What's cooking?

Comments

• I see one's missing already.  What was it like?
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • That one was the one my husband "sampled" (which in his speak means to down it) I've had one, but they're pretty good, the frosting was -really- rich.
    meh

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Have a recipe for us? Usually once a month or so, I try cooking/baking something new, and this seems like a great candidate. I'm craving both banana and peanut butter, as is.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Well... cake was duncan hines white cake, pudding was banana cream jello... candied bacon= roll bacon in brown sugar, sprinkle with coarse salt, bake at 325 for 20 minutes or so, frosting was from here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/peanut-butter-frosting/
    meh

• Trilliana said:
    That one was the one my husband "sampled" (which in his speak means to down it) I've had one, but they're pretty good, the frosting was -really- rich.
    We use to have a similiar thing when mum would slice up a delicious roast pork/lamb/other kind of meat.  "Offcuts", pieces that were clearly either too small, or too deformed to be put on a plate for dinner as that would insult the person.  We did it to help out...honest.
    Trilliana said:

Well... cake was duncan hines white cake, pudding was banana cream jello... candied bacon= roll bacon in brown sugar, sprinkle with coarse salt, bake at 325 for 20 minutes or so, frosting was from here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/peanut-butter-frosting/

I've never had a "filling" in things like cupcakes, but I'm feeling adventurous. How do you do it?

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Melodie said:
    Well... cake was duncan hines white cake, pudding was banana cream jello... candied bacon= roll bacon in brown sugar, sprinkle with coarse salt, bake at 325 for 20 minutes or so, frosting was from here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/peanut-butter-frosting/
    I've never had a "filling" in things like cupcakes, but I'm feeling adventurous. How do you do it?
    Usually, you would fill the tray halfway with the mixture, add the dollop of filling and then add the rest of the mixture on top, then bake.
  • cook the cupcakes as normal, then once cooled, I took a paring knife and cut the tops off and pulled out some of the inside, made the pudding while they were cooling and put the pudding in a ziplock and... the trick is to put the cut tip for the pudding in the cupcake a bit to fill it completely. Or spoon it in like this:

meh

edited July 2013
    Hmm! Intriguing.

Time to write up a grocery list. Thank you both!
  • I always forget you guys call custards puddings. It makes for some confusing conversations with my friends across the pond.
  • Berenene said:
    I always forget you guys call custards puddings. It makes for some confusing conversations with my friends across the pond.
    What I usually call pudding would be things like Jello pudding that are thickened with gelatin or some sort of starch, rather than eggs. Egg-thickened versions are called custard even over here, I think.
  • If I make something with eggs, I tend to call it custard (only exclusion is banana pudding because calling it custard confuses people)... homemade custard is amazing though. But the filling is Jello pudding, so pudding it is
    meh

• AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    Experiencing pre-final interview jitters, so I decided to make myself something awesome for breakfast. I then forgot about taking a picture of it until now. Scrambled tofu seasoned with tamari, cumin, turmeric, kala namak, sea salt, black pepper, tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions, red peppers, and feta cheese. There was also a vegan crumpet smeared with not-so-vegan cookie butter, but I ate that while I was waiting for the tofu scramble to finish. It's a fat-kid morning.

My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • This thread will make me fat ><
    Everything looked so good that I scrolled through as fast as possible to keep myself from feeling hungry.  
    It didn't work. 
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • I just put $26 deli mustard onto a fried spam sandwich.

It felt so wrong..but yet it tasted so right.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Brats cooking, with sauted onion and green pepper. And of course....rum.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Kresslack, I see no rum or culinary weapons. Is this really your kitchen?
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Much better!
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    I'm attempting CPR on this thread instead of making a new one because I happen to like people posting what they cook and I actually have a question on recipes.

I recently got put on a diet that basically cuts out gluten, dairy, bread, pasta, noodles, white rice, potatoes, chops, and rissoles.

Learning what I can and can't eat now has been interesting and results in me spending hours at the supermarket reading labels. However, I've never been huge on cooking and I figure now is a pretty ideal time to learn.

Google happily spits out recipes for me but I was curious if anyone else had similar dietary restrictions and where they get recipes from? I am not quite so game to try adapting recipes just yet, so I'm sort of looking for a good source online or recipe books to look through.

• @Kyrra I really like this here, if you click on Advanced search you can narrow bits down so it suits your requirements. They all look so healthy and wholesome! Only downside is that it uses American type ingredients and measurements which I'm not overly familiar with.
  • @Kyrra - sounds pretty similar to a ketogenic diet. I follow one pretty closely. My favorite resource is actually reddit.com/r/keto.

I often live off of eggs, fatty meats,some cheese, and tons of veg, and lost about 130lbs and put on 25lbs of muscle over the past year and a half.
  • edited October 2013
    Haven't made this for awhile. (Peanut butter caramel with almonds) I think tomorrow may be a good day to make it along with the new apple butter recipe I received.

• Considering this is the first time I've ever tried to make anything like this..here's hoping it comes out well in 2 hours! I think the popcorn will have to wait until tomorrow.

As for the recipe...

5 lbs. tart apples
    3 cups apple cider
    4 cups sugar
    3 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon cloves

Wash, peel, and quarter apples.Bring apples and cider to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes. Puree apple mixture.Add sugar and spices, mixing well. Pour puree into a shallow baking pan and bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours, or until thick to hold its shape. Pour into hot sterile jars and seal. Makes about 10 6 oz. jars.

imageimageimageimage
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Homemade chicken noodle soup. It's that time of year for soups and chilies galore.

This is the ratatouille I made about a year ago. It was quite wonderful.
    It goes: zucchini, (yellow) squash, red&yellow bell pepper, zucchini, squash, eggplant, (repeat 60 more times). Tomato paste + chopped onion + garlic + olive oil + lil water mixed up underneath, and thyme, salt, and pepper on top.
    Thinking back, I'd probably add a little dill on top too.
This discussion has been closed.