New Artefact - Grip of Returning

Something I think would be nice for people who have top quality forged weapons for certain stats that exceed artefact stats (rapier speed, battleaxe damage) would be the option to protect their time/money investment without giving them a permanent forged weapon. Attach the grip to a weapon and the weapon is now returning, but still decays at the same rate. The grip can only be removed by the owner of the artefact, and should be clearly visible when looking at the weapon. This way thieves don't accidentally target returning weapons and people don't try to buy weapons that would return (this would fall under scams of course, but just as a first level defense). Another situation that would be avoided would be the panic of "Holy crap did I lose my 247 speed rapier to a Death Knight because my fist sigil decayed?" It should also be able to be removed, so you can give the weapon away or sell it if you change class.

I think it would be a good, low impact idea. Thoughts?
Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

Comments

• Haven't heard of anyone steal a weapon in a long while, but it's a decent idea, I guess. Pricing would be an issue I think- this seems like something that would end up getting marked up way higher than it deserves.
  • edited October 2013
    I like the idea.

It would be cool though if a pickpocketed weapon with a grip of returning would have a certain delay on returning to its owner (like one RL day?). That way, pickpocketing a returning weapon could still be used to strategically weaken a fighter for a while, but without the huge annoyance of making him lose a super expensive weapon for good. Actually, that should be a feature of all returning items: a successful pickpocket should cause their returning to be halted for a day (non-stackable of course, so a thief can't have his friends pickpocket it again from himself).

I'd love to see strategical artie pickpocketing!
  • You could make it a sigil similar in use to the sigil of suppression currently available in the Shop of Wonders.  At roughly the same price (3mc), it'd be a bit more expensive than just making an item nondecay/resetting which would deter it from being used as a theft prevention mechanism on everything but the items that can't be made nondecay/resetting, which are really only enchanted goods and forged goods.
  • Iocun said:
    I like the idea.

It would be cool though if a pickpocketed weapon with a grip of returning would have a certain delay on returning to its owner (like one RL day?). That way, pickpocketing a returning weapon could still be used to strategically weaken a fighter for a while, but without the huge annoyance of making him lose a super expensive weapon for good. Actually, that should be a feature of all returning items: a successful pickpocket should cause their returning to be halted for a day (non-stackable of course, so a thief can't have his friends pickpocket it again from himself).

I'd love to see strategical artie pickpocketing!
    I'm not sure there's much value in strategically making people log out for an entire day, which would be the result if certain artefacts were stolen.
  • Yeah, I guess that would be the reality. My idea sounded cool in my head though :(
  • I love this idea, and there's still time to add it to the SoW if they want to do that route.
    Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
  • Call me biased, but it seems to me that item theft is a low enough chance that people don't need more to ways to protect those items. There are very simple reflexes one can use to prevent me from stealing your rapier, and even if you don't have those, the chance of the item theft working is pretty small. However, I do like the idea of an artefact that acts more like a permanent fist sigil. That prevents you from losing said high-quality rapier to a deathknight or a monk or someone because your fist decayed, but still forces you to take those few precautionary steps to keep it from being stolen.

• edited October 2013
    A band like that for cheap, I'm iffy about... but honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing a few things implemented together.

1) allow resetting for 50 credits without permanent for forged weapons. (this may be possible already? help customisations seems to indicate otherwise)

2) create a 'band of returning' for forged weapons that costs 500 (or 1000+ if it's removable) credits. if implemented as non-removable, the band would fall back into your inventory when the item it's on decays. removable would function like a blademaster band.

Why? It's a little bit of a stretch, but look at a dagger of reincarnation vs a gem of transmutation or a gilded page vs grimoire of adaptation. Ten times the price for an artie that is an infinite use version of a one-use artie. And honestly, I don't see why resetting can't be done alone. (unless as stated above, it already can?)

Oh, and the band should also act like a permanent fist sigil.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • This should be expensive if it's removable, since you could still remove the band and stockroom the item to keep a forged weapon for rl years.

• edited October 2013
    Silas said:
    This should be expensive if it's removable, since you could still remove the band and stockroom the item to keep a forged weapon for rl years.
    I don't know if I'm alone in feeling this, but even as a knight, I hated the idea of putting insane forged weapons in a stockroom to last forever.

Not sure what precisely will happen with the weapon overhaul, but if it involves limiting and somewhat controlling stats, I'd honestly like to see forged weapons implement blademaster band style arties instead of all the different artie weapons.

In which case my above proposed concept (and the OP) would be pointless - but still.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Returning automatically includes non-decay through the customisation system 
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
This discussion has been closed.