It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
I brought this up in another thread, but I think it better deserves its own thread in the correct category!
HOLD BREATH is basically one of those defenses that most people with systems automatically just keep up whenever there's any threat of combat. It's almost free to put up, except that it requires balance and costs unnecessary lag for everyone involved. Most people gag it client-side, but if you don't, it's fairly distracting as well!
My suggestion is to shift this reapplication to the server side to reduce unnecessary lag and to reduce the penalties associated with having a suboptimal connection speed or client. There are a few possible approaches I've got, although I readily welcome more!
1. It could just reapply itself at the first moment it becomes possible, taking a small fraction of time to do so. It'd still be lost after every action, but it wouldn't send out lines or require HOLD BREATH - it'd just automatically regenerate X seconds (I'm thinking 0.05) after it becomes possible to re-apply (eg. once you have balance or equilibrium back). That way, it's still possible to choke someone who's dashing around or otherwise acting, for example.
2. I think it's somewhat uncommon to get a choke out on someone over them sipping health or doing other free actions aside from movement, which tends to be fast and regular enough that there's a significant gap where HOLD BREATH would be down. If people agree with me, maybe it could just be up whenever you have balance, equilibrium, aren't asthma'd (the existing requirements, in other words), and (as an additional requirement) you have full movement balance.
3. If it's common belief that even movement doesn't cause kai chokes (I beg to differ, but maybe people're doing something like NORTH;HOLD BREATH and it's working), then it could just be up whenever it'd normally be raisable (eg. on balance/eq, etc.)
As far as information, it could be:
1. A configurable option, so some people can still be spammed with people inhaling and exhaling all the time if they really want to be.
2. Maybe you can just see if someone's holding their breath via LOOK or as part of the room description, so the information is still available but not always there.
3. Maybe we don't need to know that people are holding their breath unless they emote it!
I realize that one strange weakness of HOLD BREATH is courtesy - that is, people lower it in relaxed conditions to avoid pissing off other people. That could be maintained with an irregular message (kind of perfume). I think that would definitely still add the disadvantage of pissing people off in settings where HOLD BREATH would be impolite (such as a senate meeting). Alternatively, maybe it could be given some kind of endurance drain or something so that there's an advantage to not keeping up 24/7. That's more for ACC-type folks to discuss, though. I just want it to be less spammy!