Tells consistency while splicing/etc.

10/14/20:24 Your bug report (detail: nametells seem to interrupt splice while 
TELL <person> does not. Could this get fixed for that, and if applicable, 
similar things like implanting totems?) - has been removed because it is not a 
bug (usually meaning that this is the way things are intended to be). Please 
accept our apologies for any inconvenience or misunderstanding that may be 
involved.

This bug may have been misunderstood, but I meant that nametells should not interrupt splicing since tells do not. Is there a reason this couldn't be changed?
I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.

Comments

• CarmellCarmell Eastern Washington
    you have to use Tell person for those it's not a bug.  name tells is different and isn't allowed in many things where you can't do anything but a few things.
  • Worm splice/cancel limitations are very weird and inconsistent, probably mostly because they work on a fixed whitelist, which makes some types of commands hard to add. For instance, all custom emotes are possible (assumedly since it's easy to whitelist the "emote" command) while the predefined ones aren't (since they all use a different command).

I think that whole system needs a rework of sorts. It's currently quite impossible to guess which commands break it and which don't unless you try them all out and write them down. 
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Most things break concentration which is why they interrupt the process. You shift your focus from splicing to something else.

There isn't much more leeway with toteming and I think somewhat less for city repairing. Though with repairing, there's a chunky WP cost that lets you continue from where you stopped.

If you don't use TELL, it assumes that you're trying to do another action. It does make sense.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• EldEld
    edited October 2013
    Daeir said:
    I feel that forcing the player to not interact (I know I chirp on about interaction all the time but it's the little things yo) in any skill is a bit pointless, and would like to see splicing/implanting/uprooting made more interactive somehow.
    But how better to force people to interact than to sit them down and give them a chunk of 15/20/30 minutes where they're basically not allowed to do anything BUT talk to people?
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I multitask while toteming and room repairing. Apart from what I am doing and talking to people in the room, I am also usually doing paperwork, playing around with customisation designs, and if it's uprooting, sometimes I'll go for a shower and wash my hair before the totem is out of the ground.

It's actually a pretty good opportunity to be productive while still working on other things. As opposed to sitting around afk waiting for something to happen, and generally being less interactive.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Wait... toteming while afk is allowed?

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Katzchen said:
    Wait... toteming while afk is allowed?
    Going afk while toteming doesn't seem to be any different from going afk while doing anything else. I would assume that as long as you're not finishing one task and automatically starting the next while afk, you're fine.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I uproot totem and it requires no other input from me so I don't see why afking wouldn't be permitted. It's not like forging where you have to type forge on balance.

• Yeah I recognized that on the coding end it would take reworking. The sucky part is that if your TELL target is suddenly disconnected you get a "oops" message from achaea instead of sending a tell, which I guess would interrupt it anyway.

So maybe there's no way to do it without changing the nature of tells/nametells. But in that case, can party/clan tells be enabled?
  • Why only those? All channels, please.
  • So this just in... I can do nametells without interrupting Tarot inscribing, as well as checking SCORE, news, and messages.
    Actions interrupt it of course.
    Maybe that sort of format could be allowed? Because channel tells can't require more IC concentration than a TELL, and the other functions wouldn't necessarily require IC concentration.