How to upload images / youtube videos into the forums [img heavy]

Hey guys,

Seems to be a trend of people having difficulties with uploading images and video files into the forums to be able to be previewed in the post. Thought I might pop up a mini tute on it here. I can't say how to do it via a smartphone, but on a computer, this is at least something. Maybe. Iono.

OK! IMAGES!

1) There's a few ways of uploading pics. If you downloaded or made a screenshot of a pic, use an image hosting site to upload it there like imgur, tinypic, flickr or photobucket. I'll use TinyPic:

2) Copy the Direct Link (in Photobucket it's on the top right hand side). Don't include the [ img ] tags etc if using HTML Rich Text layout

3)  In the Comment section, click the Polaroid icon

4) Insert and paste that link you saved into the URL field.

5) Click Submit, resize by clicking on the image once and click-dragging the corners, and Post Comment.

Tada!!

Hope this helps a little bit for uploading images.

Next up. How to upload Youtube videos.

— Wyst.

"Faded away like the stars in the morning,
 Losing their light in the glorious sun,
 Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
 Only remembered for what we have done."

Comments

• Isn't embedding a youtube video in a post literally pasting the youtube link?
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • VIDEOS!

This one's a lot easier. To upload Youtube videos into the post itself:

1) In Youtube, copy the URL itself on the top of your browser

2) Paste the link directly into the Comment box here. This will work if in Rich Text mode.

3) Post Comment and it'll show up.

Done!

Oh and @Ellodin, some people have had trouble with even that. I think it might be if it's running on a playlist or something. This doesn't work at all if on a phone. :(

• For videos from youtube, I go to the SHARE button under the video and grab that link instead of the one on the address bar. It works better for me, personally.
    meh

• Share doesn't work for me for some reason. I just get the link showing raw in the post.

• JozlynJozlyn out of here.
    nice spider
     yes, sir.
  • Are you two using different browsers, or OS'? That makes no sense to me..
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • Mozilla Firefox + Mac OS X. This works on a Windows system too though. I just have a themed bg is all @Jonners :)

• thanks for this. I've been feeling like such a chump posting raw links.
  • You can create a spoiler box by putting spoiler tags in square brackets around content: image

Spoilered content can be multiple paragraphs long, and may include embedded images and youtube videos. You cannot place a spoiler tag within another spoiler tag, as far as I know. Oh hey you can totally embed a spoiler tag within another spoiler tag. Awesome.

[spoiler][spoiler]image[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Bonus: if you want to manipulate quotes etc, beyond what you can achieve by fiddling around with a post, click the 'show source' button to edit the HTML.
    Occasionally, if you put the start and end tags on separate lines, you'll end up with the spoiler box extending all the way to the end of the post, but not actually covered. I've generally seen this with images, but not sure if it's exclusive to them. It can usually be fixed by having the start and end spoiler tags, with content between, all on a single line. (I'm too lazy to make images to illustrate this, sorry).
  • I'm using firefox and Win 8 (8.1 now, but not much difference between the two) but honestly, it could be both that work. I haven't experimented yet.
    meh

• Oh, there's also a way to fix a lot of the quoting problems people have (at least the ones that arise from using formatting tags in the reply). Not sure if this is the best place to explain it, or whether my explanation would make sense without illustrations, though.
  • We should make this the forum tutorial thread. So if people have any hints and tips on "How to forum" then we can post them up here.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Deer wisterya

how do i forumz

thx

• Where's the any key!
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • Jonners said:
    Where's the any key!
    Here
    Hiroma tells you, "I just got to listen to someone complain about your deadly axekick being the bane of their existence."
    Archdragon Mizik Corten, Herald of Ruin says, "Man, that was a big axk."
    Hellrazor Cain de Soulis, Sartan's Hammer says, "Your [sic] a beast."
  • Wysteria said:
    VIDEOS!

This one's a lot easier. To upload Youtube videos into the post itself:

1) In Youtube, copy the URL itself on the top of your browser

2) Paste the link directly into the Comment box here. This will work if in Rich Text mode.

3) Post Comment and it'll show up.

Done!

Oh and @Ellodin, some people have had trouble with even that. I think it might be if it's running on a playlist or something. This doesn't work at all if on a phone. :(
    It won't do it if it's a link. Some browsers seem to be making it a link and some don't. Not sure why. Select it, and next to the hyperlink button, there's a 'remove hyperlink' one. Click it, and the youtube video will post.

Example of one not working.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • You can also right click and use "paste as plain text" instead of just "paste".
  • It works for me. Weird

• Say, can you guys not simply use the 'attach a file' button below the input box to upload a picture to the forums? No need to go to the trouble of uploading to an external file-hosting site if so. 

Simply hit the attach-a-file link, then a choose file, mouseover the thumbnail that comes up, and select 'insert' image. 

That will insert the image, in-line, into your post. You can then hover over the thumbnail again and hit 'delete' to get rid of the attachment (which does not take the picture out of your post).

• @Sarapis we don't have that option
  • Hrm, well, no wonder people have had trouble figuring it out. Let me see if I can enable it for ordinary users.
  • Ok, check now!
  • edited March 2014
    gonna try this again...
  • Thank you @Sarapis! Now it'll be easier for everyone :D