The Thrill of the Game

2»

Comments

• HaldonHaldon I forgot...
    Athrax said:
    If it weren't the forums, I would have completely forgotten Hashan was a place.
    Har har har har! Hnnnn! =))

Ohmahgosh that's just so fucking high-larious. You should get a spot on Leno or something, man.
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Well @Rip(/Cobra, not sure why the change) I agree that Achaea can be a place for escaping into a fun adventure. While RP certainly is fun, keep in mind that it's RP. I think people should be able to play their characthowthey want, but that while doing so, a certain amount of detachment is needed from the person behind the screen. Otherwise, their RP might become like stale office bagel no one wants. Parts of the person behind the character ate going to bleed through, which is good, it gives it a bit of personalized flavor. The point rolling a character though, in games like this, and DnD is to slip free if your wordly identity and briefly settle into a new and exciting role. People aren't always who the aregame. The Tyrannus of Mhaldor, @Ruth, plays the part well, but ooc she's not some evil mastermind bent on enslaving the world (unless she's failed to fill me in on her evil schemes, which I will be sorely disappointed). Ooc she's really nice and funny, and it's easy to see both ic and ooc that she really enjoys the game and what she does. That's what I'm working on getting back. I guess one of the biggest hurdles was finding a place my character fit in. Maybe I have, maybe I haven't. Time tells all things. I really the fact that Mhaldor isn't a place that tolerates stupidity and distespectfulness, while at the same time, recognizing hard work and loyalty, and seeing it rewarded instead of disregarded.

I usecringe at the thought of joining Mhaldor. Join a militaristic city and have orders barked at you? Me? Hell no. I have problems with authority. Then I realized I wasn't playing my character, I was playing me, which to me defeats the point of the game. While there might be some significant similarities between myself and my character(a seafarer with a love of rum, cigars, and questionable women), I took a step back and envisioned what I wanted my character to be.

I wanted him to be a pirates, because fuck yeah, pirates are awesome(even if their dental plans suck)! Can't be a pirate and a Tempest and the same time I was told. Say farewell to the Order of the Sea. I wanted to be a better fighter again (it's going to be a long journey and a lot of work to get back to that), so I sought out a place that both accepted my desire to be a pirate, while encouraging me to train hard, and giving me the tools and support needed to do so.

Most people don't make it in Mhaldor, and the biggest reason I see is because they think too much of themselves, and can't bring themselves to follow the two simple tenants of Be Respectful and Be Productive. Basically it's a city where people have gathered to say to hell with the pettiness that seems to thrive in other places, because we're here to be awesome and get better at the things we enjoy, whether it be combat, sailing, lore study, etc. While it's a no-nonsense atmosphere, it surprised me how fun it can be, and how supportive and helpful people can be.

In.closing, what are you doing with your future? If you feel it's not enough, maybe Mhaldor would be a good fit. Mention my name and get a free kitten to order to follow Carmain around.

• Cobra/Rip changed names because of targeting issues with his cobra pet.
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • RipRip
    edited October 2013
    @Kresslack, I do understand the meaning of role-playing.  A slight detachment is required but complete disassociation is unhealthy.  We are living people, not pawns on a chess board.

The fact is, we are not evil masterminds plotting against society, maybe some of us, but everything loses its luster as time progresses. Role-playing a pirate in Achaea sounds like a great time but overly done, completely boring.  Sinking people's ship is something you can't do in life without consequences.  So you come here to role-play that scenario out.

I agree with you that, role-playing, is an attempt to free yourself of the real world and take on a role that you could not otherwise. That's the whole essence, but keep in mind real people, role-play these characters, we are not computer game pieces. When you sink someone ship for your amusement, it's probably not amusing to them.

All I'm trying to suggest is, everything gets stale and boring if you do it too much (which you clearly have done and felt the need to express it) It's human nature to want new fresh shinny things.  So, switch it up to something different but rolling out another character because you are displeased with you current situation will only make you want to roll another one, once that role gets boring. 

I did not want to change my name from Cobra and am still sadden by it, in fact as it was happening I was crying like a little boy in real life. Funny how a simple game of role-play can make you emotional.  Sure @Sarapis told me it was just a name change, get over it, I'm still the same person inside.  But that's exactly my point, you are still YOU.  

Anyway this isn't about role-playing a new character it's you suggesting your bored and tired of your current role.  Think I get tired of being role-playing Rip on Achaea?  I DON'T!  I have a great time hanging out as a serpent pretending to have fangs and wings.  I make the most out of the experience, that's what it is here for and I can walk away at any point that it isn't exciting.

I do like how you turn your thread into a Mhaldor recruitment poster.  You might want to put that as your topic next time.  "Bored? Join Mhaldor!" would have been more appropriate.

Clearly, I know what a game is and what role-playing is and how to go about it.  I have been playing them since I was born and enjoy them very much.  However, posting things like this on the forums is ruining everyone else's good time.  If your bored and tired, go watch some TV, I know that is completely interactive and thrilling!

Take care I hope you work it out,

Rip

• I like @Rip. He sounds cool.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited October 2013
    To clarify, the thread wasn't about be bored or tired, it was specifically about how I realized that after playing non-stop for a few years with no breaks, I got a little burnt out. Instead of just realizing it, I made steps to address it. 

To clarify regarding piracy, I don't sink ships 'for my amusement', I do it because the concept and experience of ship combat is exciting to me, as well as being a pirate. There are relative consequences for anything we do in Achaea. If you kill someone, they may seek vengeance or hire on you. If you sink someone's ship, they may take steps to be better prepared next time, and maybe even bring the fight to you and sink -you-. I sink ships for two reasons: Potential profit obtained from people making contributions in order ensure safety(preventative measures), and because people have generally lacked a fundamental respect for the sea and fail to realize how dangerous it really is. More often than not, I'm out looking to run into a sea creature, but those are guaranteed to fight back and make it an enjoyable experience. 

In any case, at this point I've digressed a bit from the original point, which was simply that I had come to the regretful realization that I had grown burnt out on Achaea. Achaea is certainly not the only game I play, but it's certainly the one I put most of myself and my appreciation of an ever changing digital world into.

• RipRip
    edited October 2013
    Thank you, @Tarkanian I am trying to get into the "new name" but I am finding it hard to make my old self attach to it.  Over time it will set in.  I role-play the founding father of a group of assassins...It never gets old.

• @kresslack, I hear you on all your points.  I only said amusing because it is a game and they are meant to be fun.  Not trying to put words in your mouth by any means.  

I am glad to hear that you took steps to be interested in something you enjoy.  That's what it is all about, enjoying.  Can't wait to see you IN GAME man.  Take it easy.

• I've been playing Iron Realms games for a dogs age... I find the mundane predictability of graphical games to be grating on me and as a writer and erstwhile programmer text-based games are something that actually hones the skill of my craft while it kills my time.

I've bought credits on a few characters and have had extensive 'arcs' with my characters lives in Aetolia, Achaea and Imperian.  For some reason I keep coming back and making new characters.  I'm dissatisfied with where the lives of some of my oldest characters have landed, particularly since their friends and acquaintances are long gone.

It's in the act of starting over that I find the most joy.

Though what I will say is that starting each time with the same blank client and same narrative tabula rasa affords me an opportunity to redefine my struggles in the game.  Which becomes increasingly flawless and efficient.  Of course, it also means that I have a bunch of weak, relatively low level characters across games who I keep giving up on.  It's that initial learning curve of re-integrating to the gameworld that is hard.

Beo's the first of these new characters I've actually repeatedly gone back to.  I burned out after a few months and then didn't play.  It was only last week that I realized he would probably be deleted soon so came back to resuscitate him.

Basically here's my opinion: When you're not interacting, when you're standing in Ashtan ratting absentmindedly for 3 hours, when you'd rather do homework than walk across the world to refill those vials... you're burned out.  Take a short break, take a long break, make a new character in a new game.  The joy can go and it can go quickly.

I think ongoing engagement is largely about the people you are interacting with?  For me, my characters don't do things because I desire a specific outcome, but rather my sense of responsibility to others makes certain outcomes desirable.  Make sense?

• If someone feels that the game has become dull for him, it is because he has lost interest in his avatar in the first place. 
    Probably, if someone plays the game just for mechanical PVP fights/raid, or to do his/her homework connected to his administrative position in the city/order, the game becomes a job and sooner or later he will get bored (or frustated). Roleplay is the best medicine against boredom.
    By the way, I do not have much RL time to play, so I still have plenty of things to discover, so I might be biased.

Light prevails, always