks, dude!

• Daklore said:
    I finally circumnavigated my planet. Found a Floran town, got a dash tech, went and made my distress beacon like the quest said and WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING? OH GOD, I'M NOT PREPARED. Y CHUCKLEFISH Y?!

... yeaaaaah... that was not what I was expecting at all. XD
    Yepp. I totally died to that too. I've gone around 4 planets now. Found:
    -Mayan/Avian ruins
    -Glitch Village
    -Apex City
    -Pirate Ship
    -Prison
    -Mad Scientist Lab
    -Floran nomads

Also, I got to the core! That was cool, but it was on a tiny planet.
    The current commission queue is 5. Estimated delay in new commissions is > one week.
    There is currently a freeze on commissions. No new requests are being taken at this time, and current pieces are delayed. See sketchbook thread for details.

• Sounds like I'ma have to get this game when my internet connection stops being a dick

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    found this on a random snow planet : image
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• edited December 2013
    I'm still trying to get fuel for/fix my ship. D:

Which means crafting silver armour... well, my overprepare for playstyle says crafting silver armour.

But silver eluuuuuuudes me. Silver, wry you so hard to find? So much copper and iron, though.
  • Daklore said:
    I'm still trying to get fuel for/fix my ship. D:

Ships are fuelled by coal or wood.  You can go to different planets right away if you want to!

Also, I hate you all who found techs already.  I have not found a single one and I've gone through like 50 planets! D:
    i had two Apex buildings on the first planet I visitted, two Energy Dash techs, woot.
    also, @Daklore, ignore silver armour, make the Yarn Spinner, farm leather, and make the Snow Infantry armour, better than silver, and keeps you warm on ice planets even if it's night to boot

• I didn't know the yarn spinner did anything useful ... to me at this point. Noted. I need warms.
    save up your gold bars though, you'll want to instantly make the jump to gold armour and its upgrade when you can

• So, this is like Terraria, but with space travel? How does it differ?
    right now it's in beta, so it's hard to give definitive answers, but on this one, you're not bound to the rule "One world", you can literally destroy your starting planet, move to a next one, etc, all without having to generate a new world everytime, so in that respect I find it a step up. Also the enemies are actually brutal for a change

• Ughhh that first boss battle was sooooooo boring and long. 

Right now I'm burning all my fuel exploring because of the player wipe coming up. I'm looking forward to restarting with the new armour changes.

the change is definately required, I'm at the stage where I need Titanium armour, which needs Platinum to craft.. (threat level 21-30 worlds) but platinum is bugged and only spawns on TL 40 >.>

• Yeah, early beta so they don't have much attention on the third tier yet.  There's 10 tiers planned in total for release, though, so you can bet they'll be getting a lot of love soon enough!

In the meantime I'm exploring surfaces looking for cool stuff.  I finally found my first tech, and it is AWESOME.  It's this gravity bubble that lets me fly, sort of  like Terraria wings.  So cool.
    I had a bit of spare time on my hands and made this : 

@Wilhelmina you can also select from six races, each with their unique spaceship, which you can see here : image

• I too have just been surface hopping. Forget pixels, I'm just looking for treasure boxes. @Penwize, what did you find your tech in? A normal treasure chest, a dungeon, etc?

• All the techs I've found so far show up in green high-tech chests, just dotted randomly on the landscape.  Some people have found them in chests in labs and such too form what I've seen, but I haven't been so lucky!
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Still playing Terraria. In fact, I was playing Terraria when my friend got on Steam and yelled STARBOUND at me before playing it himself >_>

I figure I'll wait it out till Christmas sales before picking this up, I still have a bunch of games off my Black Friday binge that I haven't tried yet.

• So I'm the smart one who activated the distress beacon at my spawn point on the planet with absolutely no armor built yet. GG Starbound. I just lost a ton of pixels and keep dying immediately on spawn. 

• Trey said:
    So I'm the smart one who activated the distress beacon at my spawn point on the planet with absolutely no armor built yet. GG Starbound. I just lost a ton of pixels and keep dying immediately on spawn. 
    Go to a different planet, stock up and come back for revenge!
  • Penwize said:

Trey said:
    So I'm the smart one who activated the distress beacon at my spawn point on the planet with absolutely no armor built yet. GG Starbound. I just lost a ton of pixels and keep dying immediately on spawn. 
    Go to a different planet, stock up and come back for revenge!
    Join a random multiplayer server and just mine your ass off for resources.

• Picked up the Beta, died to the Distress beacon twice, round 3 I played cheap as hell and won!

First planet visited, a moon, no tree, ran out of torches...damn. Mined enough coal to go to a threat 11 planet, and was able to fight things as long as they didn't 1 shot me. Reward?

Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• @Penwize, gtfo my single player

• You found a monument to my glory!
  • Been playing a lot of this. Then I beat the first boss, who smashed my house and had his minions destroy my storage, only to have the item he drops vanish before I could get to it.

A little frustrating to say the least.

At least I got an axe named Poop Wobbler out of a sewer dungeon that had little smiley poop monsters and giant poop monsters.

Man, game designers love poop.