Starbound

Hey everyone!

Now that Starbound Beta is out (mine is still downloading), who would want to try and get together for multiplayer? I'm not sure how it works yet (or what my sn will even be) so I'm putting this thread up to garner interest. If you would like to try and join up, reply here and check back for more info as I get it!
Commissions- Base pay is 15cr/hour of work. See THIS for commission FAQ.
The current commission queue is 5. Estimated delay in new commissions is > one week.
There is currently a freeze on commissions. No new requests are being taken at this time, and current pieces are delayed. See sketchbook thread for details.

Comments

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    steam?
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Yeah, Steam keys are out. The $15 preorder pack is still up, and the humble key you get comes with the Steam key.
    The current commission queue is 5. Estimated delay in new commissions is > one week.
    There is currently a freeze on commissions. No new requests are being taken at this time, and current pieces are delayed. See sketchbook thread for details.

no I mean I got it from steam :P

• Tharvis said:
    no I mean I got it from steam :P
    Oh, er, sorry! Mine's still downloading :( Have you tried out multiplayer yet?

tried, but you seem to need the IP, steam overlay 'join game' doesn't work

also can't figure out how to actually host a game :P

• It keeps crashing for me. When I click on it in steam, it just crashes immediately.  :(

might be because your OS is too old? that's the most reccuring reason

• I'm downloading Mavericks now. Well, time to work on my essays I guess. :(

• If you're running XP, they're working on a fix that should come either tonight or in a day or two according to the forums.
    just prepare for brutal enemies early game

• HOLY SHIT I INSTALLED MAVERICKS AND NOW IT WORKS. 

Going to play single player a bit to get the hang of it and then try to work out multiplayer so we can all play!

• It freezes up on the Chucklefish logo for me, but I'm still running XP so that may be the problem.
  • ...still...running...xp...

• Look, I haven't had cash to upgrade anything on my computer in ages. Why do you think I still play Achaea? :P
  • I LOVE THIS GAME IT IS AMAZING and holy hell I've died a lot.

Sorry XP users, hope the patch comes out soon!

• I died a lot until I stopped and watched the mobs a little.  Combat gets really easy if you treat it more like Dark Souls and less like Terraria.  Game is damn awesome though, there's so much content to soak up, and it's not even all done yet.
  • >_> I'm going to get this when I get my pay.
  • Penwize said:
    I died a lot until I stopped and watched the mobs a little.  Combat gets really easy if you treat it more like Dark Souls and less like Terraria.  Game is damn awesome though, there's so much content to soak up, and it's not even all done yet.
    Combat got way better when I got an awesome weapon. I'm pretty terrible at non-turn based stuff in general though, so I expect more deaths to come.

• I keep dieing in starbound. Enemies yunolike me D:

But still been waiting for this game for like, ever. I like it so far :D

I'm cansama on steam, if anyone figures out how the multiplayer stuff works and wants me to noob it up :D

(you can probably also find me as Daklore, but i'm pretty sure my steam id name is cansama)
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • I've died to jumps more than to enemies. (My spectacular death was when I leapt into a spinning propeller)

I honestly have no idea how to set up a server, but I've joined some public servers to look around. Maybe we can find a public server and then we can all meet up?

• I know enough to avoid jumps. From so many other games D:

That, and I'm terrified of heights/falling in reality to begin with. So... I tend to get overcautious in high places until I know there is no fall damage, or I have an equip that negates it :D

... I miss my Terraria wings now.
    i found the multiplayer thing, you actually -can't- use Hamachi for LAN connection anymore, starbound only supports Port Forwarding in its current stage. Meaning, somebody has to become the dedicated server, or buy one.

• Guys. I'm going to cry. I logged on just now to play- fuel tank is pretty full, let's do some exploring. The minute I land, I realized:

1. I had set up a full base back on my previous planet and most of my items are there.

2. I did not set it as home or write down its coordinates.

3. I used the random button in nav. 

I don't even remember the name of the planet. /sobbing

• There there, you'll set up a new base! With blackjack! And hookers!

In fact, forget the base. And the blackjack. Ah screw the whole thing.
  • My Starbound experience is starting to become oddly symbolic. 

I'm now on a mission to find a place to call home. 
    :-S

• Daklore said:
    There there, you'll set up a new base! With blackjack! And hookers!

Pretty sure screwing is what you're supposed to do with hookers, otherwise it's a terrible waste of money.
  • edited December 2013
    Arianis said:
    My Starbound experience is starting to become oddly symbolic. 

So you're part of the crew of Voyager? :3

Antonius said:
    Daklore said:

Pretty sure screwing is what you're supposed to do with hookers, otherwise it's a terrible waste of money.
    I was quoting Bender... or trying too.

Also, either this moon is very cold(pretty sure I'm on a moon), or Florians are just wussy pansies. Because waiting for night to pass under a torch in the middle of nowhere because I want to circle the moon... sucks. Cause he dies of cold otherwise D:
    Daklore said:
    Arianis said:
    My Starbound experience is starting to become oddly symbolic. 

So you're part of the crew of Voyager? :3

Antonius said:
    Daklore said:

I was quoting Bender... or trying too.

Also, either this moon is very cold(pretty sure I'm on a moon), or Florians are just wussy pansies. Because waiting for night to pass under a torch in the middle of nowhere because I want to circle the moon... sucks. Cause he dies of cold otherwise D:
    just go to your ship and wait there for night to pass

• edited December 2013
    But then it sends me back to my initial landing point, and then I've lost where I was D:
    I think I found a mini-boss in my travels. Hints of it being the fact that it was big, took a tonne of damage to kill, and dropped this huge ass club.

The fact that the topography kept it from charing at me helped, but here's what I got out of it:

THE THING SHOOTS A SHOCKWAVE WHEN I SWING IT OMG O_O

Edit: and now that the shockwave novelty has worn off... it's actually worse than my sword. !_! I mean, it beats it in overall damage... but I can kill better with the sword. And the shockwave damages the terrain... it's really good for tunneling through dirt, way faster than a pick!