Scrap metal denizens

There are a lot of items that can be forged that do not have a smelt value. Terrible bucklers/daggers/whips and other things offer little or nothing in return, so they end up claiming precious text-space in Achaea.

My brilliant suggestion:

Several denizens that takes scrap forged items and will pay you either 30% of the commodity cost for them (rounding down), or the equivalent in gold (at the rate of mainland lowest price).

GIVE 50 WHIP TO PAK
"Excellent!" Pak exclaims.
"Would you like gold or commodities for these?" Pak asks.
You say, "Gold."
"Alright!" Pak says as he takes a moment to think.
Pak mutters, "495 for the wood..."(not necessary but I kind of want an audible mention as to what the denizen is calculating [plus I think this process should take time])
"750 for the iron." Pak continues.
"1485 for leather." Pak mumbles.
"OK!" Pak exlaims as he hands you a small bag of gold.
or
You say, "Chocolate."
"Umm, I'm sorry," Pak says awkwardly "but I can only give you gold or commodities. Which would you like?"
You say, "Commodities."
"Alright!" Pak exclaims.
Pak ruffles through his vault of commodities.
"Aha!" announces Pak. "Here you are."
Pak gives you 15 iron bars.
Pak gives you 15 wood commodities.
Pak gives you 45 strips of leather.

In the situation where someone gives Pak just one or two daggers/bucklers (whips would still give 1 leather per whip back):
"I'm sorry," Pak says as he hands you back your items, "but you're going to have to bring me more than that if you want anything."

Comments

• I suggest a few of these denizens be placed about Sapience and only one person should be able to interact with them at a time. (Maybe one per city).

This would allow non-forging adventurers to get something for those near-decayed things they have (or stumbled upon). Also, if someone stole someone's fullplate way back when (or found it, evidence is circumstantial), they can get something for it without talking to some penny pinching forger or the person they took it from.

It also creates a solution to the *problem of bucklers/daggers having zero smelt value.
    *not a huge problem, but it's sort of annoying.
  • Commodity values:
    Steel - 91 gold per
    Wood - 33 gold per
    Iron - 50 gold per
    Leather - 33 gold per
    Obsidian - 25? gold per
    Cloth - 25 gold per
    Gold - 166 gold per

• I would love this and I don't even forge.  Or get crap forged much.
  • HhaosHhaos Cortland, Ohio
    Can we have a 10,000 likes button please?
  • If I forge daggers, I will sell the 1% of them that I can and hold onto the rest until they decay or drop then all in one room somewhere. (maybe someone will buy bulk trashy daggers? :D) So I end up with 200+ daggers (I currently have 205) in random packs that will either own me when they decay, or fall out of my inventory because of a weird bug that's being fixed.
  • A Rufio for forged crap? Sounds good.

• foreseen issue: give 50 weapon/armour to Pak
    Pak gives them back and says "Whoa now, one kind of thing at a time. You're going to confuse me with all of this variety."

Or I guess do the extra coding to allow this.
  • Peak said:
    foreseen issue: give 50 weapon/armour to Pak
    Pak gives them back and says "Whoa now, one kind of thing at a time. You're going to confuse me with all of this variety."

I think giving multiple items at once to denizens is already impossible.
  • edited September 2012
    Wysteria said:
    I initially thought this was a request for "scrap metal" denizens, as in, denizens made of scrap metal. That idea would also make it badass but not very relevant.

Oh well.
    Maybe not scraps, but I'll have to show you something about 1000cr into the future.
    NO STEALING MY IDEA

• Sena said:
    Peak said:
    foreseen issue: give 50 weapon/armour to Pak

I think giving multiple items at once to denizens is already impossible.
    What about the code for the ratters?  SELL BUCKLERS TO DOOD or something.
  • Multiple items as in GIVE 50 PLANT TO DOODx3 will do:
    You give 13 of thisplant to Dood.
    You give 12 of thatplant to Dood.
    You give 2 of theotherplant to Dood.
  • While I can see the appeal, I'm not particularly confident this would ever get approved or implemented. Less in-depth solutions to achieve the same goal (getting a return from low-quality forged items that can't be smelted due to commodity amounts) have been rejected in the past (bulk smelting, for example).

I think there's more chance of, as Silas put it, 'a Rufio for forged crap' being implemented, where'd you'd only be able to get a percentage of the base commodity cost for a forged item back, possibly modified by the number of months left on the item.
  • SamakhulisSamakhulis Greeley, Colorado
    edited September 2012
    I had a similar idea a while back, where butchering wire men on Clockwork would give you steel rather than meat. Dolls give you obsidian or something similar to porcelain or glass. Butcher dryads/treekin for wood. Butcher bone golems for...bone. Why not? You can already butcher those vine monsters in Azdun for veggies after all.
    Remind me to dig out 1) my two parody contributions and 2) the Colorado 2014 photos! Both threads are gone, and I'm sad.

Star Wars COULD be boring...but it isn't. Here's why I don't tell people that I'm talking with an NPC. Oh, and I never actually met Ethaya, but her comics are absolutely amazing!!

Speaking of rare minerals: Defuperine - That candy coating that you find on the skin of overzealous adventurers who put on so many layers of defenses upon awakening that you wonder how they're able to move afterward.

• Thinking about it, I definitely want more than one of these, but I don't think they should be in cities. 
  • This thread keeps getting hidden by Cardan owning the other threads.
  • Bump this up. I love this idea =)

• Look on the bright side, folks: this thread hasn't been closed yet - so there's room for negotiation as to whether any ideas in this general area might actually see a non-denial list!
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • Bumpity bump.

I hate to see things go unresolved.
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • In my always humble opinion, this is the perfect solution to what quite a few people see as a "problem", but more than that, it's and idea to resolve a big inconvenience and clear some of those cluttering item numbers just rotting away.

Look deep inside yourself... What would @Tecton do?
  • I think this is a horrible idea. Instead of selling cheap items in shops or giving them away to you cities, you will be able to scrap them. This will totally mess with supply and demand driving up item prices.
  • edited October 2012
    @Kuei said:
    I think this is a horrible idea. Instead of selling cheap items in shops or giving them away to you cities, you will be able to scrap them. This will totally mess with supply and demand driving up item prices.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

[spoiler] No one wants to buy garbage or something that's a few months from decaying. Also, why should I donate my wealth to a city that I don't think deserves it. (some of you do, as for the rest of you...)[/spoiler]
  • Most types of crappy forged items will already be smelted, this would just mean that the single-comm crappy items will similarly be disposed of.

Besides that, there are denizen shops that sell weapons/armour with mediocre stats at low prices, so getting rid of less-than-mediocre forged goods will have essentially zero effect on supply/demand or item prices. Why buy 100 below-average forged daggers when you can get 100 average daggers dirt cheap from Delos?
  • Sorry for laughing.
  • I forge and donate all the weapons and armours our city needs, but forging tons of daggers just to humgii them as they cannot be sold and none wants them.. Or doing 5000 whips to get one with high speed, sure I could give away 300 of them to the city house but the rest? I'm already losing allot of gold by forging and providing comms for free for all houses in Shallam why would it be that bad if I could scrap those items that only requires one comm? yeah you say it's only one comm and it's cheap, but try to realise if you use 1 steel in one item and you do a forge order to get a special speed or damage or protection you can forge 5000, so 5000x91 would be the cost I lost, why is it so wrong that I could get a small amount of that gold back?
  • I'm torn, actually. This idea is incredibly nifty, especially for thieves - "holy crap i got 10000 swords from that autoforger what should i dooooo". However, for knights, this isn't really a change, as they can do this by themselves by smelting.

This does open up a couple of possibilities concerning looting and thieving, or whatever. It's a step closer to the MMO template, but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not..

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • Erasariel said:
    However, for knights, this isn't really a change, as they can do this by themselves by smelting.
    This idea is explicitly for forgers. From the first line of the thread: "There are a lot of items that can be forged that do not have a smelt value." Anything that only uses one comm (such as daggers, whips, bucklers, cavalry shields, javelins) rounds down to 0, so you get nothing (or only the cheap comms) from smelting.
  • Oh, didn't catch that.

I'll say no to this then.

• Erasariel said:
    Oh, didn't catch that.

Doesn't benefit me at all? I don't want it.

• Nevermind, I misread everything. Carry on.

Also, I won't benefit from it 'cause I'm not playing anymore, Peak, so you're right!