History of the world as seen by Mhaldor through children's eyes.

Okay, so I wrote this some time ago, but It's near impossible to have all the people show up at the same time, and my intent on actually performing this play slipped through.

Either way, I don't want it to never see the light of day so I figured I'd post it here so forumgoers can see it, and hopefully it will be performed at the delosian theater someday!

Players:

Ashtan: the dark haired boy
Cyrene: the cute girl with two pigtails
Hashan: the fair skinned boy
Shallam: Blond tomboy looking girl
Eleusis: the olive skinned boy
Mhaldor: the dark skinned boy
Targossas: the fair haired boy

Curtains lift

The set is a common house, filled with windows, a small stove, a tabletop and an assortment of toys.

Center stage: three middle aged boys and two  girls sit in a circle, discussing matters unable to be heard by the audience. With a sudden shout, Ashtan and Shallam begin fighting, wrestling on the ground and pulling at each others hair. Screaming and kicking the other three sigh and go back to their bisuness, Cyrene content making some food, skipping around to the set oven and making some delicious sweets. Hashan is busy with paperwork and flicking marbles on an abacus, while Eleusis moves and tends to the flowers on the windowseal.

After a brief moment, Shallam and Ashtan untangle, both pouting and turning their backs to each other.

Stage right: A small black boy walks out, panting slightly.

Mhaldor: phew! Sorry I’m late, just got out of the ocean.

Everyone gives their greeting, mostly unmoved. Mhaldor makes eye contact with Ashtan, giving a small smile. They begin to speak as Ashtan plays with a small top.

Mhaldor: Hey that looks like fun, can I play with that?

Ashtan: Sure, here you go.

Mhaldor: thanks! Here, you can have mine!

Mhaldor hands ashtan a toy ball, both seeming to enjoy the small gifts. Ashtan leans over to Mhaldor and whispers something, then both giggling like boys they move over to Shallam. Ashtan crawls behind her and gets on his hands and knees as Mhaldor greets the young lady.

Mhaldor: Hi there!

Shallam: Nice to meet you, I’m Shallam, you’re new here aren’t you?

Mhaldor nods his head, before giggling and pushing the little girl who trips over Ashtan behind her legs and stumbles to the ground. Both the kids giggle and scurry back to their corner, giving each other a high-five and return to playing with their toys.

Curtains close

As the curtains rise, the children all look up at a large man.

Sarapis: So, you take your ribbon and put it around a tree. With your ribbon around the tree you’ll get extra points, so try to get as many as you can and whoever has the most points by dinner time gets extra dessert.

Mhaldor: (whispering) Hey, Hashan, you don’t take mine, I don’t take yours?

Hashan nods his head.

Mhaldor: (whispering) you too Cyrene?

Cyrene: yeah, okay!

Sarapis: Okay, go!

All the kids scamper off into the forest, each placing their ribbons around random spots. Some small shouts and arguments begin to float out from the forest, the kids saying “Hey that’s mine!” and “You’re cheating!” as well as “But you prooomised!” a few more sounds are heard, scuffles and grunts from the forest. Sarapis frowns a bit as the kids come back, each one looking scruffy and ragged. Sarapis frowns and looks at them in dissapointment.

Sarapis: okay.. Well maybe that wasn’t the best of ideas..

Curtains close

Curtains open

The kids are back in the house, each doing their designated duties while Mhaldor and Ashtan shoot little spitballs at  Shallam. Shallam gets up in a huff and moves over to Hashan, knocking the abacus out of his hands.

Hashan: Hey! What was that for, I haven’t done anything to you!

Shallam sticks her tongue out at shallam and does it again. Hashan flusters for a moment, picking up the abacus as Shallam knocks it down again.

Hashan: By the gods would you stop that! What did I do to you!

Shallam doesn’t say anything and sticks her tongue out again, walking back to her corner.

Mhaldor walks over to Hashan, looking down at him.

Mhaldor: What’s got her in such a fit?

Hashan: I don’t know, she is just mad cause I helped you with the ribbon game.

Mhaldor: ah, well I’ll keep her away.

Mhaldor spits another spitball at Shallam who pouts with a vengeance and turns her head away. He laughs and continues for a minute, before he tilts his head up and sniffs.

Mhaldor: oooh, those cookies smell lovely Cyrene..

Mhaldor goes over and  opens the oven, taking the cookies and eagerly stuffing his face.

Cyrene: Hey! You can’t eat those!

Mhaldor: Why not?

Cyrene: They are mine! That’s why!

Mhaldor: Haha, well they are mine now!

Mhaldor eagerly grabs away the rest of the cookies and moves away, sitting in his corner as he eats them. Meanwhile, Shallam is back at it, harassing Hashan.

Shallam: you’re a big jerk for helping Mhaldor! Stop helping him and I’ll stop stealing your abacus.

Hashan: Fine! Jeesh just leave me alone!

Mhaldor stands up, hearing his name.

Mhaldor: Hey! I thought we were friends!

Hashan: I just wanna count my gold!

Mhaldor: well fine then!

Mhaldor moves over to Hashan as Shallam walks away, slapping the abacus out of his hands. Hashan gives a low groan and buries his head in his arms. Mhaldor gives a laugh and walks back to his corner, laughing with Asthan.

Ashtan: Hey, can I have my toy back?

Mhaldor: No way,  you gave it to me!

Ashtan: well I want it back.

Mhaldor: No!

Ashtan smacks mhaldor on the hand with a little stick, then leans over and steals the top back. Hah, mine now!

Mhaldor: You jerk! Then I want my ball back.

Mhaldor leaps over and steals back the toy ball as Asthan gets up, banging him on the head with the wooden stick. Mhaldor runs around, trying to duck out of the way as Ashtan keeps bopping him on the head with the stick, giggling madly and smacking the other people on the way around the room, chasing Mhaldor around.

Curtains close

As the curtains open again, the scene is now in the back yard again, Mhaldor is crouched over some flowers with a magnifying glass, humming to himself as the light burns up small ants and random flowers. Eleusis comes out, shooing him away.

Eleusis: Hey! What are you doing?! That’s my garden!

Mhaldor: So?

Eleusis: So stop lighting it on fire!

Mhaldor: Awww… like your garden so much?

Mhaldor leans over and picks up a flower, pulling it from the ground, roots and all. Eleusis seems furious and grabs a shovel, running after Mhaldor as they run around the garden. Mhaldor jumps in a small spot near the forest adorned with a brazier and sticks his tongue out at Eleusis.

Mhaldor: Hah, safe zone! Can’t touch me.

Eleusis: What do you mean safe zone?

Mhaldor: See this brazier? Means I own this spot of land.

Eleusis: You don’t even like it outside, and where did you even get that?

Mhaldor: Well I like this spot. I built this here. I thought a bit of fire in the jungle might look nice.

Eleusis: You’re a really jerk, Mhaldor.

Mhaldor: Well you’re just a tree hugger.

Eleusis rolls his eyes and  walks back to his garden, trying to undo some of the damage to his plants as Mhaldor sits down near the large brazier and taking a small nap.

Curtains close:

Curtains open

Mhaldor, Ahtan, Cyrene, Eleusis, and Hashan are sitting around, chatting idily. Suddenly, the door bangs open and Shallam comes stomping in, pouting furiously. All the kids look a little taken aback.

Mhaldor: What’s wrong with you, crybaby?

Shallam: My parents tried to tell me what to do!

Mhaldor: So? Mine do that all the time.

Shallam: Yeah well… I didn’t like what they said and I told them if they didn’t change their attitude then I’d just leave them for good!

Mhaldor: Hm, you really aught to listen to what your parents say though.

Shallam: Well little squids keep rocking on the chairs.

Everyone suddenly looks taken aback, staring nervously from the crowd to Shallam.

Mhaldor: *coughs slightly* Well, you see it’s important because…

Shallam: And then we were thinking about heading up near Isaia to fetch a new wagon for the cows.

Eleusis leans in, murmuring “What are you doing…”

Shallam looks around, scratching her head just a bit. She pulls out a small script and scans through it, frowning.

Curtains drop, and the producer comes out on main stage.

Producer: “My apologies ladies and gentlemen, there seems to be a small problem. We‘ll be back in just a moment.”

The producer steps back behind the curtains, as small whispers turn to shouts.

Producer’s Voice: Shallam! What is the meaning of this!

Shallam’s voice: I don’t know, it’s not my fault! My lines keep changing!

Producer’s voice: What… let me see that. -papers ruffle- Ah, you silly girl. This isn’t your script, it’s the holy codex! No wonder the lines kept changing, this thing has never been consistent with itself.

Shallam gives several small puts

Shallam: But sir, this is far too much for me to remember, and how much longer do we have? I want to go home, this is getting boring.

Her ranting continues for a bit longer, the director’s voice getting a bit more frustrated before finally shouting.

Producer’s voice: Fine! We’ll just get someone else to replace you!

A voice is heard, along with a small “Aiieee!!” before a door slams and you hear the wiping of hands against trousers. The producer comes back out on stage and bows slightly. Take a small intermission folks, and we’ll be back shortly with the final act!.

INTERMISSION.
Serve guests refreshments

Curtains raise

All Five of the children sit around a campfire, patting Hashan on the back as he cries into his knees.

Cyrene: There there Hashan, it’s going to be okay.

Eleusis: Don’t worry about her, you’ll do fine on your own.

Mhaldor: Delos was a better man for her anyways.

Hashan busts out crying again as the rest of the kids shoot Mhaldor a dirty glance.

Mhaldor: What? I’m bad at this…

Footsteps are suddenly heard in the darkness, coming closer to the campfire. Everyone rolls their eyes just a bit as they warm their hands. “Shh.. Here comes Targossas..”

Targossas: Hey there guys!

Everyone: Hi Targossas..

Targossas: So what are we doing? Telling scary stories? Let’s have some fun!

Cyrene: I’m still mad at you for taking all my toys…

Targossas: Aw, don’t be mad about that. They are better with me anyways.

Hashan: Yeah.. I’m not really in the mood for you right now, I’m a bit sad.

Targossas: Aw come on, it’s just a bit of fun, I didn’t mean all that stuff I did, well kinda, but it was really all just in fun!

Everyone mumbles a bit, scooting back and shifting uncomfortably.

Mhaldor: Well… that’s been enough fun for one night, I think I’m going to go to bed.

Mhaldor gets up with a yawn and crawls into a large tent, turning out the lamp in his tent. Shortly after, small snores are heard.

Targossas grins widely, snickering just a bit.

Targossas: Hey guys… watch this.

Targossas goes over and grabs Mhaldor’s backpack, moving behind the tent to hide himself from the audience. All the characters cringe awfully, looking towards Targossas.

Cut lights.

Draw curtains.

As the lights begin to brighten once again, a shrill cry is heard from Mhaldor.

Mhaldor: By the gods! Which one of you used my pack as a latrine while I slept!

Curtains rise, all characters bow and exit the stage.

Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."

Comments

• Reminds me of the business exercise involving the six thinking hats (each colour represents a personality type and thought process). I like it :)
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• The violent and mischievous Mhaldor being represented by a black kid is a bit too close to popular racist perceptions of black children for comfort. If you change that detail though, it's great. 
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Mhaldor can be an Indian!
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• That was really cool! I enjoyed that immensely. Pretty accurate actually.lol

• edited November 2013
    Direv said:
    The violent and mischievous Mhaldor being represented by a black kid is a bit too close to popular racist perceptions of black children for comfort. If you change that detail though, it's great. 
    I sincerely hope you are joking. Because if you're not you are showing a huge level of ignorance. I would never in any aspect of writing seclude a specific race from a character part. He was really not a lot more mischievous or violent than ashtan was. That mindset is exactly what causes inequality in the first place and by pointing things like that out it just allows it to live on.

Plus let's look at the REAL reference here. Sartan is black.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    There's really nothing to stop you from performing that at the Delosian theatre, in all honesty. I enjoyed it, personally.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Jurixe said:
    There's really nothing to stop you from performing that at the Delosian theatre, in all honesty. I enjoyed it, personally.
    really, the only thing preventing me is having all the same people who were interested in it show up at the same time! 7+ people are hard to coordinate
  • Aepas said:

Jurixe said:
    really, the only thing preventing me is having all the same people who were interested in it show up at the same time! 7+ people are hard to coordinate
    Are you looking for people to perform it with you? Or do you already have them?
    Achieved dragon on the 13th of Aeguary, 634 - aged 21 and 1 month and 21 days.

Elder dragon on the 6th of Chronos 635 - aged 22 and 8 months and 14 days.
  • Aepas said:
    Direv said:
    The violent and mischievous Mhaldor being represented by a black kid is a bit too close to popular racist perceptions of black children for comfort. If you change that detail though, it's great. 
    I sincerely hope you are joking. Because if you're not you are showing a huge level of ignorance. I would never in any aspect of writing seclude a specific race from a character part. He was really not a lot more mischievous or violent than ashtan was. That mindset is exactly what causes inequality in the first place and by pointing things like that out it just allows it to live on.

Plus let's look at the REAL reference here. Sartan is black.
    Sorry, it wasn't the place for me to call you out, should have messaged you in private.

You're a good storyteller, and you should definitely keep writing. 
  • Cathy said:
    Aepas said:

Jurixe said:
    Are you looking for people to perform it with you? Or do you already have them?
    I'm looking for new people. Keep your eyes on the announce board! I would ask here but that just seems bad taste :P
  • LiancaLianca Fire and Spice
    Also, Delos theatre is currently unusable while a new system for theatre manager is in the works. (I heard that back in August, still waiting.)
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "I want you to know, the Garden reaction to that one is: What?"
    The voice of Melantha, Goddess of the Seasons, echoes amid the rustle of leaves, "That's the censored version."
  • Loved it! Good read...however, you're distracting me from my midterm essays D:
  • I loved it, great work Aepas!

• Could use a run through spellcheck before being performed.