City destruction changes

Comments

• Don't look at the military ranks as anything other than how much someone has participated and how much they are worth if they die.

• Daeir said:
    That saddens me a little bit. I was hoping military rank would mean something ICly and OOCly rather than just being a measure of how juicy a target you are.
    Well there are abilities assigned to ranks so it has some meaning. Otherwise nope, no measure of how much you contributed or can do with the auto-promotion.
  • FitzFitz Fire and Spice
    Santar said:

Come at me bro.
    Dude, we all know your couture is stale and out of season.

• I think worth should be a score expressed independently of rank, which should be a subjective measure of how valuable the army feels you are.
  • If there was PK assist experience I would hunt to dragon as a tarot ent.

• Well, the entire reason we put armies in was to have an active measure (rank) that directly corelated to how often you were fighting in raids. It was our solution to the problem of needing to scale worth to something, but not actually having anything directly tied to pk in terms of a ranking system (or at least, not a definitive one).

Beyond that, you can really make it whatever you want it to be.

• KuyKuy
    edited November 2013
    Makarios said:

Well, the entire reason we put armies in was to have an active measure (rank) that directly corelated to how often you were fighting in raids. It was our solution to the problem of needing to scale worth to something, but not actually having anything directly tied to pk in terms of a ranking system (or at least, not a definitive one).

Beyond that, you can really make it whatever you want it to be.

Lusternia has a vote weight used for elections.  Your vote weight increases (up to 10) based on your activity within the realms.  As you become less active, your weight gradually returns to 1.  Activity is measured in terms of login time and what you do, I believe.  Would it be possible to have something like an Army Weight, which would increase the same way army rank does now?

With that, the army could serve both purposes, and it would be fairly realistic.  You can have conscripts at rank 1 who have a weight of 10 because they're fighting often as well as sergeants with rank 1 because they've been dormant.

It would also serve to make it so that people who are forced to go dormant for a while come back with lower value, which would make sense as they'd need to warm up a little before being worth a lot again.

(ETA for clarification: I use the term "rank 1" here in reference to what they are worth for tank recharging.)
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • I really like Kuy's suggestion of making the worth of soldiers for tank charging invisible and decoupling it from army rank.

@Makarios, @Tecton, could we go with that instead?

• Silas said:

I really like Kuy's suggestion of making the worth of soldiers for tank charging invisible and decoupling it from army rank.

Separating it from army rank seems fine, but why invisible? Is there a problem with being able to identify high value people?
  • Eld said:
    I really like Kuy's suggestion of making the worth of soldiers for tank charging invisible and decoupling it from army rank.

Separating it from army rank seems fine, but why invisible? Is there a problem with being able to identify high value people?

Because a wise general dresses in the same outfit as his soldiers, that his commandant colors may not be spotted immediately by a marksm...ah heck, they'll just probably see his name and quickly deduce his military value anyway!

• Thought of something interesting that's an odd side-effect of this system.  If a whole city is pre-occupied with something (say a big event where they're killing/getting killed by daemons), that used to make them super open to raiding and destruction.  Now, they're essentially immune to it for the duration of the event, since they won't go defend and thus won't enable a sanction.

I can't tell if I really like that side-effect or not.  Certainly protects events from griefing!
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    We're pretty happy with the way the army system currently works. Once we get some more live use data, we may make further tweaks, but for the moment, it meets the requirements we need it to.
  • FitzFitz Fire and Spice
    Tecton said:
    We're pretty happy with the way the army system currently works. Once we get some more live use data, we may make further tweaks, but for the moment, it meets the requirements we need it to.
    Soo.........dog pile on Hashan for beta testing?

• Tecton said:
    Wouldn't it be preferable for it to meet everybody's requirements? I understand that you have things you want from it as the administration, but surely it makes sense to take what the players want into account as well.

• I think taking into account what some players want to influence the final product is great, but you'll never satisfy everybody.

Also, a lot of players want to abuse the crap out of things, which further limits the 'everybody's' requirements thing.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• I hate to agree with Silas, but he's completely right on this one. Achaea is a business, not a hobby for the developers. It isn't about what the admin wants - the players' desires should be the priority in every single decision made here. 

I've seen a few of IRE games' admin refer to their own vision when it comes to features and drawbacks to these games. This isn't an approach IRE should be making simply because it is a -business- that earns a profit from players. You can't treat these games like hobby muds that are free. 

• In fairness, they've made pretty great strides on that in the last few months. I'm pretty sure it was more a slip of the tongue than anything, but I just wanted to make the reminder.

And sure, there are people who'll try to abuse every system, but that's no reason to not at least try to do something for the people who won't.

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    As Makarios mentioned earlier, the system works as a balancing mechanism. We're fine with people running with the ball on the RP aspects of it, and encourage it, but drastically modifying a system to no longer be that balancing point isn't something we're looking at doing before we've had a chance to see how things play out (the system is less than a week old).

I'm sure there will be many more additions to help facilitate both the "RP" and the "combat mechanics" sides of the army system, with a very large portion (if not all) of them resulting directly from player feedback. For now, we're going to keep an eye on things and see how well the mechanical side of the system performs in its current state.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Wynedere said:
    I hate to agree with Silas, but he's completely right on this one. Achaea is a business, not a hobby for the developers. It isn't about what the admin wants - the players' desires should be the priority in every single decision made here. 

I've seen a few of IRE games' admin refer to their own vision when it comes to features and drawbacks to these games. This isn't an approach IRE should be making simply because it is a -business- that earns a profit from players. You can't treat these games like hobby muds that are free. 
    Business or not, everyone has a vision for the things they create. Its one thing to say they should take into account what players want, other very different to say they should totally give in to all the players' demands just because they pay.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Shirszae said:
    Wynedere said:
    I hate to agree with Silas, but he's completely right on this one. Achaea is a business, not a hobby for the developers. It isn't about what the admin wants - the players' desires should be the priority in every single decision made here. 

Business or not, everyone has a vision for the things they create. Its one thing to say they should take into account what players want, other very different to say they should totally give in to all the players' demands just because they pay.

You're adding to what I posted. I never said that they should give in to all the players' demands. That would ultimately end in less than desirable results. A level of common sense has to be applied, obviously. In saying that, though, you still cannot ignore what players want from these games. 

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Wynedere said:
    Shirszae said:
    Wynedere said:

You're adding to what I posted. I never said that they should give in to all the players' demands. That would ultimately end in less than desirable results. A level of common sense has to be applied, obviously. In saying that, though, you still cannot ignore what players want from these games. 
    I was mostly responding to your comment about how IRE should not have a vision for the game they are making. I find the notion ridiculous, business or not.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• My first thought is that the admins are giving in the players demands, the city/war system was not perfect and they have changed/tweaked it to be something they think is better. I have such little experience with this new system to really honestly judge if I think it works or can not work, so far I like it other than (my stupid ass promoted Iocun to 5 and he resigned to get back to 3 and hopefully these errors are tiny)

I am really interested to see the autopromote in action, but I fear it might favour the kill classes vice support classes, but I still think as Tecton said, that is something as a MoW I can help manage if I know people are constantly helping/pitching in. Or at least that is what I've been trying to do from an RP prospective an autopromote should be rewarded and recognized, thought as Cyrene is so defensive I am curious how this translates to other, offensive cities.

But as Shirszae said we all have visions and as a player I have one to least help make Cyrenian defense more fun and rewarding.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    To be fair, admin has been very good at picking up and adapting user suggestions. Of course we don't get 100% what we want, but a fair compromise is often reached so kudos to them for that.

• edited November 2013
    Tecton said:

Wish there was more strategy involved than "enter city and farm PK on high value targets". Unless there is an I've missed it? And Im keenly interested in seeing the flow chart or the list of requirements use to decide satisfactory working of the Army system. This way maybe people could suggest better ideas with that information in mind.