Fishing troubles

Okay so I threw everything I have 838 lessons into survival it's for RP reasons but I was also hoping to make some money on fishing to subsist on. Well thus far I have caught a few but I am not even breaking even :) The cost of bait outweighs the profit I make on selling the fish. Am I really unlucky and should keep trying or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• What type of bait are you using, and are you fishing in rivers or lakes? Without trans survival, it might be best top stick to small bait on rivers, but medium bait on lakes might be okay. Even with trans survival though, it's not great profit.
  • I'm using worms and crabs and using a lake.Are there places that I can by cheaper bait or that buy fish for better prices than the fishing shed(LANDMARK)?
  • All fishing shops have the same prices, though you might find players willing to sell cheaper bait. Crabs are medium bait, which might be too difficult without higher survival, so I'd stick to worms, minnows, and sand fleas. On the other hand, the profit on small bait is tiny, and might not be worth your time anyways. Unless it's more for RP than profit, or you just enjoy fishing for some reason, I wouldn't recommend it as a way to earn gold without trans survival, and even then it's slow.

As for what you might be doing wrong, HELP FISHING tells you pretty much what you need to do. Tease a bit over 2 seconds after a nibble, jerk a bit less than 2 seconds after a strike, reel as fast and as often as you can.
  • For non-seafaring fishing, the best profit I have found is medium bait on rivers.

You can also do medium bait in lakes in order to earn deepsea bait you can then resell to other players, but the profit at the fishing shed will be lower than river medium.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I'm not sure how profitable fishing on land is, most people seem to do it for fun. Profitable fishing is usually deep-sea fishing, which you'd have to invest into Seafaring to do as well as find a vessel to use or tag along on. You can make a lot of deep-sea fishing, and I've transed some of my skills out on it in the past, but it's an investment first with the payoff coming later. I'm not in game, so not sure what city you're part of, but they all have a Navy so someone should be able to help you get started if you're interested.