Names

Comments

• Caoimhaen said:
    Caoimhaen is gaelic. It means gentleness and/or kindness. I chose it because I liked the sound and it seemed fitting somehow. Me and my friend did a lot of research. That friend is the one who actually suggested Caoimhaen as a name.
    And here I thought you just wanted to be less obvious than Kaevan about naming your character Kevin.
  • CaoimhaenCaoimhaen Targossas
    Jacen said:

I thought he just liked Chinese noodles

Eld said:

Caoimhaen said:

Caoimhaen is gaelic. It means gentleness and/or kindness. I chose it because I liked the sound and it seemed fitting somehow. Me and my friend did a lot of research. That friend is the one who actually suggested Caoimhaen as a name.

And here I thought you just wanted to be less obvious than Kaevan about naming your character Kevin.

@eld haha. Very funny.:P

@jacen rofl. Yes yes. We(we being me and the rat in my pocket) know. And your name I couldn't figure out how you wanted it pronounced. Jae-sen,jah-ken, ja-ken. I settled with the pronunciation of ja-ken. :P

• Caoimhaen said:
    Caoimhaen said:
    @eld haha. Very funny.:P @jacen rofl. Yes yes. We(we being me and the rat in my pocket) know. And your name I couldn't figure out how you wanted it pronounced. Jae-sen,jah-ken, ja-ken. I settled with the pronunciation of ja-ken. :P
    I also assumed @Jacen was just supposed to be an alternate spelling of Jason until someone pointed out it was a Star Wars character.
    Eld said:

Caoimhaen said:

Jacen said:

Eld said:

Caoimhaen said:

@eld haha. Very funny.:P

@jacen rofl. Yes yes. We(we being me and the rat in my pocket) know. And your name I couldn't figure out how you wanted it pronounced. Jae-sen,jah-ken, ja-ken. I settled with the pronunciation of ja-ken. :P

I also assumed @Jacen was just supposed to be an alternate spelling of Jason until someone pointed out it was a Star Wars character.

Really? What character? Granted...I haven't watched it in forever...

• I pronounce it as Jay-sin. Its after Jacen Solo, Han and Leia's son.
    @jacen I have been mispronouncing it this entire time. Haha!

• Berenene was a character that was, at the time, mentioned in passing by another character is a series of books I read in High school.  I like the name and stuck with it.  A few years ago, the author wrote another book, further along in the series which had that character as the antagonist of the main characters from the first series.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • XerXer Langley
    I have no clue why how I came up with Xer >.> Though I was recently made aware that it's Rex backwards! Xer Rex. Rex Xer. Looks like you have a competitor @Ruth!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    T-Xer.
    T-ruth.

D:

Go away @Xer!
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Mild necro, mostly because I never noticed this thread before.

I wound up with Taraus because Tartarus was taken, so I fiddled with removing letters until it worked.

• edited June 2013
    I originally wanted to be a Priest in the Church and Jovolo just sounded like it would fit the part. Then I D:'d at Shallam and the realisation I would have to tri-trans and joined Mhaldor instead.
  • HataruHataru Midwest USA

Hataru = Hotaru, we have already been over this in another thread but I really really just wanted to post more Sailor Saturn gifs.

There was more thought put behind it of course (shocking since I was only 13). I wanted Hat to be a neutral-evil Shaman who worshiped something Deathy in some way and so I felt it pretty fitting to use my favourite anime/show/thing in the world at the time since Sailor Saturn is the Scout of Death and its keeper in retribution and all other scary nature things.

And of course Hataru's ended up way more like Mistress 9 than Sailor Saturn but that's another story in and of itself.
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Melodie says, "Get rekt scrubbbbb."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): You say, "Scrubbbssss."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • @Hataru OMG! the rewatching of sailor moon shall now commence.  : D
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • My name comes from Samurai Sentai Shinkenger - The Japenese/Original version of Power Rangers Samurai

• Riley was my Imperian character, my friends and I from Achaea took part in the early family registration and all chose Gaelic names, when my old Achaea main decided to put down roots, I used the name here too.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I honestly don't remember where I got this name from. I suspect it might have something to do with Scheherazade from the One thousand and One nights, however. In any case, Shirszae was not my first name of choice. I actually had a different one at first, then @Ruth pointed me to the name rules shortly after I finished the  newbie introduction 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I love the name Guinevere, and was shooting for some sort of variation.

• Anedhel is a bastardization of 'Adanedhel', the title given to Turin, son of Hurin, for his features and temperament. I liked the idea of a person beautiful on the outside, and serene-looking, but dark and predisposed to anger and pride underneath. The appearance of perfection hiding very serious flaws, etc.

The world of Achaea, long-standing as it is, provides a great deal of opportunity for molding a character's personality through interaction, and I've found that playing Anedhel somewhat in the vein of his more-or-less namesake has been fairly satisfying; the constant struggle to bite one's tongue, to not reprise with more force than necessary, to attempt to play fair, to believe that one's above certain things, etc.- it's all made for a fun time.
  • Thistlemyst here.

the only criteriae I knew was the following:

I had the class first, then race, and then go build from there with the following picture:

A Sylvan is at peace in the woods, therefore a plant which might be seen even in the mists so that it is not stepped on would be a good thing.

• I had a dream about a badass warrior monk who went around displaying his martial prowess to everyone and anyone in a violent flurry of rage. As I watched the carnage unfold I knew in my heart that his name was Draqoom. Naturally I came to the conclusion that since I was currently perma-shrubbed I would make a new character and this was the obvious choice.

• Another mud I played I wanted to be named Shades but it was taken so I ended up settling for Shadz instead. I thought Shadz sounded a bit silly when I started on Achaea so I extended it to Shadizar. Only to find out it is also the name of the city of evil in the world of Conan the Barbarian. Awesome!

• AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited October 2013
    One day I got a computer from my mother and I had to create a name in order to use the computer. I was still a teenager so my mother wouldn't let me use my real name for anything and she absolutely made sure I didn't. So in order to get an email address and a user name thing to use the internet I had to make-up a name. I was ever defiant and put my actual name in alphabetical order and my mom was like.

So I added the name of the guy I was sort of dating at the time and put them all in pretty little alphabetical order and soon my forever name was born as Achimrst.
  • Achimrst said:
    One day I got a computer from my mother and I had to create a name in order to use the computer. I was still a teenager so my mother wouldn't let me use my real name for anything and she absolutely made sure I didn't. So in order to get an email address and a user name thing to use the internet I had to make-up a name. I was ever defiant and put my actual name in alphabetical order and my mom was like.

So I added the name of the guy I was sort of dating at the time and put them all in pretty little alphabetical order and soon my forever name was born as Achimrst.
    You dated someone named Chrsitmas?
  • TeghaineTeghaine Cape Town - South Africa - Africa (thatcontinentthatlookslikesouthamerica)
    Recently read a lot of alternate history books where I could recognise traditional names with alternate spellings. Think Paetyr Balish from a song of Ice and Fire being the first person with that name, then years later, it evolves into Peter.
    I know someone from primary school called Tegan, and I used to like her a lot. I recently met up with her years after. Name got stuck in my head, so I "devolved" it.
  • Tekk said:
    Achimrst said:

You dated someone named Chrsitmas?
    No, your going to have to try harder than that.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I was really into Icewind Dale when it came out around 2000, and eventually Kresslack became the name of my character when I delved into Achaea and other MUDs. It's from one of the characters in Icewind Dale, a barbarian king by the name of Kresselack who had a large tomb built, then sacrificed all the workers, his servants, and lastly himself. He had thought the effort would win him a seat to rule next tot he God of Death. Instead, he simply returned as a wraith to haunt his elaborate tomb.