Knight Duality for Novices

With the somewhat recent changes made to elementalism to allow firelash at a much lower rank, would it be reasonable to place duality a bit lower in the chivalry tree, so novices can get it before becoming journeymen in their class? I could be mistaken, but I believe that you can't get duality until after you've become a journeyman.

Hyena for example, is 134 lessons into metamorphosis, which is halfway between adept and skilled. This is somewhere around where I was thinking duality might be.

Comments

• Last I checked, Duality doesn't come till after Skilled. Much less of a problem with Journeyman being easier to get, as you can still reasonably slash your way to level 20. Don't see a problem with moving it down to less than skilled, though.
  • Agreed: Novice Knight is second only to novice Serpent in terms of tedium.

• DSLing with shortswords as a newbie wouldn't be overpowered at all, but this has been denied multiple times in the past.

• DSL? Neah. Give them gauntlets and a skill that makes it like stonefist but better. Knightpunch ftw?

That said, I don't see why not. Newbie shortsword DSL sounds fine to me.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • I agree. Newbie knight bashing is horrible, and will still be mediocre with DSL.

A new newbie bashing attack that uses a single shortsword might be better though. Less cost (even if shortswords are cheap), and allows the use of a shield, and can be balanced for newbies independently of DSL (better and more accurate than DSL for newbies, worse than DSL later on).
  • Sena said:
    I agree. Newbie knight bashing is horrible, and will still be mediocre with DSL.

A new newbie bashing attack that uses a single shortsword might be better though. Less cost (even if shortswords are cheap), and allows the use of a shield, and can be balanced for newbies independently of DSL (better and more accurate than DSL for newbies, worse than DSL later on).
    Bashslash! Smack them away with the shield and slash them with the sword while they're dazed!
    Achieved dragon on the 13th of Aeguary, 634 - aged 21 and 1 month and 21 days.

Elder dragon on the 6th of Chronos 635 - aged 22 and 8 months and 14 days.
  • Newbie bashing is something that should definitely -not- be tedious, though I don't necessarily think it should be super fast. Nothing more discouraging than grinding through 15 levels as a runie and someone telling you you need to get 65 more as a minimum for PVP.
  • Sena said:
    I agree. Newbie knight bashing is horrible, and will still be mediocre with DSL.

Isn't this basically swordplay?
  • Kafziel said:
    Massively buffing swordplay could work, but as it is, it's only a 40% damage boost on an attack with horrible damage, and even with a good shortsword it still misses a lot.
  • Agree with the idea. Novices already have it rough with having to work with incredibly slow shortswords AND a relatively low level of Chivalry/Weaponry. Just let them have their Duality at, say...Adept. 

• Kafziel said:
    Sena said:

Swordplay was a quick bandage fix. You're still looking at two hits on a pixie unless you managed to dig up a 90+ damage shortsword, and if you pulled a 90+ damage shortsword, odds are pretty good that you ended up with one with, like, 120 speed, so you're looking at at least five seconds of balance.

• I've brought this up in the past years ago and had it denied, I brought it up at least once (possibly twice) in the last round of Classleads and nothing happened. They should just scrap Swordplay and allow Duality to be learnt sooner, but I'm not holding out much hope that it will happen soon.
  • Infernal novices use swords? Decay decay
  • Arador said:
    You kids and your swordplay. In my day we punched pixies and slept instead of sipping health and by Sartan, we liked it!
    Didn't even have headslam!
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Or a quest system with hints!

• FenFen Snappy Snappy, Takey Takey
    Arador said:
    And had to walk to Lodi all the way in the snow without an automapper both ways!
    And got locked in time while Romeo yelled at us to namechange. Not this "Please NAMECHANGE at your earliest convenience, thanks, have a great day" prompt!
  • Ah the good old days. Decay decay .. meditate .. 1 minute later .. decay decay .. meditate .. 1 minute later .. decay decay

Infernal Knights had it going for them. Runie Knights had to kick or punch. I don't know about Pally Knights. I think they had to kick or punch too.
  • edited December 2013
    Saavant said:
    Ah the good old days. Decay decay .. meditate .. 1 minute later .. decay decay .. meditate .. 1 minute later .. decay decay

Infernal Knights had it going for them. Runie Knights had to kick or punch. I don't know about Pally Knights. I think they had to kick or punch too.
    Bladefire had it right. Newbie sword with 355 to-hit. (I want to say 355? been way too long)
  • Infernal's didn't have decay, pre-autoclass chivalry/forging was primary skills of all 3 knight classes, and third skill was defining necro/runes/devo. So all 3 had to punch/kick, duality was at skilled so kicking/punching was done up to level 10, then there was a time for shortsword begging, ratting/butterfly catching and buying shortswords, and then grinding on...

I agree to duality at adept or thereabouts in chivalry.
  • What are you on about? Before autoclass you got all three class skills the moment you picked your class, so novice Infernals definitely did have Decay if they spent the tiny amount of lessons required to get it.
  • Not while they were novices in guild. At novice there was only chivalry/forging up to fabled. Only after novice interview was one granted third class skill.
  • Pre-autoclass, novices could learn up to just before skilled, not fabled.
  • edited December 2013
    I'd be for DSL at Adept or about too if I want to start up a newbie knight.

Added:

I remember that before autoclass came to Achaea, novice knights got all three class skillsets, but they had to reach GR3 or higher in order to keep their skills if they were to leave. Nowadays, novice knights got Chivalry and either Runelore/Necromancy/(Not sure what the Pally version is). Forging came after the class is fully embraced.
  • We had decay, the mana cost was just too high to really bah with it as a true newbie. Also back then we had to learn a ton of weaponry before we could hit anything.

• I tried to find an official source (or at least a forum post) showing that pre-autoclass knights started out with chivalry and forging and only got necromancy/devotion/runelore after novicehood, but the best I could do was show that novices did start out with 2 skills, not 3. From here: "You will have access to two of the three skills special to that class. Upon promotion from your novicehood, you will gain the third special class-related skill and become an apprentice to the class."

I can say for certain that runewardens only got runelore after novicehood, but that was the only knight class I played pre-autoclass, so paladin/infernal might have already had forging as their third skill before autoclass.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Forging was after novicehood I think, because it was essentially useless to a novice.

I remember Runewarden novitiate orientations including the lessons spent but beyond chivalry, weaponry, and some survival, I just don't recall. I would have thought runelore though.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."