City destruction changes

Comments

• Depends on the rate of growth Kaevan, We only got to level 1 there. Now granted soldier ranks were low and Hasar was playing it safe to avoid feeding (oh god did Achaea just turn into LoL?) but that raid was an hour long. We could have blown all the tanks in that amount of time under the old system. Lets wait and see how many bodies it takes to get LoS and then decide how terrible it is.

Even then, after the first level of charge on a tank the level of destruction is up to the defenders. They can try and take the tank by killing everyone or just pull out and take the one room hit.
  • I wasn't intentionally camping outside waiting for the font to stack up, we did rush 3 times at the least, and attack once or twice in addition to that.

Perhaps the font should only stack up when our city has X soldiers within X rooms, etc.

• Hasar said:
    I wasn't intentionally camping outside waiting for the font to stack up, we did rush 3 times at the least, and attack once or twice in addition to that.

Perhaps the font should only stack up when our city has X soldiers within X rooms, etc.
    Nothing wrong with playing safe. I kept urging Dunn to spear combo you for great lulz when you guys tried to rush. He wouldn't do it :(

• Skye said:
    ::words::
    This is about what it's like, really. Do you have an alt?

• Makarios said:

The font should make extended raids of the kind your describing (spanning multiple hours) unviable. It also requires that you actually have people to kill (and the diminishing returns on killing the same people will also make this pretty much a no go in a lot of situations).

I'm sure you've got the numbers but for everyone else that doesn't that first raid was almost an hour long. It took 25 minutes of standing around and a few kills to get to the first rank. I can't say how close we were to rank 2. The whole thing felt very icony.
  • A huge part of your problem there was half the Mhaldorians you were killing weren't conscripted yet (or were all rank one in the army) whereas a significant portion of your group was all rank 5. You also killed their entire group before actually activating your tank. This meant you already started out with all of them on the diminishing returns (including their war minister who would've given you a very significant boost).

That first set of kills is extremely important to being efficient with the system, as we want to reward people for fighting but punish them for staying around for too long.

• The adjacent destruction could still be a huge deal for shops. Will be interesting to see how often that level is reached.

• edited November 2013
    Silas said:
    The adjacent destruction could still be a huge deal for shops. Will be interesting to see how often that level is reached.
    Adjacent destruction opens up a lot of options for a lot of things. Between this and the area attack changes cities are going to need to re-evaluate their guard placements.

Guards in general might even need a looking at.

And hey @Makarios why can't we blow up harbours? Let me take out Targs! Not like they use it...
  • I see no reason you couldn't blow up a harbour.
  • from help city destruction

During a sanctioned raid, attackers will have the ability to bring forth their
    tools of war and potentially lay waste to large areas of the city, filling the
    rooms with rubble and rendering shops, banks, post offices, and barracks
    inoperable until they are repaired.

What I meant was why can't they be closed down like the assets listed above?
  • It's certainly going to make things more interesting now that the downtime for any given room isn't an hour or less.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Arditi said:
    Skye said:
    Everyone knows I'm Roof duh.

• StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Skye said:
    On a different note, what is the destruction scene like? Same as before?

I'm wondering if it's possible to have separate 'flavours' for each city's tanks / destructive capabilities. Like uh...

Targossas: Entering the room causes mudlet to rickroll you (Tank: A pair of panties)
    Cyrene: (lol) well okay... Blinding rainbows that burn into your heart and soul. (Tank: Bowl of Skittles)

If anything so things look interesting and leave's a city's distinctive mark instead of leaving a load of generic rubble.
    :P
  • Kinilan said:
    Depends on the rate of growth Kaevan, We only got to level 1 there. Now granted soldier ranks were low and Hasar was playing it safe to avoid feeding (oh god did Achaea just turn into LoL?) but that raid was an hour long. We could have blown all the tanks in that amount of time under the old system. Lets wait and see how many bodies it takes to get LoS and then decide how terrible it is.

Even then, after the first level of charge on a tank the level of destruction is up to the defenders. They can try and take the tank by killing everyone or just pull out and take the one room hit.
    I'd like to say that we were playing it safe save for the *ahem* communication problems that suddenly infested everything. Individuals were also trying to get conscripted in the middle of the commotion. In that instance we weren't so much "playing it safe" as "tripping over ourselves and facepalming". Unfortunately, due to the problems that Makarios already mentioned we still don't have a very clear idea of just how fast killing soldiers of certain ranks fills up the tank's charge. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the results are in a future sanctioned raid by a faction. 
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    when we're talking about LoS destruction, do we mean, Squint LoS (±6 rooms) or literally.. everything in a straight line?
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Tharvis said:
    when we're talking about LoS destruction, do we mean, Squint LoS (±6 rooms) or literally.. everything in a straight line?
    I'm interpreting it as the latter - more like sniping or soulspear range more than anything else is what I think of when I read 'LoS'. Something else entirely might be intended. 
  • Nim said:

I kind of like this crazy consequence thing that raiding might have now.

I'm just not fond of the EXP thing because I'm Cyrenian, and the chance of Cyrenians using it are incredibly slim compared to the chance of it being used on us.

The odds of us successfully raiding someone is zero, unless there is some huge sweeping in game thingy that changes the Senates mind... However the odds of us dismantling and you being in the room pretty good, it isn't like Cyrene is left in the dark completely.

Hiroma tells you, "I just got to listen to someone complain about your deadly axekick being the bane of their existence."
    Archdragon Mizik Corten, Herald of Ruin says, "Man, that was a big axk."
    Hellrazor Cain de Soulis, Sartan's Hammer says, "Your [sic] a beast."
  • Skye said:
    Arditi said:
    Skye said:
    Everyone knows I'm Roof duh.
    people still don't know this?
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Ruth said:
    Shirszae 1 a Maggot Kaevan 1 a Maggot Zii 1 a Maggot Vicious 1 a Maggot Hasar 6 The Lord Marshal ******************************************************************************* Maggots!
    Heh, so you guys are using the old Maldaathi novice title?
  • I vote we change the Rank 6 title to the Lord Maggot. 

Please? 
    [-O<
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Vastus said:
    I vote we change the Rank 6 title to the Conqueror Worm. 

Please? 
    [-O<
    ftfy

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Rank 6 should be Botfly. Implement it!
  • You people (admins) are my heroes.

I love you.
  • So if raiders come to start a sanctioned raid, and no one shows up to defend, meaning no one dies in the allotted timeframe, does this mean there is no other way to start a sanctioned raid?

What stops a city from refusing to participate in a raid with the intention of not supplying the body count needed to sanction?

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I think they lose the one room they started.  The new system likely favors a few classes who can navigate around a city and assassinate a few key people but that's no difference than how it was before.