Achaean languages and phonetics

Obviously, Achaean languages are a convoluted mix of criss-crossing real-life languages and made-up stuff, but there are, at least in some cases, pretty solid examples of what Achaean languages sound like- the most obvious example being the link between Arabic and Shallamese.

Of course, Tritonic states seem to all speak Greek, or something close to it.

What do you all suppose the major City-states' languages sound like? If there is even an approximation that makes sense. I always found it strange, for instance, that Cities would have random Chinese/Japanese-inspired Houses, that use words from those actual languages, despite the City's language not resembling either of those at all.

Racial languages obviously have their own roots and phonetic character, but I wonder if they had/have a part to play in the development of City-states' languages.

Thoughts?

Comments

• AlcinaeAlcinae AFK
    edited November 2013
    I always held the belief that Hashani would be a mix of French, and maybe Italian (de Rothschild, de Valois, Sar'vet). That or Hungarian. Just because. EDIT: Or Esperanto!

Mhaldor, I'm guessing Russian or a Eastern language like Sanskrit or Pali judging from House names, especially the case with the Naga.

• edited November 2013
    Interesting! Now that I think on it, Ashtan has a lot of Latin thrown in, doesn't it? City ranks are Latin, and while Archon is a Greek word, I'm pretty sure its equivalent was used in Latin-speaking places (Byzantium, for one).

ETA: If that is true, and Mhaldorian sounds like Russian, all those tells I get in Mhaldorian just got a whole lot funnier, when I read them in a Russian accent, in my head.
  • edited November 2013
    The Asian bits probably come because of the monk-classed houses. Which is kinda nice as opposed to having a token Asia-land city like they do in RPGs
  • As for Eleusis, I'm thinking Gaelic.
  • Yes. The Mojushai and the Ashura were the examples I was thinking of when I mentioned the Asian languages in the middle of Cities that are very obviously not Asian in any other respect.

Gaelic for Eleusis is excellent :O
  • As for Cyrene, something from a Nordic country, or Swedish. Maybe.
  • See, I always pictured Cyrene being Anglo-Germanic. Some language from that family (not quite Scandinavian languages, though).
  • Anedhel said:
    See, I always pictured Cyrene being Anglo-Germanic. Some language from that family (not quite Scandinavian languages, though).
    How about Dutch?
  • Would make sense! Something like that or Flemish, yeah.
  • Cyrene is much more Roman than Ashtan. We all know Ashtan would speak American.

• Vastus said:
    Cyrene, Dutch!? I refuse to be called a Cyrenian!
  • Yeah, hard to imagine Cyrene not speaking Latin.
  • My mental images:

Ashtan - Latin
    Hashan - Russian
    Mhaldor - German
    Cyrene - Dutch
    Eleusis - Gaelic
    Targossas/Shallam - French
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Anedhel said:
    Yes. The Mojushai and the Ashura were the examples I was thinking of when I mentioned the Asian languages in the middle of Cities that are very obviously not Asian in any other respect.
    I agree in principle, and it has annoyed me for quite some time too. Just as much as, say, the use of Latin in people's mottos or other non-English words.

But for quite some time now I have accepted that it's going to stay and that going against that would take far more energy than it would be worth. Those things are simply so deeply engrained in tradition now that any change would take a huge effort to put into effect.
  • Spoken like a true Cyrenian.

• I always based the languages a bit more based on their beliefs or general appearance.

For instance, I pictured:
    Shallam/targ-arabic: mainly due to the heavy influences of "good" religion that appears in the middle east, as well as a bit of architecture. Though if I remember correctly they could also be considered Russian. Didn't they have onion domes?

Mhaldor-Korean: Mainly due to the general appearance of Buddhism in Apollyon's order, as well as the oppressive atmosphere of mhaldor in general. makes a good mix for SE/Asia.

Hashan-American english: Can't really decide here, but it's generally chaotic and held the merchant guild, making me think of capitalism.

Cyrene: Dutch/German: while people usually give Germany flack for it's aggressive language, I think of it as food. This part of Europe has a large amount of pastries and meats, and have been generally kind despite the WW1/2 era.

Eleusis- Gaelic/Latin: assuming they are a foresty kind of "pretty" community, I'd only imagine eleusis to be something quite beautiful in perception.

Ashtan-Itallian: Anyone that's been to Italy for any extended time would make the connection.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Aepas said:
    Ashtan-Itallian: Anyone that's been to Italy for any extended time would make the connection.
    Sorry, but Ashtan's kawhe doesn't qualify. And its leaders don't keep large enough harems.
  • Daeir said:
    I actually always pictured Mhaldorian as very glottal and guttural in its sound - akin to Mongolian almost.
    I was thinking it could be a bit like how I see Genji: somewhat Manchurian in regime and culture. Mongolia I think more of the Trading Posts out in the Tundra.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• Szareine said:
    The Asian bits probably come because of the monk-classed houses. Which is kinda nice as opposed to having a token Asia-land city like they do in RPGs
    You mean Kashar, home of the samu--blademasters? >.>

Aepas said:
    I always based the languages a bit more based on their beliefs or general appearance.

For instance, I pictured:
    Shallam/targ-arabic: mainly due to the heavy influences of "good" religion that appears in the middle east, as well as a bit of architecture. Though if I remember correctly they could also be considered Russian. Didn't they have onion domes?

Mhaldor-Korean: Mainly due to the general appearance of Buddhism in Apollyon's order, as well as the oppressive atmosphere of mhaldor in general. makes a good mix for SE/Asia.

Hashan-American english: Can't really decide here, but it's generally chaotic and held the merchant guild, making me think of capitalism.

Cyrene: Dutch/German: while people usually give Germany flack for it's aggressive language, I think of it as food. This part of Europe has a large amount of pastries and meats, and have been generally kind despite the WW1/2 era.

Eleusis- Gaelic/Latin: assuming they are a foresty kind of "pretty" community, I'd only imagine eleusis to be something quite beautiful in perception.

Ashtan-Italian: Anyone that's been to Italy for any extended time would make the connection.
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeees...I can see it...

• Daeir said:
    I actually always pictured Mhaldorian as very glottal and guttural in its sound - akin to Mongolian almost.
    I did have this mindset for a long time. However, the more I thought about it I do believe that SE asia languages fit better with it.

I believe this just comes from the whole idea that harsher languages are generally scary sounding. However I have never found mhaldor to be as "scary" as it is "cruel" which is why I believe the SE asia fits a bit better. Historically, I believe SE asia are some of the meanest mofos out there. No offense of course, it's a new era. Still, Asia has been a very powerful and cruel place for a long time.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Iocun said:
    Anedhel said:
    Yes. The Mojushai and the Ashura were the examples I was thinking of when I mentioned the Asian languages in the middle of Cities that are very obviously not Asian in any other respect.
    I agree in principle, and it has annoyed me for quite some time too. Just as much as, say, the use of Latin in people's mottos or other non-English words.

But for quite some time now I have accepted that it's going to stay and that going against that would take far more energy than it would be worth. Those things are simply so deeply engrained in tradition now that any change would take a huge effort to put into effect.
    Given how much inter-city interaction there is in Achaea, and how fluidly people move between cities, visit other cities, etc, what would be surprising would be -any- purity of naming in any city. I live in San Francisco, and I can go to places where I hear Italian, Chinese, English, French, Vietnamese, Russian, Japanese, etc spoken. Central sapience is a melting pot. 
  • Daeir said:
    I have to admit, Cyrenian has always sounded like Simlish (the language used in the Sims games) in my head.

Waktarf garh noodle.
    Or in Civ II with them randomly going, "Haberdashery".
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• Sarapis said:
    Iocun said:
    Anedhel said:

Given how much inter-city interaction there is in Achaea, and how fluidly people move between cities, visit other cities, etc, what would be surprising would be -any- purity of naming in any city. I live in San Francisco, and I can go to places where I hear Italian, Chinese, English, French, Vietnaese, Russian, Japanese, etc spoken. Central sapience is a melting pot. 
    Yes, a melting pot between Achaean cultures. All Achaean languages are represented in English, to us.
  • FitzFitz Fire and Spice
    Of course Ashtan is an admixture of Romance languages. It's the original seat of western religion! It is the Rome to Shallam's Jerusalem and Targ's Byzantium!

• FenFen Snappy Snappy, Takey Takey
    Aepas said:
    I lived in Italy for most of my childhood on into adolescence. I don't see it.