Let's see your GUI!

edited October 2013 in Tech Support
I know for the grizzled vets of Achaea seeing different gui's starts to become a blend of monotony. However for those new to coding seeing a homemade gui can be inspiring. I couldn't find any of the old gui threads buried anywhere to res so here is a new one. My own skill with mudlet is moderate at best but I hope some of the experts out there will be willing to show off some of the trickier stuff!

Comments

• Still pretty plain, but improved a bit since the last topic like this.

The channel capture and IC time/date/weather window is replaced by a sailing map/status window when I'm on a ship.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    That time and date updates real time?

• Kresslack said:
    That time and date updates real time?
    The time updates every Achaean minute (2.5 seconds), and syncs with the various day/night messages. On login, it estimates the time based on the previous known times (which is usually pretty accurate, but might be off due to timewarps, game lag, downtime, etc.), until the next message to sync to for the exact time.
  • ValdusValdus Australia
    I miss my Zmud UI. It wasn't amazing, but it had some nice bars, whisper window, etc.

Now I'm using SVO in Mudlet (First time using Mudlet) and it's just the main window with a mapping window next to it. :<

Viva la Bluef.
  • edited November 2013
    Iocun said:
    That's a really cool idea.
    Thanks. I'd always wanted to do it but couldn't get it to work right in Zmud. Was pretty simple in mudlet though.

Right now I'm working on a table for timing ship room movement taking into account speed. Then I can create overlays showing exact turn routes as well being able to time turn starts before they are needed for optimal sailing in tight areas.
  • After letting some of the comments on the barebones mudlet thread marinate I decided to take a "less is more" approach. My new setup aims to reduce some of the eye strain from looking for info all over the screen. (I'm also mainly re-posting because of issues with photobucket causing my first post to no longer show an image.)

• Perhaps the coolest thing of all was, though, is that the map wasn't just copied over line by line into another miniconsole as it came in. Because the game was so slow, the entire map wouldn't come "at once". It'd come in at least two noticeable parts. The result was unpleasant to look at, especially for someone playing in Australia.

So what I did was actually capture the entire map data as a table - the character position, background and foreground colours (in an optimized manner) - and then once the whole map was received, re-created it in an instant. Much more pleasant to look at - and having the entire map in memory also allowed me to do all kinds of fancy things with it.
  • @Vadimuses too much to quote but I like it. Well done!
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    @Vadimuses: How did you split and store the map data like you described? I would love to be able to do something like that.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    All these GUI pics make me jealous. I have none. :|
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Taraus said:
    You aren't the only one.

My super fancy seafaring gui:

(It also doubles as my non-seafaring gui. It toggles itself by turning off the ocean map whenever I disembark.)
    You made me call my mom to make sure she was still alive... I came out look like a nutcase. How was I know that you werent really targetting her?
  • edited November 2013
    Just finished up the wind tracking the way I wanted it for sailing. The inner blue circle is the wind direction and speed. the red pointer/line is the direction the ship is facing. Top right compass only shows available directions. the bottom green circles next to the health bar are balance/equilibrium. Still a long way to go.

and here is with normal map not sailing:

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Zulah, I think I remember seeing your old(I guess Zmud) GUI and I thought that one looked awesome as well. I especially liked it because of the image elements you used gave it an old naval feel.

• Kresslack said:
    Zulah, I think I remember seeing your old(I guess Zmud) GUI and I thought that one looked awesome as well. I especially liked it because of the image elements you used gave it an old naval feel.
    Because of the way I setup my functions to load my GUI I have adjustable "themes" One uses nautical elements, one uses fantasy, one uses samurai, this is my "modern" theme
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    god, how do you manage all that, I can't even get tabbedchat to work >.>
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Weekends over, last GUI update for a bit. Took a capture without EQ to show how the eq/bal buttons by the health look. Limb tracker half done shows about to break(yellow) and broken(red)

Worried the ship area looks a touch cluttered. Might refine that some more. Suggestions welcome. I'll have all the assets for this theme available to download in a single .pdf when it's done. Trying to keep them well organized.

• ValdusValdus Australia
    I'd like to be the first person to extend their thanks for the effort you're putting into this and the fact that you're simply going to make it available to the public. I am certain that anyone who uses it will be extremely grateful.

You have inspired me to look into creating my own GUI. So has @Tesha . So yay for GUI customization!

Viva la Bluef.
  • this stuff actually makes me want a GUI. I've never had one.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • how would people recommend starting to learn how to make a GUI? I have no clue in hell what features I should even be using/what I should be reading

• Nakari said:
    how would people recommend starting to learn how to make a GUI? I have no clue in hell what features I should even be using/what I should be reading
    I just posted a simple seafaring window in the forums if you're a sailor otherwise start reading about Geyser or Vyzor in mudlet. Just basic labels is a good placer to start.
  • I started learning about GUIs by dissecting the vyzor demo gui and expanding on that. In fact it's still very visible in my GUI as you see above.