Do you like to make "Alternate" Characters?

2»

Comments

• I make alts...but I don't like to! I wish I could just be one person and be happy. Damn curiosity D:
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Alts are fun and my alts are more artied than Kyrra.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited November 2013
    I personally don't like the idea of alts. I understand they can be a way for people to experience new aspects of the game, but I feel dilutes the overall experience. I say if you want to try something new, whether class, city, or house, just try it. I can't really imagine rolling an Alt with all the time, money, and work I've invested into my character.

Also, I never much liked how people take advantage of alts for abuse purposes, which is growing more and more common. That along with the obvious alts honour line quests at 18 and getting dragon at 25. Just seems....tacky, how people don't even bother to play it out.

@Cooper voted no.

• Kresslack said:
    That along with the obvious alts honour line quests at 18 and getting dragon at 25. Just seems....tacky, how people don't even bother to play it out.
    I got dragon that young without being an alt. :(

Though the people that get it at like 21 now ... that's stretching it a little.
    There's always at least one prodigy I suppose.

• It's not really like getting Dragon is hard, especially if you have a new player who can, and is willing to, invest money into the game almost immediately (particularly in the form of Iron Elite for the experience bonus). Not to mention that a couple of weeks of solid grinding to get to max level isn't exactly uncommon in games, so I'm not that surprised that there are people who are bringing that mentality, and the necessary free time to back it up, to Achaea.
  • edited November 2013
    I used to, but now I don't. Mostly I don't have the time/energy/money to invest in an alt and so I'd rather spend the time/energy/money I do have on Reih. So none of my alts have lasted so far. But I haven't totally given up hope yet.

There are some things that make me want to create alts...like Reih not being allowed back in Scarlatti's Commune and being more or less pushed out of the arts community (or at least it feels that way) makes me want to create alts in Ty Beirdd just for the sake of making new things :) So alts to experience things I don't/can't/do rarely anymore with my main are a sticking point for me.

Since Herm and Reih and pretty much monogamous IC (and it's me and him and my husband IRL), if I ever wanted to roleplay a romance, I'd probably have to do it on an alt. But meh. I have my hands full with the two of them as it is.
  • I like having alts to cure that I don't want to be this class anymore itch. I don't always play on them a lot but can be a nice escape from the demands of May. 
  • The class hopping bug is one I've never gotten. The only classes I like to play are druid and priest. Given the restrictions with Houses and everything, I'll consider sylvan, monk, or shaman...and maaaaaaybe bard or jester. But there are only a few houses and a few classes I enjoy playing, so I've never managed to wrap my mind around the 'must try ALLLLLL the classes' bug. Maybe by the time I'm Logi's age...
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Once in a while I try to make an alt, usually never to log into them again. I can't care about them, too much invested in Vayne.
  • I used to make alts, though I never really intended to play them much. Part of me felt guilty when I made a housed alt, for wasting the time of whoever got the job of running the induction (though I always pretended to be new, so they'd feel like they were actually helping).

Mostly I'd try new classes and go to places I'd not been to, then raise a stack of typos and leave the character to wither away, its only legacy an unremembered combination of IC ignorance and OOC pedantry.
    ----------
    I play  -Enrai-  -Luhar-
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited November 2013
    Well I have a single permanent alt, I don't really enjoy the concept of "alting" in the way it's defined.

Do I enjoy potentially learning a whole new class, faction, and culture? Absolutely. Do I enjoy an occasional get-away from the responsibility of Mel? Certainly. Do I like making a lot of characters to try out various classes and abilities with little to no sustenance to them? Not really.

Timewise it's really hard to invest in an alt anyway. So much of my energy, passion, and inspiration is put into things with Mel. I admit though, about a year ago, I made a random character in somewhere not-Cyrene just for fun, to look into a particular set of roleplay I've never touched. To my extreme surprise, not only was I welcomed, but I made a great home and story with her, obtaining a very intriguing family and delving into all sorts of roleplay I -never- would have had the chance to experience on Mel.

So while having an alternate character or two in the correct circumstances can be appealing, "alting", at least to me, is not.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • People who voted "Yes"... Let's form an A-team?
  • I guess we are the B team due to Nemu and that whole clan
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Zuko said:

I guess we are the B team due to Nemu and that whole clan

B Team was Earionduil's clan.. so.. I guess you can have C!
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Damn. Maybe I'll go with The Z Team. Its the A team reversed and also my first Letter :D