What's cooking?

Comments

• OuraniaOurania The Garden of the Gods
    Yeah, I use a cob and I layer it with grilled steak, mushrooms, cheese, grilled peppers, etc. Weight it down and leave it in the fridge over night. It is rather amazing.

• @Teghaine said:
    We have cornmeal, I made corn dogs once. I have to say, they tasted like angels. 
    I want to eat an angel now... What do they taste like? I'd imagine sort of like a mixture between popcorn and marshmallows... Tasty, but not exceptionally filling.
    They taste a little bloody:
    warning this will hit you right in the feels
    [spoiler]image[/spoiler]
  • TeghaineTeghaine Cape Town - South Africa - Africa (thatcontinentthatlookslikesouthamerica)
    Yum...
  • TeghaineTeghaine Cape Town - South Africa - Africa (thatcontinentthatlookslikesouthamerica)
    Teghaine said:
    Here there is a saying in Afrikaans, which is: dis soos n' engel het op my tong gepipi. This roughly translates to: it's like an angel was on my tongue, and... Uhm... :-/ excreted liquid there :-\" It's meant to be a huge compliment... I don't understand it though. Afrikaans expressions are weird like that... There's another about a man and an umbrella... Anyway, back to the topic Quite a simple dish, I think it's a traditional thing, though I'm not sure. We call it a Bunnie Chow You basically cut a loaf of bread in half and hollow them out. Keep the insides Any curry will do, I used a mutton curry with various spices, potato cubes etc. Scoop the curry into the hollow half loaves, and eat with your fingers. As you eat more of the curry, you tear off the top if the bead crust-shell-thing to scoop up the insides.
    Teghaine said:
    Still different... I'll have to find pictures somewhere... Cursed phone doesn't let me upload any here
    grabbed off the internets 'cause my phone sucks
    @Wysteria said:

We call it Cob Loaf here. Good for picnics. Basically:

• Get a BIG round cob loaf
    • Cut off top and hollow out
    • Fill the inside with (common here) spinach and fetta cheese dip mixed with caramelised capsicum and herbs
    • Lightly toast the spare pieces of bread and decorate around the sides of the loaf
    • Put the top back on for presentation
    • Take to picnic and eat.
    Anything like the picture of the Bunnie chow?
  • OuraniaOurania The Garden of the Gods
    This is more like what I do. (Picture blatantly stolen from the internet).

• I wish my grandmother still remembered anything.
  • My family's easy Turkey:
    1 Turkey
    1-2 cans of frozen concentrated orange juice.

brine turkey - cleaned out-  in salt water (I had started that yesterday around lunch time), rinse, put turkey in pan, shove the orange juice inside, put another can on top if you want (I'm going to season with season salt and pepper)
    bake
    ??
    profit.

Will post pictures when completed, if I remember.
    meh

• I have to add, the meat practically fell off the bone. I only needed my meat scissors and a spoon because it was still hot.
    meh

• Trilliana said:
    I have to add, the meat practically fell off the bone. I only needed my meat scissors and a spoon because it was still hot.
    I was the executive  chef at a place where we smoked all of our meats and you would be surprised by how many people were pissed because the meat feel off the bone. I obviously wasnt one of them but apparently some people like to gnaw on a bone like cavemen.
  • I meant to take a picture of this before half of it got devoured. My wife's family didn't believe I made it either. However, these were TASTY sweet potatoes. Most frequent comment made was, "Are you sure this isn't sweet potato pie?"

As for the recipe:

Ingredients

4 whole Medium Sweet Potatoes
    1 cup Sugar
    1 cup Milk
    2 whole Eggs
    1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
    1 teaspoon Salt
    1 cup Brown Sugar
    1 cup Pecans
    1/2 cup Flour
    3/4 stick Butter

Preparation Instructions

Wash 4 medium sweet potatoes and bake them in a 375-degree oven until fork tender, about 30-35 minutes. [*I had purchased large sweet potatoes from the Farmer's Market, so I had them in the oven for 2 hours*] When they are finished cooking slice them open and scrape out the flesh into a large bowl. Add 1 cup of (regular grandulated) sugar, 1 cup of milk, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of salt. With a potato masher, mash them up just enough—you don’t want to be perfectly smooth.

Now, in a separate bowl, add 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup pecans, chopped (that means measure a cup of pecans, then chop them),  1/2 cup flour, and 3/4 stick of butter. With a pastry cutter or fork, mash together until thoroughly combined. Spread the sweet potato mixture into a regular baking dish and sprinkle the crumb mixture all over the top. Bake in a 400-degree oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

• That is basically sweet potato pie.

Sounds good.

My family's easy Turkey:
    1 Turkey

brine turkey - cleaned out-  in salt water (I had started that yesterday around lunch time), rinse, put turkey in pan, shove the orange juice inside, put another can on top if you want (I'm going to season with season salt and pepper)
    bake
    ??
    profit.

Never been able to find turkey here before... Recently stayed seeing it though. What would you recommend door a good first time cooking the bird
  • Teghaine said:
    My family's easy Turkey:
    1 Turkey

bake
    ??
    profit.

Never been able to find turkey here before... Recently stayed seeing it though. What would you recommend door a good first time cooking the bird
    Since it was only 3 of us (me, hubs and one kid- would have fed both though) we went with a "small" turkey - about 11 pounds (I can't metric, sorry) and according to a guide online, it was baking at 325F for about 4 hours. The skin wasn't crispy like I like it, but it tasted delicious. Next time I'm going to try putting some butter under the skin to see if that helps the skin and for more flavor.
    meh

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    hmm, you could try patting the top dry with a paper towel to start. Butter under the skin sounds a bit rich.

That said, my mum says we're not ordering a turkey for Christmas this year, but I really really wanted one. So... poor man's turkey sandwich with no turkey. Sandwich bread toasted with mozzarella, spread with strawberry jam to compensate for my lack of cranberry fulfillment and then stuffed with as much roasted chicken breast as I could manage without everything falling out. >_> 

Peppermint crisp chocolate bar
    Hotdog roll
    Microwave

Nuff said.
  • LiancaLianca Fire and Spice
    To get the skin good and crispy, dry it fully with paper towels then salt/season before cooking. Cook long and slow as per weight directions and then last five minutes, drain the juices from the pan, or switch turkey to another pan and pop under broiler (grill for UK folks) it won't be under there long enough to dry out the meat and the skin should crisp up nicely.

This works well for chicken, turkey legs, chicken breasts, thighs etc.

(If you don't drain the fat and juices from the pan, you may set your house on fire.)
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "I want you to know, the Garden reaction to that one is: What?"
    The voice of Melantha, Goddess of the Seasons, echoes amid the rustle of leaves, "That's the censored version."
    Burnt house tastes bad. I wouldn't recommend it
  • I baked these on the weekend:

Rosemary-Almond Multi-Seed Crackers

Ingredients
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    1 cup almond flour or almond meal
    1/4 cup sunflower seed nuts
    1/4 cup pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds
    1 tablespoons poppy seeds

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
    In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg. Stir in the olive oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Add the almond flour and assorted seeds and stir until thoroughly blended.
    Roll dough out with a rolling pin between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll dough as thin as you can get it (about the thickness of the pepitas). Cut using cookie cutters or with a knife. I cut mine into about 1.5-inch squares. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden-brown and crispy.

However, I kinda overcooked them a tad, so no pics.  But they were quite tasty...also, I don't have a rolling pin, so I just flattened them out with my hands.

A little late to the party by @Kyrra regarding kangaroo, it can be like a rich steak, however, it is the type of meat that doesn't lend itself to being cooked well done. So if you do like your meat that way, steer clear because it will be really really tough.  It is probably best suited to medium-medium/well.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    pancakes slathered in peanut butter and maple syrup nom nom

• That's what I should have done tonight, but the kids wanted PB&J
    meh

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    I thought eggnog was amazing to until I woke up the next morning wanting to die.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Kyrra said:

I thought eggnog was amazing to until I woke up the next morning wanting to die.

It's still amazing
  • I have never had eggnog before. I didn't realise what it actually was, which is alcoholic custard that you drink. I made some. It is amazing.
    Homemade eggnog is even more amazing if you have experience with the storebought versions by way of comparison.
This discussion has been closed.