Minor Traits

Comments

• Kai and Shin are both pretty unique resources, and tarot inscribing could be considered a trade skill.  As could totems/runelore, really.

But personally, I feel monk's fairly well covered at least.
  • something for kai or shin would be nice...

• Nah, kaido just got addressed with the classleads and shin generation is pretty good as is. The classleads addressed a few issues with monks and if you're a raiding monk you already have a great selection of minor traits so it's ok.
  • what about something for the flip side of the coin...

say you're a young monk and not tri-trans/quad-trans yet. Those kids usually get chucked on kai-monkey duties. What if the trait was not to make the choker more receptive to gaining kai, but it empowered the person performing kai combo to give a small percentage more energy?

As for shin, since that's gathered off others, same deal. 'hit me for shin', kid is more in tune with their inner energy and so on to be able to help that way

• Anaidiana said:

what about something for the flip side of the coin...

say you're a young monk and not tri-trans/quad-trans yet. Those kids usually get chucked on kai-monkey duties. What if the trait was not to make the choker more receptive to gaining kai, but it empowered the person performing kai combo to give a small percentage more energy?

As for shin, since that's gathered off others, same deal. 'hit me for shin', kid is more in tune with their inner energy and so on to be able to help that way

Well, those still wouldn't give monks and blademasters class-specific traits in the sense that seems to be under discussion, since those would be traits for any class to take to be more helpful in group combat, provided they have monk or blademaster friends. Also the drawback of giving your opponents more kai/shin would likely be larger than the benefit you'd get for group combat.
  • Penwize said:
    Kai and Shin are both pretty unique resources, and tarot inscribing could be considered a trade skill.  As could totems/runelore, really.

But personally, I feel monk's fairly well covered at least.
    Kai and shin aren't directly comparable to devotion/karma/essence, as they are much more short term resources, which results in an entirely different combat impact. To make an extreme example: unlimited kai would be far more OP than, say, unlimited karma. Totems/runelore - well, it depends which aspects thereof you mean. Some aspects of it have a strong and direct impact on combat, but something like a trait giving increased planting speed I'd find all right. Same goes for faster tarot inscribing.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Implanting takes 5 minutes with a gauntlet. It takes three times longer to uproot. I think speeding that up would skewer the balance during totem wars.

I'm mostly just reflecting on Mhaldor vs Targossas and how frustrating that ended up for the folk involved.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Put in a tekura trait that increases tekura damage by 5% but requires you to go through each of the forms every IG day.

That is sure to screw with the minmaxers.

i'm a rebel

• I'd say leave Shin alone, because the amount of freaking whining that would come with a 'Shin buff' of any kind would just be unimaginable.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Any kind of blademaster buff will result in mass riots.

i'm a rebel

• EldEld
    edited September 2013
    Master Topiarist

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

Blah, video broken, and couldn't find any good clips of people trimming hedges with katanas, anyway.
  • KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited September 2013
    Kyrra said:
    Implanting takes 5 minutes with a gauntlet. It takes three times longer to uproot. I think speeding that up would skewer the balance during totem wars. I'm mostly just reflecting on Mhaldor vs Targossas and how frustrating that ended up for the folk involved.
    7.5mins to implant with a gauntlet...

Don't make me take away your totem crown!

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Katzchen, the crown speeds up planting. (or I do so much totem work that I no longer pay attention other than the quantity of totems getting manhandled)

I think it's balanced how it is. Making it any faster just means a handful of people could just totem up Mhaldor Isle (or any other area), tune against the city and getting them uprooted again would be twice as frustrating.

I'd be curious to get @Savira's thoughts since she's the only other person I know that does mass totem work. I personally think the times are fine as is, and gauntlets make a significant difference to toteming without one.

Wouldn't actually mind a trait that halved the commodity cost to make totems though.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Tesha said:
    Put in a tekura trait that increases tekura damage by 5% but requires you to go through each of the forms every IG day.

That is sure to screw with the minmaxers.
    a single form takes 54 seconds to complete. there are 11 forms... that would be 9 minutes and 54 seconds. Every hour... thats 16.5% of the hour spent to get 5%? yea.... no...
  • @Traxtin: Why on earth would you reply as if that was a serious suggestion?
  • Any sort of class specific, or related traits should be removed from minor traits. Traits should have class specific traits as well as general traits. Minor traits should be mainly geared towards RP, and trade skills.
    Just a Grook, member of House Mojushai and proud citizen of Cyrene.

- 2013/09/14 10:48:03 - Yxty says, "I will think about that while i punch this sheep."
  • Phraag said:
    Any sort of class specific, or related traits should be removed from minor traits. Traits should have class specific traits as well as general traits. Minor traits should be mainly geared towards RP, and trade skills.
    What?
  • Eld said:
    Phraag said:
    Any sort of class specific, or related traits should be removed from minor traits. Traits should have class specific traits as well as general traits. Minor traits should be mainly geared towards RP, and trade skills.
    What?
    Sorry, I was talking about Major traits having class specific traits.

- 2013/09/14 10:48:03 - Yxty says, "I will think about that while i punch this sheep."
  • You could add a few flavour traits for all classes and put them in their own category. Like... you get a class trait slot at level 40 and you could have your herb-things or totem-things or shin-things there or whatnot.
  • Sasiya said:
    You could add a few flavour traits for all classes and put them in their own category. Like... you get a class trait slot at level 40 and you could have your herb-things or totem-things or shin-things there or whatnot.

No. Shin. Buffs.
  • Could easily have a 'shin buff' that just changed how the lines look like instead of any mechanics change (ie cosmetics changes). That'd be fitting for minor traits, and you could have a ton of them for all the different class abilities

• Sylvance said:
    Sasiya said:
    You could add a few flavour traits for all classes and put them in their own category. Like... you get a class trait slot at level 40 and you could have your herb-things or totem-things or shin-things there or whatnot.

No. Shin. Buffs.
    Y you mad tho?

Veldrin said:
    Could easily have a 'shin buff' that just changed how the lines look like instead of any mechanics change (ie cosmetics changes). That'd be fitting for minor traits, and you could have a ton of them for all the different class abilities
    Yes! Even more useless traits; you yourself have stated that the minor traits are pretty useless. 

• edited September 2013

Phraag said: some stuff
    Heh, I'm not mad brah, just stating that BMs do not need buffing right now. Hell, they only just got balanced through classleads, and some would say they're still OP (#xithisnthappywithhisclass).

And there is no contradiction between @Veldrin's comments. BIG difference between a useless mechanical change and a cosmetic change that serves no mechanical benefit. Else customisations wouldn't exist.

• Sylvance said:
    Sasiya said:

No. Shin. Buffs.
    Fine, then give BM accuracy buff.
  • Sylvance said:
    And there is no contradiction between @Veldrin's comments. BIG difference between a useless mechanical change and a cosmetic change that serves no mechanical benefit. Else customisations wouldn't exist.
    That's fine I just read this as useless cosmetic change that serves no useless mechanical benefit.

• Nyboe said:

Sylvance said:
    Sasiya said:

No. Shin. Buffs.
    It's called Thyr.

• Eld said:
    Nyboe said:

Sylvance said:
    Sasiya said:

No. Shin. Buffs.
    It's called Thyr.
    I still can't hit avoidance serpents. Not even just serpents, I am missing against any artied dex spec avoidance classes like about 20 percent of the time. And I don't use Thyr stance, shin gain after every infusion only nets to 3 which is slow. I guess I should stop infusing on every attack, which is a dumb concept if I do have to turn to that.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Just open everything up already please? Let people be every class and every trait all at once - all the time - for free - without any credit purchase.
    Of course, I'm just being facetious. But it sure sounds like that's what some people are asking for.

Having to make decisions on which race, class, which traits, which specializations, skillsets to learn, which artefacts to purchase, which organizations to align yourself with, etc... These are all things that would hopefully define your character and give you as a player the most enjoyment. There's many reasons why people class-hop or create alts. And there's certainly nothing wrong with it so long as it is for your own enjoyment and/or learning experience.
    But I personally disagree with people who "just get bored" or "pissed off so-and-so or such-and-such org in game", so instead of taking the opportunity to PLAY THEIR CHARACTER through such events or turmoils, they just go "Oh... oops... Well I f***k'd that up... Guess I'll create a new alt and start over." Damn - I wish fixing IRL problems were that easy.