What's cooking?

Comments

• Verily said:
    I've not baked in ages, so I decided to give a go at making an apple streusel coffee cake. It didn't turn out looking all too pretty, but it's delicious and that's what counts!

And here you were worried. Looks amazing. Send me some, plzkthxbai.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Nom nom baked chicken thighs. <3<3

Trim some of the fat off but leave the skin.

Just mix the juice of one orange with one tablespoon of honey and three tablespoons of light soy sauce.

Add mixed herbs to your taste.

Marinate thighs for about 2-3 hours or longer.

Place arrange meat skin-side up on a foil-lined tray and gently dab the skin dry and rub with salt. Bake for half an hour at 190 degrees or until skin is browned.

Nomnomnom.

• That looks frightening.

• Skye said:
    Bake for half an hour at 190 degrees or until skin is browned.

I just realized you meant Celsius. Was very concerned and confused for a moment!
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Bon bao again... with bacon in it :3
    meh

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    edited November 2013
    I'll post some recipes of mine later this week but this is all you really need to make edible food.

• The whole biscuit/cookie/cracker/whatever else translations is one of those UK<->US translations I've never been able to get quite straight. British biscuit generally means American cookie? Except digestive biscuits, which we call Graham crackers? Is that right?
  • EilonaEilona United Kingdom
    That's right, @Eld. British biscuit = American cookie. American biscuit = Something a bit like a British scone.

If a British recipe calls for digestive biscuits, you can substitute Graham crackers. Graham crackers are a bit dryer and more brittle, apparently. More cracker-like, I suppose.
  • Eilona said:
    That's right, @Eld. British biscuit = American cookie. American biscuit = Something a bit like a British scone.

If a British recipe calls for digestive biscuits, you can substitute Graham crackers. Graham crackers are a bit dryer and more brittle, apparently. More cracker-like, I suppose.
    Hm, I'd have guessed the opposite on the latter part - Graham crackers are pretty moist, for a(n American) cracker. Never had a British digestive biscuit, though, so dunno how it actually compares. I'd argue with the American biscuit -> scone version, though; what we call biscuits generally more leavened and fluffier than scones, I think.
  • This is the Metric recipe of the sweet cornbread that I make (I put it on top of something similar to chicken pot pie or by itself and make chili)
    125 g all-purpose flour
    120 g yellow cornmeal
    135 g white sugar
    6 g salt
    15 g baking powder
    1 egg
    235 ml milk80 ml vegetable oil

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
    2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
    3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

I hope you have the yellow cornmeal! If not- I use regular cornmeal (since I have it on hand for homemade english muffins.)

meh

• Buh? Regular cornmeal isn't yellow? You people are making me feel embarrassingly provincial.
  • Yeah, it's weird. The one bag my husband picked out isn't yellow.
    meh

• Trilliana said:

Yeah, it's weird. The one bag my husband picked out isn't yellow.

Ah all right, then I'll assume it's your husband's problem rather than mine.
  • OuraniaOurania The Garden of the Gods
    We have cornmeal, I made corn dogs once. I have to say, they tasted like angels. 

• Roasted chicken with olives and Provencal herbs, brown rice, and vanilla green beans amandine.
    “There is no greater sorrow than thinking back upon a happy time in misery--”

• Ourania said:
    We have cornmeal, I made corn dogs once. I have to say, they tasted like angels. 
    Best thing to do is take a large breakfast sausage and pancake batter, and make 'breakfast corndogs' without the corn. Dip in syrup!
  • Trilliana said:

Eld said:
    Buh? Regular cornmeal isn't yellow? You people are making me feel embarrassingly provincial.
    Eh. You can get blue, white, red, or yellow cornmeal. Yellow is extremely common in the US.
  • Trevize said:
    Trilliana said:

Eld said:
    Buh? Regular cornmeal isn't yellow? You people are making me feel embarrassingly provincial.
    Eh. You can get blue, white, red, or yellow cornmeal. Yellow is extremely common in the US.
    The availability of colors other than yellow doesn't surprise me, just the idea that yellow wouldn't be the default.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Ourania said:
    I can't remember if I have posted this before, but if so, it deserves it again. Mainly for @Lianca

This is my double bacon, chicken, lettuce, tomato with mayo on fresh bloomer.

PLZ STAHP. I need a bib for this drool. Is that home-made bread?
  • TeghaineTeghaine Cape Town - South Africa - Africa (thatcontinentthatlookslikesouthamerica)
    Ourania said:

I want to eat an angel now...
    What do they taste like? I'd imagine sort of like a mixture between popcorn and marshmallows... Tasty, but not exceptionally filling.
  • OuraniaOurania The Garden of the Gods
    Strata said:
    Ourania said:
    I can't remember if I have posted this before, but if so, it deserves it again. Mainly for @Lianca

This is my double bacon, chicken, lettuce, tomato with mayo on fresh bloomer.

PLZ STAHP. I need a bib for this drool. Is that home-made bread?
    Yes, my bread is home made. :)

And angels taste like music in your mouth.

• TeghaineTeghaine Cape Town - South Africa - Africa (thatcontinentthatlookslikesouthamerica)
    Here there is a saying in Afrikaans, which is: dis soos n' engel het op my tong gepipi.
    This roughly translates to: it's like an angel was on my tongue, and... Uhm... :-/ excreted liquid there :-\"

It's meant to be a huge compliment... I don't understand it though. Afrikaans expressions are weird like that... There's another about a man and an umbrella...
    Anyway, back to the topic

Quite a simple dish, I think it's a traditional thing, though I'm not sure.
    We call it a Bunnie Chow
    You basically cut a loaf of bread in half and hollow them out.
    Keep the insides
    Any curry will do, I used a mutton curry with various spices, potato cubes etc.
    Scoop the curry into the hollow half loaves, and eat with your fingers.

As you eat more of the curry, you tear off the top if the bead crust-shell-thing to scoop up the insides.
  • We call it Cob Loaf here. Good for picnics. Basically:
    • Get a BIG round cob loaf
    • Cut off top and hollow out
    • Fill the inside with (common here) spinach and fetta cheese dip mixed with caramelised capsicum and herbs
    • Lightly toast the spare pieces of bread and decorate around the sides of the loaf
    • Put the top back on for presentation
    • Take to picnic and eat.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

Still different... I'll have to find pictures somewhere... Cursed phone doesn't let me upload any here
This discussion has been closed.