Artefact Bows Nerf - Announce 3940

Comments

• I think the wish is to be able to kill the firewalls that allow people to keep firing.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Jules said:
    I think the wish is to be able to kill the firewalls that allow people to keep firing.
    Something we will look at in the future, no immediate plans for this though
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Looking good so far. Thank you @Tecton for bringing SNIPE accuracy back up. Though it should be 100% (without aim) if target is asleep/paralysed and there is no obstruction - no matter what. I agree that without aiming, there should be a *small* chance of missing a snipe. We have wind, aim, and snipe - plus we can use artefact bows and take marksman trait. All of these things are the perks of Serpent. This does not mean we should expect to have 100% perfect shots every time as that wouldn't be very organic.

If a target is sleeping or paralysed, 1 room away, you have aim, snipe, marksman, l3 bow and you miss... which should not happen under any circumstances, but IF IT DOES -- there should be an in game message that looks something like this:
    You pull an arrow from your quiver and nock it to your bow.
    You draw in a deep breath and begin to focus your aim on Jovolo.
    You feel confident that your aim is accurate.
    You train your expert eye on Jovolo and let fly an arrow with breathtaking precision.
    Your aim augments the flight of your arrow.
    You miss Jovolo, even though he's paralysed and asleep.
    You have been slain by misadventure.
    Derp.

Aside from that, hopefully more people will be entering melee as a result of this. Or perhaps all of Mhaldor will switch to serpent because their botnet just took a huge nerf. =))
  • After pre-Snipe boost change, if you aimed with no obstruction you hit 100% of the time already. With the Snipe boost it'll mainly just bump the percent up a little on dry-sniping, which (based on the Icon raid yesterday) is very good.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• @Taraus: No, that's eventually suggested in pretty much every extended discussion about bows. May as well introduce an Achaean version of Godwin's law: "As a discussion about bows grows longer, the probability of flaming arrows being suggested approaches 1."
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Oh, okay. Never actually paid attention to them before because I didn't have a bow! (and for the record, it was 95% tongue-in-cheek)

• Tecton said:
    Firewalls don't currently interfere with archery accuracy, just stone and ice. As we look at more ways to try and bring ranged and melee combat into unison, there may be changes in that regard.
    Where to lightwalls fit in?
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Oh my god light arrows. Yesssss.

We have fire and light, now we need ice!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Melodie said:

Oh my god light arrows. Yesssss.

We have fire and light, now we need ice!

Do you realize how much of a pain it's going to be to code a Gerudo Training Grounds?

• Ice arrows don't make sense. Fire arrows yeah I see that. Light arrows? Like how does light attach to a fired arrow? I don't have any bow abilities, but as a Samurai, I mean blademaster that would be cool you could call it Kyudo.  B-)
    Just a Grook, member of House Mojushai and proud citizen of Cyrene.

- 2013/09/14 10:48:03 - Yxty says, "I will think about that while i punch this sheep."
  • Phraag said:
    Ice arrows don't make sense. Fire arrows yeah I see that. Light arrows? Like how does light attach to a fired arrow? I don't have any bow abilities, but as a Samurai, I mean blademaster that would be cool you could call it Kyudo.  B-)
    Aurora's blessing as they pass through the light?
  • First of all, light bow.

Second of all, couple questions to clarify.
    1. What did the bonus through icewall business refer to in Tecton's stats? arrows miss through icewalls, right?
    2. Someone asked, but does dex/etc apply in the accuracy scheme of arrows, and does entanglement/etc reduce dodginess as normal? The statement that sleep didn't affect it leads me to think no... but then why? Dex is already so underwhelming of a stat, that wouldn't seem right.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • sleeping/prone makes sense.

you're flat on the ground, that's hard to hit!

I do wonder about paralysis, and entanglements though.

(prone should make arrows harder to hit, that'd be a fun balancing mechanic to play with,  The arrow changing damage type through fire/lightwalls would be cool a shit, too.  Please implement.)

• Jhui said:
    you're flat on the ground, that's hard to hit!
    What if you're flat on the ground in a hole behind a tree though? WHAT THEN?
  • that would be Delphinus burrowing, and the only way to kill that is with @bonko level griefing
  • Or gnome friends.

• Strata said:
    Looking good so far. Thank you @Tecton for bringing SNIPE accuracy back up. Though it should be 100% (without aim) if target is asleep/paralysed and there is no obstruction - no matter what. I agree that without aiming, there should be a *small* chance of missing a snipe. We have wind, aim, and snipe - plus we can use artefact bows and take marksman trait. All of these things are the perks of Serpent. This does not mean we should expect to have 100% perfect shots every time as that wouldn't be very organic.

If a target is sleeping or paralysed, 1 room away, you have aim, snipe, marksman, l3 bow and you miss... which should not happen under any circumstances, but IF IT DOES -- there should be an in game message that looks something like this:
    You pull an arrow from your quiver and nock it to your bow.
    You draw in a deep breath and begin to focus your aim on Jovolo.
    You feel confident that your aim is accurate.
    You train your expert eye on Jovolo and let fly an arrow with breathtaking precision.
    Your aim augments the flight of your arrow.
    You miss Jovolo, even though he's paralysed and asleep.
    You have been slain by misadventure.
    Derp.

Aside from that, hopefully more people will be entering melee as a result of this. Or perhaps all of Mhaldor will switch to serpent because their botnet just took a huge nerf. =))
    ..I'm taking that quote. :)

• Achaea Physics (tm)
  • I always thought sniping increased damage.. but if it's just accuracy, it seems a little trivial now, except that I can snipe without aiming.

Shooting people dead with absolute precision with my eyes closed.

• I'm like 90% sure being blind no mindseye will make you hit never.
  • Mizik said:

I'm like 90% sure being blind no mindseye will make you hit never.

I will have to test this later. o.o