Artefact questions and discussion

edited December 2012 in The Matsuhama Arena
so you can use this thread to talk brag about artefacts, ask questions about artefacts and just generally anything you can think of to do with artefacts!

question to start it off: what artefacts should a monk looking to getting into raiding get?

Comments

• tuning fork
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I asked Carmain, he said flowerpots.
  • edited October 2012
    in case you didnt see, i said thanks anyway but i guess that means nothing

edit and i do appreciate you making a post telling me what i should do to better prepare myself, thankyou
  • Achilles said:
    Cooper said:
    If you don't want to take combat advice from me, well, then your loss, really.

Go buy your level 3 gauntlets when you can't focus and take a billion damage from everyone and die in two hits.
    Going to buy gauntlets next.  Apparently you get somewhere between 1,000,000,001-2,000,000,000 health
    I will confirm that. Please be sure to list Cahin as your referrer.

• Considering that there's already a Quick Questions thread, you are better off asking your question there. Though given your...ah, forum attitude, I doubt you'll get far either. I will echo Cooper's recommendation that you transcend your necessary skills first. But don't mind me.

• At least transcend avoidance, your class skills and survival before you look into artefacts. Weaponry to shatter, as well, will help. 

Don't be one of those guys that has no idea what they're doing and buys artefacts and still loses to everyone. You will not get respect and it will not make you better.

•  im not planning on buying artefacts yet, i was just asking the question of which ones would you get and yeah ill trans those skills and @garao what does shatter do?

• edited October 2012
    and sorry if i seems offensive i didnt mean to...
    i dont want to make any enemies or such
    so... sorry
  • Jespar said:
      what does shatter do?

Pretend artifacts don't exist until you can explain why you need them and what they do. For example: you get webbed all the time, you don't feel like getting webbed anymore, you see if there is an artefact that can fix this problem, and what do you know.. HEY THERE IS.

I sure which my eq recovered faster... etc.

Don't plan on buying them like you're doing. Buy them because they're convenient/make things easier. They don't make things any easier unless you already know what to do.
  • Garao said:
    Don't be one of those guys that has no idea what they're doing and buys artefacts and still loses to everyone. You will not get respect and it will not make you better.
    I did that! I did Transcend all relevant skills first though, just much too fast to learn them properly.

Shatter targets a limb and does heavy limb damage to it (plus some normal damage). You want good speed and damage because it's slow (has a windup) and you most likely want to break in one shot.

Diadem is good for monk raiding, for faster chokes and other Kaido/Telepathy. Wings helps you run away when you get split from the group (or run into a trap, but it's all fun).
    Depending on your Int, a collar makes for some nice extra damage from chokes and mind crush.

Ultimately though, get what you think will be fun. No point sinking money into the game and then not enjoying your new toys.
  • Jespar said:
    and sorry if i seems offensive i didnt mean to...
    i dont want to make any enemies or such
    so... sorry

Don't mind all the wet blankets, they are generally sour no matter how good they are doing.

Get to know your class really well. Certain artifacts will be a better fit for you than others. After you trans your skills and still looking to throw down money, you can never go wrong with some bracelets or a sip ring

I -am- the Cataclysm Switchblade.
  • as your a part of Ashtan then Earrings earrings and more earrings. Other than that, Diadem, +2 int, level 2 collar, buckawn(Very much needed as both teams uses web/transfix/hangedman/imaple) With a buckawn you can get out and survive. Other than that Shackle is aways nice no need to remember to keep mass up. Wings. Then you can buy sip ring, +con and +str but wouldn't bother, as a raiding monk So that's the tips from me on artefacts and as you already explained you will trans your skills first
  • Before you buy any arties also make sure you trans Fitness and Philosophy first.
  • If you're looking for a defensive buff, I recommend transing all your miniskills before getting artefacts, as the damage reduction is better bang for your buck.
    My free mudlet scripts can be had HERE.
  • It's very possible for a Monk to kick ass without needing artefacts.  And yeah - I flat out echo Peak's statement up there.  Learn all your skills and how they work, then think about what artefact would be -helpful- or -convenient- to you.  I refuse to get any arties till I'm tri-transed at the very least unless I get lucky and get one for free somehow.

Honestly, the only type of artefact I would even consider before transcending/learning is a crit pendant to make bashing easier.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway

It is possible for any class to do well without artefacts. The level of artefacts just affects the levels of patience required. As an unartied monk you would need a lot of patience.

Artefacts don't have a huge impact on offense as much as they used to, artefacts tend to stack more on the defensive side. Magi and Occultist are probably an except to this as the collar boost to multiple sources of damage at once can be very painful to handle.

I might also be missing a few things.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Don't know anything about monks and their offensive artefacts, but for Serpents artie bows are terrible, beautiful things, particularly in groups.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • edited October 2012
    I was artied long before I had even the faintest clue about combat (although most of them weren't primary combat artefacts), and I'm still less knowledgeable than artied. Slowly catching up though.

It's not an utterly horrible thing to spend credits before gaining knowledge. Just don't expect yourself to magically dominate everyone else in combat all of a sudden, but that should be obvious.
    Sohl said:
    If you're looking for a defensive buff, I recommend transing all your miniskills before getting artefacts, as the damage reduction is better bang for your buck.
    I guess it depends on what class you are and what kinds of offence you are having problems with. Miniskills provide good damage reduction for their cost, but only for non-physical attacks. So if you have problems with physical damage and already transed avoidance, a SoA/sip ring will be more useful. The same applies if you also want some bashing buffs. Most people won't really need to trans all miniskills urgently, since some damage types aren't really that great threats to begin with.
  • As a monk, one of the better artefacts you can get for raiding is telepathy.

• I hate it when people buy offensive artefacts, or even think to before they max out their skill at playing that class. So no knuckles/gaunts/etc yet. Armband is fine tho.
  • edited October 2012
    Jespar said:
     im not planning on buying artefacts yet, i was just asking the question of which ones would you get and yeah ill trans those skills and @garao what does shatter do?

I meant mainly so you could be at a sufficient skill level in weaponry for accurate envenomed throwing, as well as having access to shatter (Which is a delayed limb damage ability that will generally break a limb in a single hit, providing the damage is high enough -- easy to achieve.) 

Once you do start looking at artefacts... it depends really on whether you want to engage mostly in group/raiding combat or 1v1. Personally, I would go for a diadem+int artefacts and a sip ring. The point is, though, if you don't even know what artefacts are going to benefit you, please don't invest your money in them. 

• edited October 2012
    Vaehl said:
    I hate it when people buy offensive artefacts, or even think to before they max out their skill at playing that class.
    How do you define the point where you "maxed out your skill at playing your class"? I think there are extremely few combatants who don't still improve their skills with their class here and there. Not doing so is usually more a mark of complacency than mastery.
  • edited October 2012
    I'm exaggerating by "maxed out", but I mean don't jump into combat with l3 gauntlets or a l3 dirk and rely completely on them. People normally do really well when they get good without the artefacts, then add them on for the extra boost. It's more with serpent, though, people grabbing l3 dirk and then sucking.

Fighting tougher opponents without offensive artefacts forces innovation and gives you more intimate knowledge of your class skills, and I'd be more afraid of someone who had artefacts and was able to adapt to what I was doing than someone with l3s repeating something over and over.
  • My thought process for artefacts goes: if I don't know what to get, don't get anything. I only buy anything when I get to the point where I'm screaming at myself for not having it (and when I actually have the credits for it). Right now I'm close to screaming at myself for not having an arte elm pipe, but I'm delaying that purchase until I really really really want to get it.
  • I'm screaming at myself for not having a Hood of the Sphinx.
    Actually it's more like weeping, but yeah.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • @Kalvon spar more Jesters