Martial Arts

2»

Comments

• I did Tang Soo Do, reached 1st gup (red belt w/2 black stripes, at least in our local system), belt immediately prior to black.

Unfortunately with Tennis and Drama and stuff in high school I could never stay in lessons the full 6 months required to test for my black.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • edited September 2013
    Learned Muay Thai for a solid 6 months during early 2009, and then intermittently since. Dabbled with bjj along the way as well.

Now learning FMA, and planning on learning kenjutsu as well. Just not sure if I want to go the kendo way.
  • Chryenth said:

We might need some kata videos.

Not a kata video, but a decent enough overview.

• Did kickboxing about 6 hours a week from 2009 through to 2012, with some bjj in the last year (they introduced it as a separate course in the same dojo). I have since stopped due to other obligations, but I enjoyed every minute of it. I wanted to pick it back up for fitness now I have more spare time, but I can't find anywhere local/convenient :(

Briefly did Tae Kwon Do for a few months when I was 8 but I don't think that counts :D
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited September 2013
    Tvistor said:
    Is fencing a martial art?

Shinkendo is definitely a martial art, and an awesome and wicked fun one at that.

A demonstration:

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    I fence as well, technically it is a "martial art" but like many things we use that label on these days it is actually a sport and would have little application in actual sword fighting!

Anyway, I have fenced for years. Epee>Foil>Sabre(no finesse!)
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    The biggest misconception about actual fencing such as with longswords is that it's just wailing away and flailing until you hit something. I train with ARMA in my local area, which is focused on historically accurate European longsword fencing. There are different stances, transitions, and way to manipulate the stance your opponent is in, in order to circumvent their defenses. It's a lot of fun, despite all the bruises. 

If you get into it, you're going to need a fencing mask(about $40+), some gloves, a cup, and recommended a gorget to protect getting jabbed in the throat accidentally. Shit happens. If you don't want your fingers busted and broken, hocky/lacrose gloves work great. There are other groups that use wooden swords, such as SCA, but ARMA is all steel, because there is no real substitute. 

• I have been practicing for 22 years, actually. I like MA a lot, especially the esoteric side. I have competed on non professional level, I have seen and sparred with practitioner of many stiles (basically, everything that there is out there). At the end of the day, there are not many ways to move a body in the most effective possible of ways, regardless of the style. 
    Light prevails, always
  • Vayne said:
    I fence as well, technically it is a "martial art" but like many things we use that label on these days it is actually a sport and would have little application in actual sword fighting!

Anyway, I have fenced for years. Epee>Foil>Sabre(no finesse!)
    Need to drop warp network again over this.
  • TunnakTunnak Flanders
    edited March 2014
    I've been doing Jiu-Jitsu (Makoto Ryu Jiu-Jitsu as the local club is called) since I was 6 years old. I stopped going to the dojo weekly about two years ago, since school and other stuff started to take up too much of my time. I have a green-blue belt, which is just three or four belts below black in Jiu-Jitsu. I was also trained in wielding a katana but I don't consider myself good at using one. I accidentally shattered a lightbulb in my house once while swinging one of my katanas around...so it's probably for the best that I only have wooden ones  :>